Western Campaign Game.

Forum for the Civil War Battles games series
stormbringer3

Western Campaign Game.

Post by stormbringer3 »

I currently have Shenandoah. I'm looking to buy a Western title. I only play vs. the AI and I like small and mid-size scenarios the best. I know that Ozark has small size scenarios but since it's one of the earliest titles I wonder if one of the later titles would be better. I'm thinking that over the years the Campaign Games would only get better.
Thank you for any opinions.
Dion

Re: Western Campaign Game.

Post by Dion »

I believe Shiloh is in the Western theatre. A lot effort has been devoted to AI development and graphics over the years, so I don't think the age of the title matters as much as it used too.
ACWGC

Post by ACWGC »

Corinth is a good option in the West if you are looking for a lot of small and medium battles to play. Corinth and Iuka are okay but the title excels with their "what-if" offerings.

If you ever want to get a full breakdown of the titles you can check out this Scenario Guide area. It breaks each title down and gives you information on the best scenarios to play and the numbers involved.
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

ACWGC wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:04 pm Corinth is a good option in the West if you are looking for a lot of small and medium battles to play. Corinth and Iuka are okay but the title excels with their "what-if" offerings.

If you ever want to get a full breakdown of the titles you can check out this Scenario Guide area. It breaks each title down and gives you information on the best scenarios to play and the numbers involved.
@stormbringer3
As noted above, a treasure trove of amazing and highly recommended reading.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

That Scenario Guide is a wonderful link, lots of great information. I also came across ACWGCs' A Game and a Chair videos which rated the top ten Civil War Battles and gave the pros and cons of each. That was also very helpful. Four of the top 5 were Western Campaign games.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I decided to buy Campaign Atlanta.
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

Chickamauga should figure in the future on your list too, I suggest
Bart Power

Post by Bart Power »

I have Ozark and enjoy the smaller scale scenarios in that game. Forgotten Campaigns has the New Mexico and Missouri Campaigns as well.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Do you have other titles besides Ozark? How does it compare to the others since it's one of the earliest titles? An earlier poster said that the age of the title doesn't matter as much as it used to.
Thanks.
Bart Power

Post by Bart Power »

I own Shiloh, Forgotten Campaigns, and the Demo. To me, all are comparable in play ability. Also, I agree that the age of the title likely doesn't matter so much since the WDS team has kept the engines updated.