No artillery ammunition

Forum for the Musket & Pike games series
Tex27

No artillery ammunition

Post by Tex27 »

I'm playing Renaissance as the Venetians in the Battle of Agnadello. I was doing quite well until I noticed the prompt "no artillery ammunition" that appears whenever I attempt to fire any of my artillery units despite having a supply wagon nearby.. I am a noob... and I can recall the manual seems to say there is a limit to the artillery ammunition you have in a given scenario.
1. Is that true?
2. If that is indeed the case, where does one look for a warning that ammunition is running out? I didn't get a message that any/all units were low on ammo.
3. Is there a way to determine at the outset of a battle what your stocks on artillery ammo are?
Sorry if I missed something here or had a senior moment, but any advice would be appreciated, including but not limited to "read the manual":). Thanks
rahamy

Re: No artillery ammunition

Post by rahamy »

Supply wagons only supply "small arms" ammunition. Artillery ammo is handled in a pool for the entire army. The current ammo level is shown in the Hex Info Area, pointed out in the image below:

arty_ammo.png
arty_ammo.png (38.86 KiB) Viewed 382 times

The level will vary from scenario to scenario. If there are very limited supplies it will often be mentioned in the scenario description. By and large artillery of the time period would not blaze away every single turn - logistics certainly was an issue - so you should always manage your supply and use it when it counts.

If artillery pieces are in the reinforcement schedule an additional batch of rounds will be added to the pool when they arrive. Can't remember if it is 6 or 8 per battery.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Tex27

Re: No artillery ammunition

Post by Tex27 »

Thanks Rich. Appreciate the quick response. Really enjoying this game and can't wait to start the others I picked up on sale. Now to break the bad news to the Venetians!