Victory Conditions in WOM Operation Telescope

Forum for the Modern Air Power games series
MikeC

Victory Conditions in WOM Operation Telescope

Post by MikeC »

I'm playing the NATO side vs the Arab AI in Operation Telescope. When I bring up the victory conditions, all the levels are set to '0' and the outcome reads "Outcome not scored." Is this correct for this scenario?

Thanks,
Mike
MikeC

Re: Victory Conditions in WOM Operation Telescope

Post by MikeC »

I had been tinkering with the scenario editor, and wondered if I had changed this file by mistake.
Hawk27

Post by Hawk27 »

Hello Mike,

That is the way the scenario was built since release back in 2008. The 4.0 release is essentially the same as WOM 1.01, with engine updates only. The 1.01 patch only adjusted a single scenario at the time, Kadesh, which has also since been outdated by those engine changes. All the other scenarios are vintage 2008 as a result.

I can't claim to know whether or not the lack of victory levels was intentional by the designer, though I highly doubt it. I could try figuring out some numbers for you to use, but the game really needs an overhaul to set the baseline for it. You should more or less aim for a "perfect" victory as the NATO countries, since it's heavily skewed against the Egyptian defenders and pretty much any losses should be seen as unacceptable.

Unfortunately MAP has never had much attention drawn to it, and I suspect that the earlier, pre-missile 1956 scenarios received even less by those who played it.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Thanks for letting me know. I was afraid I had erased some VP values by mistake when I was in the scenario editor. I play MAP against the AI, so I was just looking for a measure of how I was doing. I like to start with the earlier scenarios and work my way forward, sort of on-the-job training. I have learned quite a bit about the system by tinkering with the scenario editor.
Hawk27

Post by Hawk27 »

Understandable. I'm not saying the earlier scenarios are bad, just that they may not come across as exciting compared to missiles getting swapped back and forth.