Non-Combatants in Little Big Horn

Forum for the Early American Wars games series
Tex78

Non-Combatants in Little Big Horn

Post by Tex78 »

I am a little confused on what is the best tactic to take with these units. I realize these are the old people, women and children of the villages. With the horse herds and travois you get results shooting at them. But with the non-combatants, I first tried meleeing them expecting to capture them. Well that resulted in huge casualties to me and no impact to the non-combatants. So, I tried shooting at them and most of the time it is no effect or at best fatigue. Eventually some of them get so fatigued they rout but you can't kill them or capture them.

To make it even worse, most of the time they do not fire back (not sure why) but when they do, they are deadly. They even meleed me on one turm and put nearly a third of Custer's Battalion to a rout. I lost people in the melee but the non-combatants and horse herds lost nothing. Is this broken or the way it was designed?
rahamy

Re: Non-Combatants in Little Big Horn

Post by rahamy »

They are intended to be avoided, and you focus on the combatants. The script is written for them to move to the left map edge and exit the map, and at least the last time I ran it they did so - which reflects what they did historically.

With that said, there's a lot of room for changes in how things could be handled - and the game engine, as it stands, was not meant to replicate those types of units. Extended Line is too powerful as well, which is another issue.

The content was put out there for free to test the waters on the interest of the subject matter, and it has shown to be of interest. So, our intent is to create a full game on the subject - but it will be in a different engine that is more robust and is able to handle these types of details in a more appropriate manner. No ETA on when you will see that however.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Tex78

Post by Tex78 »

Okay, thanks for that.

I got historical results with Reno and when Custer got to the ford by the village it was too well defended to force, so I decided to cut off retreating non-combatants, pony herds and travois from the north ford and get what I thought might be easy victory points.
Steel God

Post by Steel God »

Tex78 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:41 pm Okay, thanks for that.

I got historical results with Reno and when Custer got to the ford by the village it was too well defended to force, so I decided to cut off retreating non-combatants, pony herds and travois from the north ford and get what I thought might be easy victory points.
A very Custer-like thought process if I dare say ;)
"Listen, I can design a better pencil, but I can't stop someone from sticking it up their nose." - John Tiller