about bridging

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
letarsier59

about bridging

Post by letarsier59 »

Actually, the following rule prevails when it comes to the engineers «abandoning» the bridges they built: the are prevented from building an other bridge for the duration of the scenario.

However, I already read different accounts about supplying bridge éléments to engineers during the war, and I recently got one of them, as early as 1940.

«the bridges had been destroyed and the Dutch defences looked too strong. Zickwolff therefore decided to have Schnelle Gruppe Nord cross the river at Zutphen as well.
It would be some time, however, before the 227th Infantry Division could make the crossing at Zutphen. Not only was the entire division forced to cross the river at one point, there was a delay in the building of the pontoon bridge as well. The parts intended for this bridge had already been used to cross the Twenthe Canal. Zickwolff therefore had to ask the commander of the Xth Corps, General Hansen, for additional materials. It took a long while for new bridge sections to be delivered and, in addition, new delays occurred at the Apeldoorn Canal. It was not until 12 May that the 227th Infantry Division was able to advance towards the Grebbe Line at full strength.»

The battle for the Netherlands,by Hermanus Hamersfoort

Thus, I wonder if a rule of thumb could be implemented in the PzC series, something like 10% chance to receive the parts per turn between 24 and 48 hours, as long as a line can be traced to the divisional or army corps HQ.
Last edited by letarsier59 on Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Verdun1916

Re: about bridging

Post by Verdun1916 »

I also feel there should be a way to resupply bridge engineers in Panzer Campaigns aswell as in First World War Campaigns and Modern Campaigns. Off course not at the same speed as infantry, armour and artillery get ammo and fuel resupplied to them.
Or the possibiliy to build more than one bridge depending on size of the waterways. Especially in the latter where you have mechanized bridgelayer units made up of several vehicles (in this case each vehicle holds one bridge that can be deployed in minutes, not hours).
After all bridging engineer units would have the material to create bridges of either a certain maximum length or a certain amount of bridges of standard length. In the first case all of this might be needed to build one bridge over a wider water way, while it might last for more than one bridge to cross narrower water ways. And off course local materials could also be sourced, like timber, to build bridges without or to supplement the prefabricated bridge parts.