Blog Post - Panzer Campaigns Announcement

Forum for official news from Wargame Design Studio
rahamy

Blog Post - Panzer Campaigns Announcement

Post by rahamy »

Panzer Campaigns News - Looking ahead to what is coming down the pike...

https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/panzer ... ening-1945
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
3-37 Armor

Re: Blog Post - Panzer Campaigns Announcement

Post by 3-37 Armor »

Nice to see something new coming out and just around the corner, I really do admire the work that Indragnir does with all of his projects, and his research and attention to detail are remarkable.

Now for the comments that are sure to make me unpopular: I doubt very highly that I will be purchasing this title, since to me it appears to be just a map and OOB extension of Budapest '45, number of scenarios notwithstanding. Maybe if the map area had included Austria and Vienna (it doesn't appear to in any of the previews but am I missing something?), I'd bite. While not exactly the same thing, it sort of reminds me of a DLC. Also, it's yet again another Eastern Front title and honestly, from my perspective it appears that for the foreseeable future, that's all I can expect to see when it comes to PzC. I know you mention two others are in development, but I assume at least one of them is the continuation of the Rumyantsev/Orel series.

If you continue to do late war EF things, please in the future consider something concerning East Prussia, the Vistula/Oder Operation, or even the final offensive to take Berlin. Maybe you could pay some attention to the West Front. Here a redo and enlargement of some older standards like Normandy '44, and Bulge '44 could be accomplished (a lot of the map and OOB work for these looks to already be in place - but who am I to know?). Something covering the Rhine crossing and driving to the Elbe might be considered too.

Anyway, I'll continue to support WDS and enjoy your excellent work. Just not for this time. All the above is just my opinion and intended as constructive commentary only.
Strela

Post by Strela »

3-37 Armor wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:02 pm Nice to see something new coming out and just around the corner, I really do admire the work that Indragnir does with all of his projects, and his research and attention to detail are remarkable.

Now for the comments that are sure to make me unpopular: I doubt very highly that I will be purchasing this title, since to me it appears to be just a map and OOB extension of Budapest '45, number of scenarios notwithstanding. Maybe if the map area had included Austria and Vienna (it doesn't appear to in any of the previews but am I missing something?), I'd bite. While not exactly the same thing, it sort of reminds me of a DLC. Also, it's yet again another Eastern Front title and honestly, from my perspective it appears that for the foreseeable future, that's all I can expect to see when it comes to PzC. I know you mention two others are in development, but I assume at least one of them is the continuation of the Rumyantsev/Orel series.

If you continue to do late war EF things, please in the future consider something concerning East Prussia, the Vistula/Oder Operation, or even the final offensive to take Berlin. Maybe you could pay some attention to the West Front. Here a redo and enlargement of some older standards like Normandy '44, and Bulge '44 could be accomplished (a lot of the map and OOB work for these looks to already be in place - but who am I to know?). Something covering the Rhine crossing and driving to the Elbe might be considered too.

Anyway, I'll continue to support WDS and enjoy your excellent work. Just not for this time. All the above is just my opinion and intended as constructive commentary only.
Thanks for your commentary. I think this is as good as anywhere to provide a little more context.

Firstly, thank you for your support over the years, we have personally interacted due to your Gettysburg mod work and I know you have a deep interest in Panzer Campaigns.

Like all things, a decision to buy any of our titles is up to the individual, if it doesn't meet your criteria then that is a personal decision.

Secondy, I want to tackle the DLC comment, particularly as it pertains to Spring Awakening. For the existing titles that were purchased with the acquisition of John Tiller Software, such as Panzer Campaigns Budapest '45, the integration of all new and available content was done at the point that the Gold Releases were published back in 2017/2018. In fact, Wargame Design Studio did all the Gold work, new graphics, content aggregation and other tasks for gratis at the time.

We are now at the point where we have to earn something for the content we are putting out there. We have continued to expand the number of free demos as well as essentially supporting software that was sold through a number of prior companies that we never received a cent for. That is on us, and is important from a 'marketing' perspective, but we can't maintain the current level of support, let alone fund new projects without asking the community to pay for new content.

We would never have green-lit Spring Awakening '45 if it was purely a DLC for Budapest '45. I also know that Cesar would not have done the work he has, if it was a low or non-paying DLC. It is also worth pointing out that the new title required a significant amount of research, with much newly released since Budapest '45 was released in 2007. We have seen the same thing with other 'overlapping' titles such as Scheldt '44 (Market-Garden '44) and Rumyantsev '43 & Orel '43 (Kursk '43). The fact is that in Spring Awakening, there is 60+ scenarios at a very playable scale compared to some bigger titles, and if this title had been a DLC you may have got a quarter of that total, at most.

This brings us to the question of how much content should be in a title. We have an internal target for each series and Spring Awakening is essentially where we want it to be. Cesar has looked at the Vienna operation, including as part of Spring Awakening and we made the decision that we had enough for the current release. Whether the Vienna content is made available either as a standalone paid title or an addition to Spring Awakening is not determined and will ultimately be a discussion between the involved parties. The only time we may make 'new' DLC/Content available will be for titles originally published by WDS, so Spring Awakening is a candidate if we choose to go that path.

The other reason that this is not a free or low-cost DLC is that on a relative basis WDS titles are cheap. Not necessarily against other PC games, but against comparable paper and cardboard wargames. I can find exactly two Spring Awakening games on BoardgameGeek with one being an expansion for a miniatures game system and the other an insert game from the World at War magazine from Decision Games https://boardgamegeek.com/image/5617580 ... march-1945 at a cost of $34.95. That has precisely one campaign scenario and some variants all at a Corps level, so no where near the granularity included in the Panzer Campaigns series.

Moving onto topic choice, we have numerous projects in development. When they become available for announcement and sales is dependent on both the individual developer as well as the availability of internal resources here at WDS. We have been very fortunate to have a number of very talented individuals and teams who are generating more Panzer Campaigns titles than ever before. There is a reason you have seen an increase in the number of titles released over the last couple of years. It so happens that a number of the Eastern Front titles have all come to fruition in the same time period, but that does not mean we are not working on other theatres. We in fact do have an extensive plan for the Western Front as you suggest, but nothing far enough along for revelation at this time. It is similar for the East Prussia/Vistula/Berlin operations, we need all the parts to fall into place, not least being an applicable map before any of these can proceed.

Finally, your commentary is definitely taken as 'constructive'. We are walking a number of fine lines, firstly not overpromising before titles are close to release and secondly a need to get paid for the work we publish. Spring Awakening definitely fits into that category and is needed to allow us to continue to invest to improve all of the WDS series.
Dion

Post by Dion »

A DLC is only 1/2 as good as a new title. Not only do you get a whole bunch of new scenarios with a new title, but you also receive the benefits of highly scrutinized, detailed research in a new title.

Highly excited for the future of this series, as Strela points out there are many golden opportunities left for this series, and I'm anticipating all of them.
Indragnir

Post by Indragnir »

3-37 Armor wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:02 pm since to me it appears to be just a map and OOB extension of Budapest '45
Thank you for your kind words. However I do not agree with the above:

Just to mention a few items.
On the Axis side:
1-2-9-12 SS-Panzer Divisions were not in Budapest (that means I-SS Panzer Korps, II-S Panzer Korps). That includes the totally unique 1-SS Panzer Division, whose TO&E is different from any WW2 division.
The first combined arms units of WW2 (an engineer company with MRLS, AA, flamethrowers and heavy machine guns).
Elite Assault Engineers (Taifun unit)
The entire 2nd Panzer Army was not in Budapest. (Including 16-SS PanzerGrenadier Division, a Kossacken division and a Luftwaffen field division, 2 types of italian tanks, armored trains, 5x Kampfgruppen full of motley formations ).

Soviet side:
Two entire armies never seen in Panzer Campaigns! (Bulgarians and Yugoslavians. The former used Pz IV against the Axis in this battle)
The Soviets used here for the first time (Three) SU Anti-Tank Brigades including Reconnaissance, Engineers and AA elements (plus 63 SU-100 each one!)
Motorcycle Regiments used the full TO&E (they have armor, mortars, AT guns, half-tracks).
The Soviets used in large formations captured German AFVs, for example they put more than a dozen Hummel self-propelled artillery as Assault Guns! (even Flak 8.8 guns on VOMAG carriages).
The Soviets used captured German anti-tank guns (like the Avenger Battalion).
The Soviets used American bombers in this battle.

A lot of research was done on this title, I don't think this OOB is an extension of Budapest'45.

While it is true that the terrain between the Valence and Balaton lakes is familiar terrain, the entire left flank is not. A full Korps from 2nd Panzer Army fought in Yugoslavia in this battle.

I'm not trying to convince you, I just wanted to give my opinion. I truly respect your view.
Aragorn2002

Post by Aragorn2002 »

3-37 Armor wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:02 pm Now for the comments that are sure to make me unpopular: I doubt very highly that I will be purchasing this title, since to me it appears to be just a map and OOB extension of Budapest '45, number of scenarios notwithstanding. Maybe if the map area had included Austria and Vienna (it doesn't appear to in any of the previews but am I missing something?), I'd bite. While not exactly the same thing, it sort of reminds me of a DLC. Also, it's yet again another Eastern Front title and honestly, from my perspective it appears that for the foreseeable future, that's all I can expect to see when it comes to PzC. I know you mention two others are in development, but I assume at least one of them is the continuation of the Rumyantsev/Orel series.

I will buy it, but I completly agree with Armor, with exception of the attention for the West Front (I'm an East Front freak). But that's just my personal opinion and it's good to see another title, which will no doubt make many people happy. Well done.

I also would welcome some more news about the other titles planned for this year, if possible.
erick_repie

Post by erick_repie »

I hope the grand campaign is against AI too, not just HTH.
Can you spill the Russian OOB in the grand campaign?

peace,
3-37 Armor

Post by 3-37 Armor »

Strela,

I agree with your position regarding free upgrades/updates and DLC. Somewhere, somehow, sales need to be made so that operations can continue.

Your explanation concerning what I took as an East Front "glut" makes perfect sense, and while I can't say that I'm the most patient person, knowing that there is research and work ongoing in areas I mentioned gives cause for hope. I guess we'll get there when we get there.

I certainly hope you're not getting over extended, and that the production schedule goes smoothly for you. Truth be told there are more than a few historical wargame publishers out there, but you are the only ones that consistently meet my expectations for quality, scale, and content. I hope you continue to succeed.

Everyone has their preferences, and while I appreciate all of the effort, I still think I'll be sitting "Spring Awakening" out however.
Squadman45

Post by Squadman45 »

Great new!!! for me, Budapest45 is the best title in the PzC serie, for me is with Tunis43 best entry games into PzC and a joy to play because you dont need monster battles to have fun, you have a campaign/battle you can play with time and space to take decisions.

Only thing i never like a lot in Budapest45 was the to small units because fatigue usually hit to hard the small axis uits when fight as companies and soviet battlalions are destroyed before they start to notice fatigue.

I notice units are a little bigger in Spring Awakening and for me, this fix the only negative point i see in Budapest45 (from a gameplay perspective)

If i dont remember bad, there was a scenario for Budapest45 covering the north part of Lake Balaton battle, designed by Sergio Navarro, but was a "pre McNamara" scen and uses the old OOBs style.

Talking about DLCs/Expansions i see this as a good option to expand, using a released title, the scenarios we can play that are unable generate enough content to release in a new title.

I allways thing demos could be a good "base game" where add things we can see other way, apart you can release pills to keep things moving between titles.

Anyway, a new release is allways wellcome, now i have Spring Awakening in my top for next bulk buy, summer is going to be fun.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Here my initial feelings are in agreement with the opening
Post. Whilst the 60 scenarios available is a great number with lots of choice the time period for the campaign and the map size troop numbers are all just too small for my personal taste.
Whilst Strela gives an excellent reply to this post with great rationale behind the reasoning. For those more inclined towards the monster games and larger operations this title may fall short for them.
With this said when I first discovered Panzer Campaigns many many years ago I was unaware of the Smolensk battles neither had I heard of David Glantz and so Smolensk it self was by me considered niche. This title though perhaps on a smaller scale maybe considered as such but even so if it introduces many who have never fallen in love with the larger titles then the quality of the designer and his work may introduce a whole new group to this great series. Though I do hope the smaller scope will not introduce a trend that continues too long.
My personal choice would be for even larger games with game engine improvements to better implement them. Such things as command and control adjustments better logistics rules and replacement values similar to strategic war but now I digress. I wish this new title well and I know the PZC series future is bright