Terrain / Cover

Forum for the Panzer Battles games series
Koldobika

Terrain / Cover

Post by Koldobika »

I have had some difficulty in getting my mindset right as a typical Squad Battles player.

One thing that's been a focus from SB is that if you're in open terrain, you're in massive trouble. Clearly they reflects reality at a lower level and with the reduced ranges.

I've been trying to maintain the same approach in PzB but would I be correct in saying this is likely to cause harm in that there will be micro terrain within even clear hexes which is abstracted by an overall reduced lethality?
Strela

Re: Terrain / Cover

Post by Strela »

Koldobika wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:49 pm I have had some difficulty in getting my mindset right as a typical Squad Battles player.

One thing that's been a focus from SB is that if you're in open terrain, you're in massive trouble. Clearly they reflects reality at a lower level and with the reduced ranges.

I've been trying to maintain the same approach in PzB but would I be correct in saying this is likely to cause harm in that there will be micro terrain within even clear hexes which is abstracted by an overall reduced lethality?
Correct. There is less 'lethality' in 'clear' terrain in PzB. I am the lead designer on PzB and I had a very rude awakening the first time I played Squad Battles (SqB).

The other thing to keep in mind is the time scales. At 30 minutes in PzB there is more averaging of losses compared to the impact in SqB.
Koldobika

Post by Koldobika »

Strela wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:38 pm
Koldobika wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:49 pm I have had some difficulty in getting my mindset right as a typical Squad Battles player.

Correct. There is less 'lethality' in 'clear' terrain in PzB. I am the lead designer on PzB and I had a very rude awakening the first time I played Squad Battles (SqB).

The other thing to keep in mind is the time scales. At 30 minutes in PzB there is more averaging of losses compared to the impact in SqB.
Thanks Strela - much appreciated.

If I might ask another question; would you say it is also the case that due to the scales of the battles involved, i.e. mainly battalion attacks with companies as the manoeuvre elements, there is less scope for initial flanking attacks, as the enemy is typically in a prepared defence, and that most of the time you are looking to effect a penetration and to 'break in' to the enemy lines, more akin to you would seek to do in Panzer Campaigns?
Strela

Post by Strela »

Koldobika wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:41 am
Thanks Strela - much appreciated.

If I might ask another question; would you say it is also the case that due to the scales of the battles involved, i.e. mainly battalion attacks with companies as the manoeuvre elements, there is less scope for initial flanking attacks, as the enemy is typically in a prepared defence, and that most of the time you are looking to effect a penetration and to 'break in' to the enemy lines, more akin to you would seek to do in Panzer Campaigns?
Honestly, it depends on the situation.

I point people to the following blog entry to understand some of the nuance to playing Panzer Battles. It really does fill a middle ground between Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns and you have to 'unlearn' some things to get the most out of what can be quite a subtle system.

I wrote this particular blog post, just after North Africa 1941 came out to explain some considerations during play - particularly how to think of the units that make up a battalion: https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/battli ... obruk-full.

In this example it is, as you mention a penetration and break of the line, but in many of the North Africa scenarios there is very little in the way of contiguous fronts and it is all manoeuvre based. A very different proposition to Kursk and to a lesser extent Normandy.

When you look at the Compass, Brevity and Battleaxe scenarios, it is all movement as compared to the storming of Tobruk and Bardia. The system handles each situation equally well.

Do fire away if you have further questions as there is a learning process to all.