NATO vs German tactical symbols

Forum to share all game modifications
Verdun1916

Re: NATO vs German tactical symbols

Post by Verdun1916 »

Geyerfalck wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:03 pm
Verdun1916 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:06 pm Looks amazing! Well done!
Hej svej, tusen tack !
The most difficult thing to achieve with snippets is to get things more or less harmonized in the end : especially color balance and tone which may significantly differ. Or high pass and overlay effects to be applied when models are too fuzzy.
I'd say that tuning is maybe the most time-consuming task to do because you always find something to optimize and change...
Skillfull work indeed, Geyerfalck!
Both the unit boxes, the unit map icons and the maps looks great! Love the clearity of the 2D maps with the historically based symbology! I'm not much of a 2D player as I prefere playing in 3D view. However your work makes the 2D view look damn attractive to me.
This would look awesome in all the Panzer Campaign games. And something similar would look awesome for the First World War and Modern Campaign game series aswell.

Med vänliga hälsningar
/
Max
Geyerfalck

Post by Geyerfalck »

This would look awesome in all the Panzer Campaign games.
Hej hej !
Luckily enough, most of this mod includes generic art and parts which can be reused in other PzC titles. this is especially true for map art.
Background sounds are customized for summer ambience in F'40, but a winter ambience is also included in the mod.
For winter titles, I'll just have to adjust Infantry walking so you can hear them walking on a snowy ground. Not a big deal.

By the way, it would be a cool addition if we could recognize weather conditions only by hearing Infantry walking in the game, like : firm ground sound, soft conditions, mud conditions and snow conditions sound. At the moment, I added soft and light mud conditions so the Infantry sound played is not always the same. But unfortunately as of today, you cannot tell the weather only by hearing walking troops conditions !

Of course, title's UI (cover, victory screens, etc.) and generic snippets have to be adjusted for each title.
On the other hand, customized snippets - I mean, with leaders & tactical symbology adjusted to each and every OoB - require heavy OoB evolutions for each title due to addition of multiple new snippets. This is by far the most time-consuming task, with a lot of cross-checking and consistency testing to avoid scenario crashing on game launch...
But IIRC, I saw that 4.01 will introduce leaders photos, so this will be a very cool addition. Will save me an awful lot of time !
And something similar would look awesome for the First World War and Modern Campaign game series aswell.
WWI titles maybe could reuse WWII map look'n'feel, but Modern Campaign Series would really need their modern counterpart, either inspired by NATO or Soviet map models... The good thing is that maps are rather quick and very fun to design. But this is another story !

Mvh,
“In war, the moral is to the material as three to one.”
N. Bonaparte
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

Geyerfalck wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:04 pm
This would look awesome in all the Panzer Campaign games.
Hej hej !
Luckily enough, most of this mod includes generic art and parts which can be reused in other PzC titles. this is especially true for map art.
Background sounds are customized for summer ambience in F'40, but a winter ambience is also included in the mod.
For winter titles, I'll just have to adjust Infantry walking so you can hear them walking on a snowy ground. Not a big deal.

By the way, it would be a cool addition if we could recognize weather conditions only by hearing Infantry walking in the game, like : firm ground sound, soft conditions, mud conditions and snow conditions sound. At the moment, I added soft and light mud conditions so the Infantry sound played is not always the same. But unfortunately as of today, you cannot tell the weather only by hearing walking troops conditions !

Of course, title's UI (cover, victory screens, etc.) and generic snippets have to be adjusted for each title.
On the other hand, customized snippets - I mean, with leaders & tactical symbology adjusted to each and every OoB - require heavy OoB evolutions for each title due to addition of multiple new snippets. This is by far the most time-consuming task, with a lot of cross-checking and consistency testing to avoid scenario crashing on game launch...
But IIRC, I saw that 4.01 will introduce leaders photos, so this will be a very cool addition. Will save me an awful lot of time !
And something similar would look awesome for the First World War and Modern Campaign game series aswell.
WWI titles maybe could reuse WWII map look'n'feel, but Modern Campaign Series would really need their modern counterpart, either inspired by NATO or Soviet map models... The good thing is that maps are rather quick and very fun to design. But this is another story !

Mvh,
I would actually not mind the Second World War map symbology for Modern Campaigns even if it's not historically accurate. It's more the simple clearity of the 2D map and it's symbology I think looks awesome in the screenshots I've seen from your mod. It doesn't look nearly as cluttered as the stock 2D maps.
All_American

Post by All_American »

Now that France '40 is updated, any news on this front? Been eagerly waiting!
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

Were can one find and download your mod, Geyerfalck? Both for the units and the maps.
LordDeadwood

Post by LordDeadwood »

All_American wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:37 pm Now that France '40 is updated, any news on this front? Been eagerly waiting!
Yes, I second this!
Geyerfalck

Post by Geyerfalck »

Hi guys,

First of all, Season's greetings and best wishes for a healthy and happy New Year !
Then, thanks for your inspiring impatience : can't myself even wait for completing something worth to be shared !!
To be honest I can deliver a version of this mod in a matter of days. But this is an interim version, without the unit snippets.
I'm working hard on adjusting & complementing generic unit snippets first, due to lots of changes/renaming introduced in v4.01/02. F'40 is a mammoth game with lots of various units & nationalities as you noticed. Then customized (colorized) leaders and unit snippets would follow in a third step.
ETA for generic unit snippets = mid-Feb.
ETA for customized unit/colorized leader snippets + some scenario (mostly dealing with LW recon units and German rear area units) adjustments = mid-Q2.

The interim version would include the bulk of changes done : maps, GUI, sounds + unit symbols on the map (both NATO & German styles).
Thanks to a fellow tester, it seems that no bug is spotted as of today. Some sound effects overlaps however (arty barrage effects).

Hereafter an in-game sample of this early release :
F40_sample.jpg
The question is, do you really want to give a try right now, or do you prefer to wait for mid-Feb with all (generic) unit snippets for all nationalities included ??
Please let me know ;-)
N. Bonaparte
All_American

Post by All_American »

Unit snippets look awesome so I can wait for those, but I really like the map as well. In the end, its your call!
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

Off course we can wait, Geyerfalck! :)

The map alone is gorgous! Wish it was the standard 2D style map for all the PzC games.
And the unit counters and unit info boxes look awesome!
Geyerfalck

Post by Geyerfalck »

Verdun1916 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:43 pm Wish it was the standard 2D style map for all the PzC games.
:)
Yeah guys, Thx for your feedback and don't worry, it's in the pipe... Just struggling with priorities to get by !
France '40 map colors go the "greenish spring" way, but that said...
Typical Summer colors :
R43_sample.jpg
Typical Fall w/ mud colors (not migrated/optimized yet) :
M41_sample.jpg
Typical Winter/Snow colors (not migrated/optimized yet) :
S42_sample.jpg
N. Bonaparte