Artillery Capture...VPs?

Forum for the Civil War Battles games series
Hoyt Burrass

Artillery Capture...VPs?

Post by Hoyt Burrass »

How do captured guns count towards VP totals? I cannot see that they contribute in anyway....Guns I have knocked out count...but not captured guns. I can send a save if needed.
krmiller_usa

Re: Artillery Capture...VPs?

Post by krmiller_usa »

From the cwb manual Optional Artillery Capture section
If any unit including an officer is stacked with a captured, non-spiked, artillery unit it counts full value towards victory conditions, as if it was destroyed.
Spiked captured artillery that are occupied count half value.
Unlike destroyed guns captured guns that are not stacked with a friendly unit do not add Victory Points.
Ken Miller
Hoyt Burrass

Post by Hoyt Burrass »

so they only count when a unit is stacked with them? and cease to count if the unit moves away?....that is odd.
krmiller_usa

Post by krmiller_usa »

Makes more sense than the old system where the guns just disappear and the points are awarded even if you can't hold the hex for one turn.
Many instances of guns being captured and recaptured by the original side which would give you no advantage.
If you can hold them for one turn you can spike them making them useless to the enemy.

Not sure if I'm correct but I think the points cannot be awarded with the unit captured and unoccupied because the unit's current position, condition, etc are recorded in the save game file using their OOB position. The capture option was added after the fact. I'm guessing here but based on my limited knowledge of programming I would say JT used the uncrewed flag which was already there and the fact an enemy unit was in the hex to change the condition to captured. This would have been the simplest method to add captured condition without changing the oob file. So the gun unit is shown captured when the hex is occupied and the gun uncrewed and just uncrewed when no enemy unit is in the hex.
If you recapture the guns the game reduces their effectiveness by making the crew F class meaning they just waste ammo unless at very short range. This is contrary to actual history as the gunners would take their equipment and retreat to safety and return if the guns were recaptured.

As I said I will use small or high fatigued units to hold the guns if I need the points, better than putting them in a position to rout and possibly disrupt your line at an important point.
Ken Miller
Hoyt Burrass

Post by Hoyt Burrass »

Nice logical explanation...thanks