France '14: WDS Player Interest.

Forum for the First World War Campaigns games series
Champagne

France '14: WDS Player Interest.

Post by Champagne »

I would like to reach out to everyone who owns this fine game and gauge the level of active player interest in France '14. I'd like for everyone interested in playing this game to contribute to this thread and share their experiences and thoughts on the game.

I'm playing one large scenario now with a group and it is very rewarding.

I have enjoyed playing the smaller scenarios with a couple of other players.
Cédric Monget

Re: France '14: WDS Player Interest.

Post by Cédric Monget »

I played a few scenarios, but nothing very big.

In fact, troops density intimidates me a bit. I prefer EP14 (there, I played several times 200 turns scenarios). There are far fewer counters to move and much more room to maneuver.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I must confess, EP14 is my favourite of the three. I have played some of the smaller F14 scenarios, but as above, counter density is an issue for me too. I am hopeful that, as is happening with the Napoleonic series, we will be able to move entire formations with a single order, at some point in the future. This will help a lot.
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

Counter density is extreme in the southern areas of the board in F14. In those sectors, there is not much room to maneuver, that's true. Yes, it would be nice if those additional Formation Movement orders could be added to the game.

Have you played any opponents in F14?
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I have been playing John Tiller games since the 90's, but only ever against the AI. I don't see this changing.
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

You should try playing some Play by email games, especially if we get a group of players together to play a large scenario.
Dion

Post by Dion »

France '14 is one of the best, most fun titles there is. Both sides took massive casualties during the war, so a high counter density doesn't bother me at all. I'm not online, so I can't play by e-mail. Some day maybe.
Friui2

Post by Friui2 »

I've been interested in the 1914 western campaign for a long time, and have also played John Tiller games for a long time, so I bought this as soon as it was released. I play solo, and echo what others have said, the sheer size is intimidating. Separate MG units doesn't help. I've played smaller scenarios a few times, but haven't tried the full campaign.
LordDeadwood

Post by LordDeadwood »

I own all three FWWC games. I've played a few smaller scenarios of F14 and one from EP14. The size doesn't intimidate me, I just can't quite get into the WWI era, WWII is my bag. The MG units requiring setup, the field guns that are direct fire, and the idea that you have to plot the indirect fire all turn me off. I think they're great games, just not my thing. Maybe someday ;)
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I have all 3 WW1 games, my preference is for F14, EP14 then S14.

Formation orders would be great, especially for moving reinforcements to the front.

I would like some sort of wayfinding, say set a Division/Corps objective and get some prompts as to what roads to take.
Its sometimes hard to know which road to take without continual scrolling around the map.