NOOB Question re: Bulge '44 and a general thank you to WDS

Forum for subjects that are not covered in the dedicated forums
Tony

NOOB Question re: Bulge '44 and a general thank you to WDS

Post by Tony »

Before i gat to my actual question, let me just say how happy i am to have found this site and this company. I own a ton of GMT games but can never find the time or place to set them up. And when i do, i get so wrapped up in rules that i'm not enjoying the bigger picture of the battle i'm trying to win.

I had NO IDEA John Tiller (RIP) even existed. My two favorite periods are the World Wars and Napoleonics. As i learned this system and that system, i soon forgot them all and would never play them.

Then WDS happened.

Wow. I LOVE the low graphics. You can pay $100 and have a monster gaming laptop. I feel so blessed.

Now to my question... kinda :-) I got Mius '44 for free and was HOOKED. I bought the next sales, Budapest and the Mexican-American War, and Sealion and found myself playing Mius all day! The free one is THAT GOOD.

When i played the Getting Started scenario, i lost. No biggie. Had to learn. I then played it again and gave it my all (which looking back was still REALLY bad play) and i ended Turn 9 on 157 points. Minor Victory is 150. Boyyy. Let me tell you what. As i let that AI play at normal speed i was chewing my nails off! One point down. Then another. Then it finished. i finished the game with exactly 150 points! I was over the MOON.

So, i finally go on a crazy spree and buy over $200 worth of games. My top game was Bulge '44. I played that Getting Started campaign and got crushed. Okay. I never used those Deceptive Units before. I'll try it again. I got smoked again... even worse!

So, my tldr question is this: Where do i go to get tips on how to win at certain scenarios? Is there a good thread(s) that has some gold re: tactics and mindset?

Thanks in advance. Sorry i write long, i'm a fiction writer :-)
rahamy

Re: NOOB Question re: Bulge '44 and a general thank you to WDS

Post by rahamy »

Welcome to the forums Tony, and to our games. Glad to hear you are enjoying them! I came from a similar background (many years ago), and agree with your points as to why these games work so well for my life style and gaming habits.

Regarding tips... I'm not personally a PzC player, so I don't have any to offer myself, but the Forums over at The Blitz have been around a good while and I imagine that have some of that content:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_board ... php?fid=11

That link is to the Operational specific forums, but they have sections for all the series of games we publish.

Just wait till you get comfortable enough to take on another person. :ugeek:
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
RichLink

Post by RichLink »

It may be worthwhile to go through the AAR`s down in the PzC Forum, as well as those over in the Blitz.
Several guys are doing high quality playthroughs of JTS/WDS games on UTube.
Tony

Post by Tony »

rahamy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:07 am Welcome to the forums Tony, and to our games. Glad to hear you are enjoying them! I came from a similar background (many years ago), and agree with your points as to why these games work so well for my life style and gaming habits.

Regarding tips... I'm not personally a PzC player, so I don't have any to offer myself, but the Forums over at The Blitz have been around a good while and I imagine that have some of that content:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_board ... php?fid=11

That link is to the Operational specific forums, but they have sections for all the series of games we publish.

Just wait till you get comfortable enough to take on another person. :ugeek:
I just saw this. Sorry for the late response. Will do. Thanks!
Tony

Post by Tony »

RichLink wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:54 am It may be worthwhile to go through the AAR`s down in the PzC Forum, as well as those over in the Blitz.
Yeah, i think you're right. I need to do a deep dive into some AARs. The videos are lifesavers since even the manuals aren't complete. I just had to "figure it out" that the yellow line is nothing but a political line. Maybe it's used in some games for VPs?

Thanks again!

Tony Hernandez
LordDeadwood

Post by LordDeadwood »

Tony wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:43 am
RichLink wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:54 am It may be worthwhile to go through the AAR`s down in the PzC Forum, as well as those over in the Blitz.
Yeah, i think you're right. I need to do a deep dive into some AARs. The videos are lifesavers since even the manuals aren't complete. I just had to "figure it out" that the yellow line is nothing but a political line. Maybe it's used in some games for VPs?

Thanks again!

Tony Hernandez
Nope, just political.