New Waterloo Graphics Mod - Leader and Battalion/Regimental Flags

Forum to share all game modifications
rickdenic

New Waterloo Graphics Mod - Leader and Battalion/Regimental Flags

Post by rickdenic »

Sharing a new Waterloo graphics mod - Colorized Leader Artwork and Battalion/Regimental flags
Notes and Installation instructions are available in the download package
Please make sure you're utilizing the latest WDS version of this game, and have backed up your files before overwriting OOB's, and Leader and Unit artwork.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/2ycuat6j ... fg86j&dl=0

Goal of the Mod
----------------
1) Colored Leader Images

2) Add Regimental/Battalion Flags for most units

3) Follows a VERY similar design pattern to "EZJax" mods available on Napoleonic Games Club site, but in this case leverages the fantastic unit artwork that is currently available w/ the base game.

What this Includes:
------------------
1) Updated Unit Graphics slightly compared to the base install. This has Regimental/Battalion flags included within the artwork. OOBs are updated to make this work with the new images on the Units File

2) Credit where credit is due: I borrowed images for the right hand side of the UnitBox from an older "EZJax" mod available on the Napoleonic Games Club site. This keeps things a little more balanced looking without a big open space on the right.

What this Mod doesn't include
------------------------------
1) I've tried very hard to not change any of the unit or leader quality ratings, or any of the size of the units from the latest WDS version.

2) I did not invest the time to update the Company level OOBs.

3) There is a lot of generic leader artwork in the game....On the Prussian side in particular, its still hard to find period paintings or engravings on the web for many of the leaders.

General notes:
1) Prussian Landwehr flags were borrowed from various miniatures sites - a lot of this seems to be conjecture or artistic license
2) If anyone has any suggestions for improvements, please let me know. (Leaders I got wrong, Flags I got wrong, etc.)

QB1.jpg
QB2.jpg
Lig1.jpg
Lig2.jpg
Wat1.jpg
Wat2.jpg
Wat3.jpg
Wat4.jpg
Wav1.jpg
Dion

Re: New Waterloo Graphics Mod - Leader and Battalion/Regimental Flags

Post by Dion »

One of the best mods I've seen. Love them colorized leader images and unit flags. The flags gives "life" to the unit, makes them look as if their moving with a purpose, not so static.
Ferro

Post by Ferro »

Outstanding work! I’d suggest adding drop shadows to the unit flags and the EzJax royal ciphers, commensurate with the national/civil flags present in the base game.
WDS Graphics Coordinator, Pre-1900 Series
Dion

Post by Dion »

Just one question, do the flags change direction when the unit changes direction? If they don't, it will ruin the directional effect of movement, but it will still look good because flags are cool to look at!
rickdenic

Post by rickdenic »

Dion wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:38 pm Just one question, do the flags change direction when the unit changes direction? If they don't, it will ruin the directional effect of movement, but it will still look good because flags are cool to look at!
Hi
If you're talking about the Unit artwork, when you Mod the units file, it doesn't really give you the ability to change direction based on movement. Its just a static picture.
If you're talking about the flags on the 3D Map view in the game, I haven't been touching anything with that look-and-feel.
Dion

Post by Dion »

rickdenic wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:15 am If you're talking about the flags on the 3D Map view in the game, I haven't been touching anything with that look-and-feel.
Yes, those are the ones I was talking about. It's possible those flags are part of NB series base games. Your mod concerning those colored leader pictures are real nice though, and I wish they was the standard for the series. The unit artwork looks good too.
rickdenic

Post by rickdenic »

The Leaders file is updated on DropBox site.
This should remove some of the stray yellow pixels on certain images
Capitaine Feuerhake

Post by Capitaine Feuerhake »

I love your artwork and I would like to thank you for your commitment to this beautiful war game.

I hope that you haven't awakened a troll in me with your questions and comments... :lol:
My answer to your inquiries:

3) There is a lot of generic leader artwork in the game....On the Prussian side in particular, its still hard to find period paintings or engravings on the web for many of the leaders.

I think I made an unsuccessful attempt to look for Prussian leaders years ago. Is it possible to send me the necessary names (if possible including first name and rank or unit) so that I can search specifically?

General notes:
1) Prussian Landwehr flags were borrowed from various miniatures sites - a lot of this seems to be conjecture or artistic license
2) If anyone has any suggestions for improvements, please let me know. (Leaders I got wrong, Flags I got wrong, etc.)

In fact, flags for the Prussian Landwehr are extremely difficult because... officially no flags were allowed for the Prussian Landwehr. Citizens under arms were a necessary evil for the king anyway. That's why the Prussian regular army found it very difficult to award such an honorable symbol as a flag to a Landwehr unit.

It was not until 1816 that flags for the Landwehr were officially issued. Of course, the soldiers of the Landwehr also strived to create a symbol that could be defended with honor and that could be used to guide movements on the battlefield. Therefore, there were individual private creations that must have miraculously escaped official confiscation and destruction. But ultimately all private flags were banned.

If in doubt, a flag with a black "Iron Cross" with a base in different provincial colors would probably always be chosen for the game.

Greetings
Name: Andreas
Hobby: Reenactment in a 1815 Prussian Landwehr unit / WDS wargaming ...
I learned English at school, but I lack constant practice. That's why I often communicate using Google Translate
rickdenic

Post by rickdenic »

Capitaine Feuerhake wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:38 pm I love your artwork and I would like to thank you for your commitment to this beautiful war game.

I hope that you haven't awakened a troll in me with your questions and comments... :lol:

I think I made an unsuccessful attempt to look for Prussian leaders years ago. Is it possible to send me the necessary names (if possible including first name and rank or unit) so that I can search specifically?

General notes:

In fact, flags for the Prussian Landwehr are extremely difficult because... officially no flags were allowed for the Prussian Landwehr. Citizens under arms were a necessary evil for the king anyway. That's why the Prussian regular army found it very difficult to award such an honorable symbol as a flag to a Landwehr unit.

It was not until 1816 that flags for the Landwehr were officially issued. Of course, the soldiers of the Landwehr also strived to create a symbol that could be defended with honor and that could be used to guide movements on the battlefield. Therefore, there were individual private creations that must have miraculously escaped official confiscation and destruction. But ultimately all private flags were banned.

If in doubt, a flag with a black "Iron Cross" with a base in different provincial colors would probably always be chosen for the game.

Greetings
Thank you for the feedback.
On your question about the Prussian leader artwork, generally speaking I was having trouble finding much of anything on the web for the regimental level commanders. The brigade level and above was a little easier. In most cases I just colorized the base game regimental leader images a bit. Without finding any evidence on the web, I don’t know if those had any basis in fact or were generic.

I’ve actually moved on to Austerlitz as a next project so at the moment I don’t have time to go through image by image.
Capitaine Feuerhake

Post by Capitaine Feuerhake »

rickdenic wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:46 am
Capitaine Feuerhake wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:38 pm I love your artwork and I would like to thank you for your commitment to this beautiful war game.

General notes:

Greetings
Thank you for the feedback.
On your question about the Prussian leader artwork, generally speaking I was having trouble finding much of anything on the web for the regimental level commanders. The brigade level and above was a little easier. In most cases I just colorized the base game regimental leader images a bit. Without finding any evidence on the web, I don’t know if those had any basis in fact or were generic.

I’ve actually moved on to Austerlitz as a next project so at the moment I don’t have time to go through image by image.
Maybe it would be a good idea to try and you send me, if possible, a list of the Prussian regiments whose commanders you are looking for.

Maybe I have other sources to find some leader-pics 8-)
Name: Andreas
Hobby: Reenactment in a 1815 Prussian Landwehr unit / WDS wargaming ...
I learned English at school, but I lack constant practice. That's why I often communicate using Google Translate