Menu program -- Have I overlooked it?

Forum for subjects that are not covered in the dedicated forums
PaulSan

Menu program -- Have I overlooked it?

Post by PaulSan »

Has a new menu program been released that includes 'Vienna 1683' in it's search results? Have I overlooked its availability? I just want to remove the startup icon from the desktop.
rahamy

Re: Menu program -- Have I overlooked it?

Post by rahamy »

Nope, a new version will come out with the next full game release - and that should be in the nearish future. We'll announce it when it does.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
MBear

Post by MBear »

Suggestion & maybe already been made but consider either auto grouping of games by series or giving the owner the ability to organize by series. If your collecting a large number of your games it would help to be able to re-organize them. Otherwise thanks for the menu & keep up great work.

Mike
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

MBear wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:06 am Suggestion & maybe already been made but consider either auto grouping of games by series or giving the owner the ability to organize by series. If your collecting a large number of your games it would help to be able to re-organize them. Otherwise thanks for the menu & keep up great work.

Mike
You can do so by installing to folders on your machine by series - see the screen shot on the Menu Program page for an illustration.

Oh, and the new version has been released today:

https://wargameds.com/pages/resources-other-downloads
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
LordDeadwood

Post by LordDeadwood »

MBear wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:06 am Suggestion & maybe already been made but consider either auto grouping of games by series or giving the owner the ability to organize by series. If your collecting a large number of your games it would help to be able to re-organize them. Otherwise thanks for the menu & keep up great work.

Mike
You can sort of do this now, if you are willing to spend a little time and effort organizing the directories where the games are installed. Create a "WDS" folder on your hard drive and then create folders under that for each series, like this:
Screenshot 2024-03-29 100900.png
Then make sure the menu.exe file is in the WDS folder when you launch it. The menu will then display the games in the series folders like this:
Screenshot 2024-03-29 101130.png
Screenshot 2024-03-29 101258.png
Only downside to this is when you are installing new games or updates you have to make sure to navigate to the correct folder instead of using the default install location.
PaulSan

Post by PaulSan »

You can even go more than one directory deep (although I haven't actually done this - it should work though). So, your Panzer Campaigns could be further divided like so,
_PC\East_Front
_PC\West_Front
_PC\Mediterranean
_PC\Pacific

It's however you want to set up your directories. The only trivial downside to doing this is when you install or update your current version. You have to type the directory structure in, else it will be installed in the default c:\wds\pc.
MBear

Post by MBear »

Ok, thanks, I will try this and yes saw a new menu is available. Thanks to all.

Mike
Darrell999

Post by Darrell999 »

One thing I really like about the menu is that I can put PDF books and articles related to the battle at hand in the Manuals folder of the game, and they will show up in the menu as clickable PDF links. Really nice for context!
CV41

Post by CV41 »

Is Menu 4.06 a new install or can we install over existing Menu (in my case 4.03)? Thank you.
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

You must uninstall 4.03 first, then download and install 4.06.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager