State Regiments in the ACW

Forum for subjects that are not covered in the dedicated forums
nelson211005

State Regiments in the ACW

Post by nelson211005 »

Hi Everyone
I picked up a copy of Elisha Hunt Rodes journal in a charity shop the other day.
(Which is something I have always wanted to read after hearing him being quoted on PBS Civil War.)
He mentions his regiment receiving reinforcements of about 100+ men about 2 or 3 times a year. Every
year.
I was always under the impression once a state regiment was raised and mustered into service it never
received anymore men? Am I mistaken?
Of course I realise there would probably be some differences in every state. I think Genl Grant in his memoirs says Wisconsin
used to send reinforcements to its regiments all the time, 'So we always counted a Wisconsin regiment as a Brigade'.
GMcClellan

Re: State Regiments in the ACW

Post by GMcClellan »

I think "it varied" is going to be the big issue. Because it was still up to the states to forward reinforcements, it will be pretty variable.

Commonly, state officials would rather raise new regiments (with the chances for patronage and favor swapping that allowed), but as you note, that wasn't absolute.
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
John Roddy

Post by John Roddy »

As best I can tell from my primary source readings is that new replacements were very much the exception rather than the rule. Most of the references I've seen usually involve men on leave for sickness or family matters returning to duty and sometimes from prisoner exchange.
nelson211005

Post by nelson211005 »

GMcClellan wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:43 am I think "it varied" is going to be the big issue. Because it was still up to the states to forward reinforcements, it will be pretty variable.

Commonly, state officials would rather raise new regiments (with the chances for patronage and favor swapping that allowed), but as you note, that wasn't absolute.
Thanks for the reply George.
Yes I fully understand the chance for the state Governor to build up a enormous amount of patronage.
I am hoping my post might start a discuss about reinforcing state regiments.
nelson211005

Post by nelson211005 »

John Roddy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:09 am As best I can tell from my primary source readings is that new replacements were very much the exception rather than the rule. Most of the references I've seen usually involve men on leave for sickness or family matters returning to duty and sometimes from prisoner exchange.
I have been reading about the ACW since I was about 10 and am now 68. Apart from the mention of Wisconsin Regiments in Grant memoir Colonel Rodes journal is the only mention of continual reinforcements for the North regiments.
I believe it was standard practice for the Confederates to continually reinforce their regiments though.
rkenn1020

Post by rkenn1020 »

The Confederates would regularly forward men to regiments in the field as necessary.

The Union generally raised additional regiments for the reasons mentioned above but most veteran regiments would send junior officers back to their state in order to recruit new enlistees for the depleted units. These numbers never compensated for losses incurred but it did keep regiments in the field with (generally) effective strengths.