Deferred A/I Orders for attacks

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
Locust1e

Deferred A/I Orders for attacks

Post by Locust1e »

Hello!
I really enjoy playing the Panzer Campaigns Series as well as the First World War Campaigns. I have a question, and it concerns the Deferred A/I Orders. When I order a division to move to a position occupied by the enemy, do the various units of that division attack the enemy's position, or do they simply end their movement directly in front of the enemy? The Deferred A/I Orders are very useful in large scenarios to move units, but are they also useful to conduct attacks? For example, if I command several Army Corps, I might want to focus my attention on a specific location for a few turns (to perhaps make a breakthrough there) and take command of the units at that location myself. So while I am fighting in one place, does the computer take over the command of the other units through the Deferred A/I Orders? This makes large scenarios easier for me to play, but I don't know if I can really use Deferred A/I Orders in this way. Am I doing it wrong or is it possible to play this way?

Locust1e
Christophe

Re: Deferred A/I Orders for attacks

Post by Christophe »

Hello,

I really enjoy playing the Panzer Campaigns Series France 40.
I have a question concerning the Deferred A/I Orders, the same question Locust1e asked on October 16th. When I order a division to move to a position occupied by the enemy, do the various units of that division attack the enemy's position, using either Fire or Assault, or do they simply end their movement directly in front of the enemy ? In other words, can I ask the A/I to conduct an attack using the Deferred A/I Orders or can it be used only for moving ?

Thanks a lot for your help

Christophe
RickyB

Post by RickyB »

Not having tried that, I don't think most of us have an idea. Someone could set up a test with a small scenario and see. I suspect the AI would attack toward the destination once it ran into enemy forces, but I don't know that. I don't think the orders would end and so the AI would continue to at least move into contact, I believe, possibly in T mode.
LordDeadwood

Post by LordDeadwood »

RickyB wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:03 pm Not having tried that, I don't think most of us have an idea. Someone could set up a test with a small scenario and see. I suspect the AI would attack toward the destination once it ran into enemy forces, but I don't know that. I don't think the orders would end and so the AI would continue to at least move into contact, I believe, possibly in T mode.
I think Ricky is right. I've used the deferred AI orders a few times. My opinion is that it is of very limited use. For example, in a France 40 campaign scenario I tried to use the deferred AI orders to move German units that had been released from their starting locations in Germany to the front. My biggest problem with it was that it does not try to keep the units of the same organization together. I gave orders for a division to move from their staging location to a point near the front in Belgium. The motorized units (Recce and AT guns) took off leaving the foot infantry behind. Eventually the infantry would have caught up, but I prefer to keep them together. They also don't seem to maximize the use of roads by ignoring the road stacking limits, although that was an impression, I didn't actually verify it. Ricky is right, the best way to really understand it would be with a test scenario.