Unlucky?

Forum for the Civil War Battles games series
Plain Ian

Unlucky?

Post by Plain Ian »

I've just ventured back into ACW again after a very long lay off. I started BG Talonsoft a long time ago and then played HPS ACW.
These days I play mostly PzC.

However I'm playing a Gettysburg campaign game and it feels like the old days when I struggled to understand how things work. I remember playing the Talonsoft games and spending a lot of time looking for unlimbered artillery (Yankee as I was Reb) as this was the best way to knock out an artillery piece.

Anyway last turn my 2-2d Maryland Btty lost a gun from what I consider long range fire from the Yanks. They are using 3" Rifles. I know this as I opened up the historical Brandy Station scenario to see what artillery types their cavalry used.

The next turn I get this. He targets 1-2d Maryland Btty and I again lose another gun??????

So the question is. Am I just unlucky or are 3" Rifles the equivalent of Himars in the Ukraine?

2022-10-01_20h17_25.png
rahamy

Re: Unlucky?

Post by rahamy »

The 3.5 is in effect up to the point where the 12 hex value kicks in... how many guns in the firing battery? And are your guns at a lower elevation? Seems there's several things adding up to give him an edge...
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
S Trauth

Post by S Trauth »

Not at 11 hexes and at lower elevation. As a US player I would look for situations like that specifically. 3 inch rifles are basically the gun of choice for counterbattery fire.

Otoh- looking at your set up -- I am seeing very few US troopers- so those guns of theirs are very vulnerable - they have an unfordable creek at their back - you need to get some troopers south of that stream as there cannot be any US forces there - possibly in the woods -but I would doubt that. You cut them off from that one ford - those guns won't last too long, and you will bag the lot of them.

Get your guns up to the same elevation as theirs, for 1. You don't need to give away any advantages at that range - no need to. Then get your own troopers moving - none of this digging in stuff - that's for miners and infantry. ;)

I can guarantee you that as a US player I would never deploy like what you are facing. It has all of the appearances of smoking while topping up at a servo.
Plain Ian

Post by Plain Ian »

Well most of his guns are lower (30 ft/1 elevation) and the guns are all 2 gun sections.

The snap was taken at Turn 9 and I was attempting to rush him with F Lee as I had brought his Brigade up on the Yankee right but kept it hidden by the rise just south of Hubbard Run. But I quickly added up his guns and realised I'm dealing with 3 Brigades at least. I'm too late.

He has another 2 Brigades south of me which I was watching until I pulled back into the woods last turn.

Here is the current turn. I don't have to worry about my guns any more. He killed them both in the last turn. Maryland Bty no more.

And of course now he is making his push forward.

2022-10-02_12h58_52.png

And the big picture.
Attachments
2022-10-02_13h10_43.png
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I believe your opponent got a couple of lucky shots. If my calculations are correct he should have an 8-10% chance of getting a gun kill with each shot at that range. Not a high chance, but not impossible either.
WDS Support
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Plain Ian wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:37 am Here is the current turn. I don't have to worry about my guns any more. He killed them both in the last turn. Maryland Bty no more.

And of course now he is making his push forward.
Ouch! Those cavalry engagements can really turn on a dime for sure... still time to deliver a few punches though.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
nelmsm

Post by nelmsm »

Well it appears my luck must be contagious as someone else has caught it as well....