What are your thoughts about Vienna 1683?

Forum for the Musket & Pike games series
GMcClellan

What are your thoughts about Vienna 1683?

Post by GMcClellan »

I'm just curious about feedback regarding Vienna. What do people think of it? Is the army mix interesting? Balance? Such and so :)
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
RussellGardener1964

Re: What are your thoughts about Vienna 1683?

Post by RussellGardener1964 »

I have it and played Nussberg twice against human opponents. Both times I was the Turks. You have a small entrenched line of Janissaries and artillery on your right flank, but everything else involves your Sipahis, which are Irregular horse. You can do a little bit against the Allied cavalry, but it seems like you are pretty much powerless when it comes to the Allied infantry....unless I'm missing something. All you can really do is delay a little bit, which I guess is what happened historically?
GMcClellan

Re: What are your thoughts about Vienna 1683?

Post by GMcClellan »

Yes, and in fact that points to one of the major problems for the Ottomans in the entire battle. The army was sipahi heavy to begin with, and then the Grand Vizier left way, way, way too much infantry in the siege lines (something like 60% of the Janissaries, and all of the Azab)

For the infantry, you need to flank and harass, and it's going to be a hard slog for the Ottomans. Historically, they actually dove up into the vineyards and orchards and fought in the broken terrain... which is a very mixed bag in game terms.
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike