Smolensk '41 Axis tactics

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
ShermanFan

Smolensk '41 Axis tactics

Post by ShermanFan »

When playing games like SPI's War in the East, TOAW, and other operational East Front games, you don't get any sense of how the Germans were completely outnumbered because those sims reduce unit strength to take the poor Russian organization, command control, and morale into account. It's only when you take a crack at Smolensk '41 that you realize the vast numerical superiority of the Soviet army.

Though I'm doing reasonably well in my first seven turns being very aggressive in my first real attempt as the Germans in the campaign game, the truth is, if the Russians even mildly got their AI act together in the northern and middle sectors, my offensive could rapidly turn into a very difficult defensive stand. For now, the Soviets are coming at me piecemeal which plays into the German mobility. But I'm wondering if that's an historical reality, or just a relatively inept AI. There's not doubt I would have a much more difficult time against a human opponent.

So, here's the first question. What strategy and tactics do you veteran Axis commanders apply in the the game's early turns? Do you strike quickly as I've done preying on a persistent Russian incompetence, or do you wait for more forces to arrive before considering a full offensive? Perhaps some of you use a more prudent combination of both.

The second question is, Smolensk is one of the few WDS games where there are two separate full campaign scenarios and they are markedly different. Which one is more historically accurate.

Thank you!
76mm

Re: Smolensk '41 Axis tactics

Post by 76mm »

Smolensk is by far my favorite PzC game, because it is so fluid. But because of the fluidity, I would have to think that the AI will really struggle in the game; so my guess is that against the AI in a full campaign, it almost doesn't matter what the German player does, they will win. I usually play the PzC campaigns vs myself; not perfect, but the maps are so big, and there are so many units, that you can still occasionally succeed in surprising yourself!
jimkehn

Post by jimkehn »

I am on turn 53 of the grand campaign as Germany, and having a lot of fun. Have been sort of disappointed in the ease with which I was able to arrive at, and conquer Smolensk, however the devious AI has sent in a bunch of reinforcements south of Mogilev. I thought I was going to lose the 20th MOT XX but was able to pull back behind the two bridges. Not sure I can hold til I get some of my own reinforcements but he has to build a bridge in order to take back the town, or dislodge me which is doubtful. It seems to me that there are fewer Soviet units at game's start than there should be. And I am seeing a few, now, that I hadnt seen at first. 24 Pzr XX is fighting off a RFL XX which shouldnt be hard. It has been a fun game. I think Pzr Campaigns is still the best game out there....the most realistic game of this scope and size. Better than all the fancified, graphics gooped up games. Not that they arent fun to dink around with, but if you want a more realistic, grown up game, then PC is my choice. I am thinking of buying the Strategic Wars game, because I like that scale as well. I HAD The First Blitzkrieg but cant find it. I just wish they would finish the series off by adding the Eastern Front to the collection.
erick_repie

Post by erick_repie »

My choice (vs AI) PzC scn (long campaign) - (top five)are :
- Minsk 44 (AI will swallow you)
- Stalingrad 42 (scn refined by indragnir -- its very detailed)
- Korsun 44 (scn refined by indragnir too)
- Budapest 45 (scn refined by indragnir too)
ChrisAd

Post by ChrisAd »

Seemingly tere is no good simulation for Russian tactics of 41 which leads to very odd results.
The problem with translating operational effectiveness into boardgames should mean Soviets should be almost unplayable in 41.
Sunbather

Post by Sunbather »

erick_repie wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:05 am My choice (vs AI) PzC scn (long campaign) - (top five)are :
I am a few months late to your post but may I ask if you are talking about these campaigns played as the Axis vs. the Soviets? I can't really believe that the AI in Minsk 44 e.g. is very good impersonating the Soviet attacker. And I also though the grand campaign is intended for Soviet vs. AI only anyway?

Since all of these games are on my shopping list, could you elaborate a bit?
ShermanFan

Post by ShermanFan »

Yes! I do mean playing as the Axis player vs. the AI in the two versions (which are quite differently set up) of the entire campaign scenario.

As I've continued to play, I'm also very surprised by the lack of Axis air power.
erick_repie

Post by erick_repie »

Sunbather wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:09 pm
erick_repie wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:05 am My choice (vs AI) PzC scn (long campaign) - (top five)are :
I am a few months late to your post but may I ask if you are talking about these campaigns played as the Axis vs. the Soviets? I can't really believe that the AI in Minsk 44 e.g. is very good impersonating the Soviet attacker. And I also though the grand campaign is intended for Soviet vs. AI only anyway?

Since all of these games are on my shopping list, could you elaborate a bit?
Sorry for late reply - hectic schedule here.
Minsk 44 is better for vs AI (Russia) , and AI is good/mediocre when they have like 5:1 superiority in man/tanks.
Stalingrad is the same - but (Russia) AI is not good at crossing river - and Indragnir mod is for PvP only too.
Korsun also the same, Russia AI had 3-4 superiority --- fun with Indragnir mod.

Overall current AI is only good when they are grouped/in close density, should be scripted so unit cannot wander away from main Division.