Who are these guys?

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
All_American

Who are these guys?

Post by All_American »

There is a Panzergrenadier regiment belonging to the 90. Leichte-Division in some North African titles. These folks: https://i.imgur.com/cUzptbT.png

They have a distinct unit color and a Vichy flag next to their name.

My online research indicates they were Foreign Legionnaires but can't quite tell how they ended up as part of a German division. Seems like a fascinating unit.
Verdun1916

Re: Who are these guys?

Post by Verdun1916 »

As far as I can tell the Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 361 was formed in Africa from the Schützen-Regiment 361. And the Schützen-Regiment 361 was formed in Germany from amongst other former members of the French Foreign Legion.
Considering some French Foreign Legion units remained loyal to the Vichy government, and considering the Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 361 obviously must have contained some number of former Legionnaires, it might be plausable that the Germans demanded replacements from the Vichy in the shape of Legionnaires. This leading to entire platoons or maybe even companies from Vichy-loyal Foreign Legion units beeing transfered to this regiment.
However this is just speculation on my part.

https://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gl ... R361-R.htm
https://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gl ... R361-R.htm
Last edited by Verdun1916 on Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cédric Monget

Post by Cédric Monget »

Cédric Monget

Post by Cédric Monget »

Here too : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/90._Panze ... D_Regiment (It is less detailed and partially contradictory with what is said in the article I quoted above.)
RickyB

Post by RickyB »

Note, at least some of the details that are out there, including at least the Wiki link above, is these were Germans that served in the French Foreign Legion, prior to the invasion of France, and not really Vichy French related. So having them tied to Vichy may be a bit misleading? However, I have no primary sources myself for the nationalities of the original FFL members of the unit so there very well may have been a significant number from France also.
All_American

Post by All_American »

RickyB wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:42 pm Note, at least some of the details that are out there, including at least the Wiki link above, is these were Germans that served in the French Foreign Legion, prior to the invasion of France, and not really Vichy French related. So having them tied to Vichy may be a bit misleading?
Well, without them having a Vichy tag I wouldn't otherwise have learned about their unit history! Part and parcel of what makes PzC games so fun.
Cédric Monget

Post by Cédric Monget »

RickyB wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:42 pm Note, at least some of the details that are out there, including at least the Wiki link above, is these were Germans that served in the French Foreign Legion, prior to the invasion of France, and not really Vichy French related. So having them tied to Vichy may be a bit misleading? However, I have no primary sources myself for the nationalities of the original FFL members of the unit so there very well may have been a significant number from France also.
Yes, that's what it looks like :
Shortly thereafter, the Afrika Regiment 361 arrived from Germany, where it had been formed. This last regiment had the particularity of being made up of soldiers from the French Foreign Legion, and therefore, in a way, mercenaries whose loyalty could be questioned. Some of its members were deployed to Bardia to perfect their training. If Paul Carell is to be believed, one of its members, captured, would then have served in the Long Range Desert Group, which operated on the rear of the Axis forces in the desert, before betraying the British during a mission. For some Germans, these legionnaires were nothing but lansquenets for whom patriotism and nationalism meant nothing. / Peu après, arrive d’Allemagne, où il a été constitué, l’Afrika Regiment 361. Ce dernier régiment a pour particularisme d’être formé de soldats issus de la Légion étrangère française, et donc en quelque sorte des mercenaires dont la fidélité peut être remise en question. Certains de ses éléments se déploient à Bardia pour parfaire leur entraînement. S’il faut en croire Paul Carell, un de ses membres, capturé, aurait ensuite servi au sein du Long Range Desert Group, qui opère sur les arrières des forces de l’Axe dans le désert, avant de trahir les Britanniques au cours d’une mission. Pour certains Allemands, ces légionnaires ne sont que des lansquenets pour lesquels patriotisme et nationalisme ne veulent rien dire.
https://benoitrondeau.com/90-leichte-afrika-division/