what's your favorite pzc games

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
KoolKat

Re: what's your favorite pzc games

Post by KoolKat »

Gents: :ugeek:

Smolensk ’41 - Number #1 pick for me! The “Encirclement of Smolensk” is a classic and ranks as one of the best PzC scenarios of all times!

Honorable Mentions

Kiev ’43 – Has some superbly balanced scenarios that allow multiple opportunities to attack and counterattack with good replay value.

Sealion ’40 – Exciting and tense scenarios. The German forces race across the English countryside, battering aside the British and home guard units. It’s a hypothetical game and you must buy into the premise that the RAF was defeated during the Battle of Britian and the Royal Navy was kept from the landing beaches by German mining of the English Channel approaches. Axis airlift and sealift capabilities are exaggerated. But boy, what fun it is to play!

Spring Awakening ’45 – Has the potential to rank in my top 5 PzC scenarios! Currently playing “Corps Road to Kaposvar” and it is a well-designed and carefully balanced scenario. I’ve always been a big fan of Cesar Moreno’s work!
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
LordDeadwood

Post by LordDeadwood »

Plain Ian wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:07 am
RichLink wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am
Plain Ian wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:28 pm I'm surprised to see Sicily 44' come up a lot in these lists?
Are you not fond of this game Ian ?

Just curious :)
Well just surprised in that I wouldn't expect to see it in the top 3 list of WDS games or anywhere near the top. Bulge yes. Stalingrad yes. Kursk maybe. They are all iconic battles or military situations. Sicily has a bit of a 'back water battle' type feel but none the less an important battle or mini camapaign. I'm sure I've read that the invasion was actually bigger operation than DDay?

As to the game there is a lot to like about it which I think came out quite early on in the HPS catalogue.....maybe someone can correct me as I'm going from memory?

As someone pointed out there are no map edges and you have the whole of the island to play on!
The strategic decisions which are available to players in some of the campaign scenarios which I think were a bit of a novelty.
A nice diversity in units to play with from the usual elite Germans to the inept (unfairly) Italians with Brits and Yanks in the middle.
And a campaign which has a bit of everything...invasion...a little exploitation hopefully...and some set piece slug fests.

What I didn't like?
The terrain. Its awful and you soon find that there might be roads to speed things up but they all go the wrong way or lead you down dark alleys.
And speaking of roads. When playing the Allies turn the sound off or else the sound of wheeeee kaboooom as you get Axis Air Interdicted every time you try and move something forward quickly ruins your turn. I still get flashbacks of seeing fresh units units reduced to wrecks before they have even got close to the front line.

So I guess I'm pleasantly surprised to see it doing well. Apologies for the usual havering...... :D
The only real issue I have with Sicily is there is no way for the Axis to perform a historical evacuation. And barring that, they are ultimately doomed. Provision needs to be made for the Axis to be able to evacuate troops from Messina as they did historically, similar to what is done with the Dunkerque scenario in France '40.
RichLink

Post by RichLink »

I Agree Deadwood, it would make a tense Axis game, weather to fight or flee across to Italy, don`t know how to balance the points for that tho...?
Bill-Peters

Post by Bill-Peters »

KoolKat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:40 am Gents: :ugeek:

Kiev ’43 – Has some superbly balanced scenarios that allow multiple opportunities to attack and counterattack with good replay value.
Thanks, in part, to the team of Playtesters we had for the title. In particular, Dennis Suttman and Dan Constant (RIP). Both of them played anything that I put out for testing.

All of the guys did their part. I made sure that the breakout/breakin scenarios had possible victory outcomes. Did my own testing before I kicked them out to the team. The Bukrin Bridgehead is one of the toughest nuts to crack in any of our games. Reminded me of the Rzhev '42 situations where the Russians have to take the pillboxes! "Pound, pound, pound" on the door! ROFL

Scenario Designers really do not have time to play completely through all of the scenarios which is why the Playtest Team is so important. However, we all should play through the significant parts of the scenarios where it pertains to breaking through heavily defended lines. Its tedious for all of us designers but for me it really helped me to understand, for the future scenarios, just what the First Player side could achieve. When a Playtester would tell me they couldn't break through, but I had done it, I coached them on ways to get it done. Tips for the attacking player included:

1. Dig in when adjacent to the enemy. Eventually a Trench is built and it really cuts down on losses.

2. Try NOT to break down battalions into companies. Companies accrue fatigue at a higher rate and will therefore Disrupt or Break sooner.

3. Pull units out of the line to rest if they hit 150 points of fatigue. Its harder for units over 200 points of fatigue to recover. I did a study on this years ago. For units that are below 100 points the fatigue rolled off quicker than those above 100 points. Above 200 points and at Max Fatigue the points took forever to go away. A unit at Max Fatigue took almost 28 turns to fully recover in that test. One at 90 points: about 5-6 turns.

Recombining companies reduces fatigue so that if you have a company that has 130 fatigue points and it recombines with the parent company which has 60 points, the resulting action will show the parent unit with something like 90-95 points. (dont quote me exactly on this - I have yet to figure out the averaging equation)

There are times when you cannot do some of the above but that is how I was able to win in the scenarios I tried out. I kick myself in my recreational games of the series I play when I forget one of those three important rules.

I am in the midst of the huge November campaign in Kiev '43 (Play By Email). I took Kiev on the 7th which is close enough to the historical date to know that the scenario is moving at the right pace. My armored units are worn and I am resting them for the big push. Its a great scenario to play for both sides. The German has to take care of their units trying to have some defense in depth. In the end, the terrain serves as an opponent to the Russians as the Germans with the units moving at a slower pace than they would like.
Darrell999

Post by Darrell999 »

Thank you for those tips, Bill. Much appreciated!
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I agree, great advice which I often overlook/forget/ignore.