Changing Unit Numbers in an OOB

Forum for the Modern Campaigns games series
RichLink

Changing Unit Numbers in an OOB

Post by RichLink »

I have been tinkering with Aaron`s truly great " Bolt from the Bule" scenario in Danube Front `85.
As an example, using the OOB editor, I changed the default number of tanks in a selected Red Guards Tank Battalion from 31 to 41.
However, in game play, before combat, that icon shows the units number at 41, but strength now at 75%.
What happened here ?
Will this have any effect on combat calculations ? or any other aspect of game play ?
Carlos

Re: Changing Unit Numbers in an OOB

Post by Carlos »

RichLink wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:05 am I have been tinkering with Aaron`s truly great " Bolt from the Bule" scenario in Danube Front `85.
As an example, using the OOB editor, I changed the default number of tanks in a selected Red Guards Tank Battalion from 31 to 41.
However, in game play, before combat, that icon shows the units number at 41, but strength now at 75%.
What happened here ?
That's because you've changed the nominal strength of the unit in the OOB, but not the actual strength of the unit on the map.
For that you have to go into the Scenario Editor, select the unit and increase its strength via the menu Command->Increase Strength until it's at maximum (100%).
WDS Support
RichLink

Post by RichLink »

Thank you Carlos, appreciate the quick response :)
RichLink

Re: More Changing Unit Numbers in an OOB

Post by RichLink »

Still having fun tinkering and a few questions:
Is there a way to determine which OOB was used in a scenario ? Some games ( Normandy`44) have 2-4 same date OOB`s .

Is there a way to do a search in a OOB for a specific unit, rather then scroll thorough 100`s ?
TIA
Rich
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

To see what OOB is used, open up the .scn file in a scenario editor and you'll see (around line 14 or so) which oob file is used.

To search for a specific unit within an oob, probably the fastest way is to again, use a text editor, and then use the find function.
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
RickyB

Post by RickyB »

I use the text editor most of the time which I think is what Gary meant rather than scenario editor as the second sentence says), but if you prefer, the scenario editor also shows the filenames used in that scenario through the menu choice File - Filenames - map, oob and pdt are shown. And the OOB Editor search works okay, except it is case sensitive so that makes it harder to search than a simple match on the chars and numbers.
Last edited by RickyB on Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

Yes, I meant a text editor. My bad on that. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
RichLink

Post by RichLink »

Thanks Gary & Rick for the always quick and friendly response.
RichLink

Post by RichLink »

Please allow me to continue with some questions on my tinkering with Aaron`s Bolt FT Blue scenario ( and JT`s campaign scenario in Danube Front `85) which is 860501_10s.
I`m trying to increase the number of losses/ replacements in specific units. As expected the losses are very high in the first Bash Ahead wave of WP units in "Bolt", less so in John`s version, which has a bit more scope for operational finesse ;)
In the OOB, units down to Battalion level have a replacement box for a number. The questions are how high a number can one input ?, and is there a max number for the Game ?

From Aaron`s 1.01 read me:: "New replacement value in the PDT - set to 0 for both sides. I already have replacements built
into the OOB."