[PzC F '40] HQ recovery & respawn - change advisory

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
Geyerfalck

[PzC F '40] HQ recovery & respawn - change advisory

Post by Geyerfalck »

Hi everyone,

Context :
In campaign and larger scenarios, it is quite common to eliminate HQ's. Their capability to recover and respawn afterwards makes sense, even when behind enemy lines.
In a blitzkrieg case typified by F'40's race to the sea, situations where enemy HQ's respawn and stay very far behind German lines are more likely to happen, this resulting sometimes in "partisan warfare in the west" ! Since frontline units are far away, either allied "partisans" have to be dealt with by reinforcing divisions, or they simply can be ignored (the latter not my fancy for various reasons).
I noticed that Korück units are well taken into account for each corresponding army in German OoB and this is great. But they are not activated in vanilla games. However in such a typical movement warfare situation, their expected duty is to enforce security in rear areas...

Change advisory :

Nice to have suggestion (no dev, going the easy way)
- Korück units are placed on map and activated after a certain time, so they can deal with "partisans" (this is what I did in an F'40 WIP mod to be released after v4.01 go live). Of course, scenarios have to be altered accordingly.
- No change with HQ management.

Long term change suggestion ? (dev change)
- Korück units are placed on map and activated after a certain time (no dev).
- On HQ recovery/respawn turn, a pop-up is displayed asking for HQ respawn or not
- In this pop-up, the player has the choice to either enter a turn number or not.

-- On mouse click 'yes' : if the player does not enter a turn number, then he is asked to right-click a hex location to relocate the HQ at once.
[ option : the remaining subordinate units are highlighted on map, so their location can be spotted. ]
-- On mouse click 'yes' and the player has entered a turn number, then the HQ is planned to return on that turn.

[ option : the HQ unit may respawn even if no subordinate units are present : this is to plan for future possible attachment (*) ]

-- On mouse click 'no' : the HQ is removed and lost for the remaining turns of this campaign game.

(*) for example : a Corps HQ is destroyed with no subordinate units remaining, but can respawn so other reinforcing units can be attached to it later on in the campaign game.

Well, these are my two cents on this topic...
What do you guys think ?
“In war, the moral is to the material as three to one.”
N. Bonaparte