Labels on or off hotkey....

Forum for subjects that are not covered in the dedicated forums
parmenio

Labels on or off hotkey....

Post by parmenio »

I thought I'd post this here rather than in any particular game forum because over time as each game series is "freshened up" with an emphasis on consistent toolbars and hotkeys, this will be a feature for all.

` Key - toggle the display of on-map labels.

Programmatically this is called the VK_OEM_3 key and what that key actually translates to varies from country to country.
The above is for US keyboards and it doesn't work for UK ones (like mine).

(should have said that that key is the one at the very top left on a UK keyboard. Also present on the key are the ¬ and ¦ symbols)

The actual hotkey that will turn labels on and off on UK layouts is the ' key - single quote just below the @ symbol.
Many people won't care as they'll likely use the menus or toolbars or not bother at all but I love hotkeys and use them in preference to anything else.
Occasionally, I turn the labels off to get a better look at what is underneath them.

I don't know how many other country keyboards are the same as or different from the UK or US but feel free to post here if you find out.
If you want to speed up the process, use the following tool like I did (although I can't actually believe I hadn't already tried that key):

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/keyboard_state_view.html
Last edited by parmenio on Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
LarkinVB

Re: Labels on or off hotkey....

Post by LarkinVB »

I always wished the game would properly support other keyboards than US. I can't use some keys on my DE keyboard.