Bulge 44 - Herbstnebil

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
scoutaz2021

Bulge 44 - Herbstnebil

Post by scoutaz2021 »

This is a fun OOB but it doesn't have Deception units??

Any way to add them?

With all of the unit counters, having the Deception units is critical.
3-37 Armor

Re: Bulge 44 - Herbstnebil

Post by 3-37 Armor »

scoutaz2021 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:17 am This is a fun OOB but it doesn't have Deception units??

Any way to add them?

With all of the unit counters, having the Deception units is critical.
It does. I'm working on simplifying the original Herbstnebel oob for my own use, and the deception units are shown under Panzer Brigade 150 as 'Einheit Stellau' and their unit type is 'SS Commando'. They are 4 man US jeep equipped teams with no firepower, but do have deception value. There are 8 teams.
scoutaz2021

Post by scoutaz2021 »

Thank you for the reply.
I pulled up the Strength window and found the 150th.
It lists the "Einheit Steilau" but it says ***NOT PRESENT***

I played it before for 4 turns and looked at the reinforcements and didn't see them there.
3-37 Armor

Post by 3-37 Armor »

scoutaz2021 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:02 pm Thank you for the reply.

I played it before for 4 turns and looked at the reinforcements and didn't see them there.
You're right about that, and we'd have to talk with the scenario designer to find out why he created but never used them. Maybe because the scenario itself is so complex and huge without adding in some more "chrome"? Guess we'll never know.

It's easy enough to add them in though. If you want them on map at start (if I remember correctly they were to the rear of KG Peiper killing time for the first day or two). Or, you could have them arrive as reinforcements at hexes you designate.

Honestly though (and opinions will differ) the Grief teams didn't have a ton of real impact on the battle; they really only caused GI's to have to brush up on trivia and baseball teams. Hollywood and some writers I think tend to over exaggerate sometimes. Just my personal observation of course.
scoutaz2021

Post by scoutaz2021 »

That sounds like a good fix.
How would I add the units?

What changes are you doing to the OOB?
3-37 Armor

Post by 3-37 Armor »

My best advice is that you open up the scenario editor, load up Herbstnebel, have look around and the make the changes you want. Just be sure you back up the original, and save your work under a different name.

The editor instructions are pretty comprehensive, so you shouldn't have many issues.

The changes I'm making involve reducing the unit count on both sides. For instance, I'm folding most battalion and regimental heavy weapons, anti-tank, and anti-aircraft units into the units they support, adjusting strength and firepower as needed. There's more, but I want to also add the German 15th and US 9th Armies, while increasing the map area. That's possible using the France 40 title but does take some effort. It'll be a while, since I only just finished and tested the 6th Panzer Army.
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

3-37 Armor wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:51 pm
scoutaz2021 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:02 pm Thank you for the reply.

You're right about that, and we'd have to talk with the scenario designer to find out why he created but never used them. Maybe because the scenario itself is so complex and huge without adding in some more "chrome"? Guess we'll never know.

It's easy enough to add them in though. If you want them on map at start (if I remember correctly they were to the rear of KG Peiper killing time for the first day or two). Or, you could have them arrive as reinforcements at hexes you designate.

Honestly though (and opinions will differ) the Grief teams didn't have a ton of real impact on the battle; they really only caused GI's to have to brush up on trivia and baseball teams. Hollywood and some writers I think tend to over exaggerate sometimes. Just my personal observation of course.
Well they did managed to piss off field marshall Montgomery atleast! :lol:
Indragnir

Post by Indragnir »

3-37 Armor wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:51 pm Honestly though (and opinions will differ) the Grief teams didn't have a ton of real impact on the battle; they really only caused GI's to have to brush up on trivia and baseball teams. Hollywood and some writers I think tend to over exaggerate sometimes. Just my personal observation of course.
You're very right. Their effect was absolutely negligible. I would remove them from the game also. In the game they can cause dozens of disruptions and stop some key bridge-blowing. That's totaly and absolutely a-historical.
The movie did a lot of damage to the true battle.
3-37 Armor

Post by 3-37 Armor »

Indragnir wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:15 pm
3-37 Armor wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:51 pm Honestly though (and opinions will differ) the Grief teams didn't have a ton of real impact on the battle; they really only caused GI's to have to brush up on trivia and baseball teams. Hollywood and some writers I think tend to over exaggerate sometimes. Just my personal observation of course.
You're very right. Their effect was absolutely negligible. I would remove them from the game also. In the game they can cause dozens of disruptions and stop some key bridge-blowing. That's totaly and absolutely a-historical.
The movie did a lot of damage to the true battle.
THAT movie was truly awful! Full of errors and flat out Hollywood inventions, like empty 55 gallon drums on fuel trucks, Germans with siphon hoses, and the movie's psuedo-Pieper on some sort of quest/treasure hunt for fuel, while on a big "master clock" at what I guess was supposed to be OB West or maybe OKW.

Truth is that fuel quantity was not the problem. The issue was getting it forward from Armee and Korps supply points to the fighting units, and also transporting it from the large depots on the east bank of the Rhine.

Either way, that movie wasn't worth the film wasted on it.
scoutaz2021

Post by scoutaz2021 »

Got it done.

That's the first time I have ever edited a game.

I see you are from Pennsylvania. Did you attend any of the Historicon events?

I went for 6 years and then one year in Fredericksburg.

Played some great Napoleonic miniatures there.