Forum to share your glorious wins and losses
ChrisAd

MG'44 (alt Scen from Scheldt)

Post by ChrisAd »

Setup: PvP
Gameplay: 2-4 turns per day.

Situation as of 5am on 18/09/44
Arnhem
Well great news right, right? The Red Devils have taken the North side of the bridge. Yes but no. Ze Germans said - Das kann nicht sein! And the bridge is gone. Believe it or not in 27 games in MG'44 (havent played PvP in Scheldt before) this has never happened!
So that poor unit who made it to the bridge is doomed as I have taken the other bridge easily (the railway bridge; can it handle tanks?).
Anyways immediate thing I have noticed in this sector is that the Allied player have perfect overview and control of its units.
Second observation was: few first turns and all is already going completely different than expected, which is what a game should try to simulate.

Nijmegen
So far so good, if I manage to take at least on lane of the bridge next day I will call it a major achievement. But the resistance is already getting stronger. I wish I had first pushed for the Arnhem railway bridge so I could have pushed a company of Red Devils towards Nijmegen.

Veghel (HH)
Very quickly I have managed to secure a corridor to Nijmegen for the XXX Corp. I hope they make it on the schedule as otherwise I took a huge gamble and spread the Paras all over the corridor.

Eindhoven
It looks to good to be true but I am already capturing the city without much of a fight. Also the corridor towards Veghel is secured.

XXX Corp
Only twice in the history of playing PzC MG campaign a player made it to Nijmegen on the schedule. Well, once my opponent even make it a bit ahead of the schedule.
In this game I am already running late. The Germans just don't want to drink the English tea and seems rather to be inclined to stick to the Schwarzbrot mit Frikadelle fighting to the last man. Hope that my flanking manouver pans out. Otherwise I know (unfortunately the knowledge is big part of messing up the games) that I got stuck in Eindhoven.

As already mentioned: the big elephant in the room is that a player knows exactly what are the enemy objectives, when and what units are released and (with experienced player) almost all possible options. Me and my opponent have a house rule to be as reasonably unbiased as possible but again you can unlearn things. You simply know them and you will use them to your advantage.
Scheldt MG provides, luckily, a degree of randomness with the bridges as one cannot ever guess the outcome of the first 24 hours. Afterwards it becomes very predictable (as with any other historically based game).
I whish Scheldt had the version of MG that allows for random drop zone (which MG'44) and random weather & releases (also MG'44 feature). That what got me in the PzC - the unpredictability. Unfortunately most of other titles do not provide much of that. They are rather dry recreation of historical events (unless you have a very experienced player against a rather mediocre one).

Next post will be on Dawn Turn of 19/09/44 (probably late today or latest tomorrow morning)
ChrisAd

Re: MG'44 (alt Scen from Scheldt)

Post by ChrisAd »

18 September as of 17:00 (before any moves)
Arnhem
The Arnhem bridge post has fallen. All them brave lads who achieved exactly what they were tasked out with have been left to their fate once the Germans have blown the bridge. It was painful to watch them being decimated. It was frustrating sacrificing them to fortify position on the railway bridge. This was a moment of how I assume true CO were feeling.
Otherwise the Red Devils established themselves in the Arnhem sector and have secured the railway bridge (how crucial now it will be to hold it!).
My opponent already started pushing hard. Luckily to little effect but I fear this will be one of the toughest battles I have fought in the past 2-3 years.

Nijmegen
I have managed to secure the south side of the bridge but was not lucky to get across the unblown lane. My efforts were meet with hard resistance and costed already substantial casualties.
Securing the corridor will be a challenge. The men are spread thin and the Germans seems to be coming already in numbers.

Veghel
A rare moment of total surprise for both players. My opponent sent a recon company which almost took the Veghel skeleton crew out. Luckily I had managed to contain and encircled them pesky Krauz. Soon they will be history!

XXX Corps
Well, again, I almost lost the crucial points in Eindhoven but made a last moment saves to avoid loosing control of them bridges. Elements of XXX Corps already reached the outskirts Eindhoven and I have a secure corridor on the east side of the river to bypass the Eindhoven. So at least I should be able to send a task force racing to Veghel and then towards Nijmegen (darn it is a long way to go!).
Unfortunately there are still some leftover Krauz in Valkenswaard blocking my troops. Why they just don't surrender? :roll:
ChrisAd

Post by ChrisAd »

Status 19 Sep 44 as of 5am

Arnhem
A bit of stalemate in the Northern Sector as I cannot get across the Waal. I assume that only with the boats I might get further. Unless Fort Pannerde ferry won't get damaged when my flanking party reach it. It is playing maximum risk but I have no time to loose. I need to get the Nijmegen bridge or de facto the battle is lost.

XXX Corp
I have manged to bypass Eindhoven thanks to capturing important bridges east of the city. Thus I can move XXX Corp quickly towards Nijmegen. I am currently just 4hrs behind the plan. That is quite an achievement taking into account the numerous times when I have moved units by mistake creating clogs and delays on the main road.
Valkenswaard had been finally cleared and the main force is pouring into the opening.

If it was not for the shaky position on Arnhem sector I would be rather in quite good spirit. I so much regret charging the Arnhem bridge at the cost of my favourite manoeuvre - pushing some Red Devils down south to taken Nijmegen from the North (90% of time works like a charm). Also I am getting anxious about the German armour. I know it is coming but not sure where my opponent will deliver the first blow.
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

That's a great read so far :). I'm interested to see how it goes.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
ChrisAd

Post by ChrisAd »

Status as of 19 Sep 44 21:00 (before any moves)

Arnhem
As mentioned earlier - this is turning into meatgrinder which Red Devils simply cannot win. The good thing is that the XXX Corp has reached the Nijmegen. The bad thing there are still on the wrong side of the river.

Nijmegen
Some fighting ensued with the armoured elements but my enemy has by chances got himself a pickle trying to take the Aaldonk bridge. I usually I use it as a bait and was surprised that another one German player took it. So he lost two things: element of surprise (I know where you are you pesky Fritzes!) and quite a lot of AFVs (and for literally nothing as I absolutely do not need them bridges - I would blow them up if it wasn't for diverting opponents attention). So on this side I have ze Germans exactly where I wanted them to be and my opponent seemed at the moment to be more occupied with saving his precious armour than with cutting the Hell's Highway (which was my intention).
Alas I had to give up on the hope of getting through the bridge. Luckily first rubber boats have arrived so I will try the night crossing. I hope I want fail as (from previous experiences) you get one chance to do it right (so no pressure on me!).

Veghel (last dedicated entry for this sector as it is under control)
Germans are trying to mount some counteroffensive but since the XXX Corp bypassed the Eindhoven the Brits are already on the Jerries and giving them a bit of the ol' British medicine.
Thus, unless something drastic happens - I will not focus on this sector further.

PS. On two occasions some of the bridges east of Eindhoven (quite far but still) were blow after they were captured and crossed over by couple of units. Was a bit puzzled by this events? Why it does only happen in this particular place?
ChrisAd

Post by ChrisAd »

parmenio wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:00 pm That's a great read so far :). I'm interested to see how it goes.
Nice to hear, will keep them coming :)
ChrisAd

Post by ChrisAd »

We have agreed with my opponent that should I not make it across Nijmegen bridge within next 24hrs we decide to stop the game.
The reason being it will be just a pointless meatgrinder and not much a challenge if the bridge will not be captured.
There is a chance, should I get some Brits from XXX Corps to the railway bridge, that we will continue even if Nijmegen won't get captured. But currently we both think to rather restart swapping the sides.

Will post an update after the weekend.

PS. I got some 500 US paras and 1200 Brits across the river but my opponent has already built a substantial dug-in force on this side of Nijmegen bridge. It just looks like should he feel not able to hold it he will blow it. Hence the above-mentioned gentleman agreement (he will not blew up it now as he intended).
ChrisAd

Post by ChrisAd »

Unfortunately my opponent had a hardware crash and we had to restart.
Therefore you will see the original post updated (for comparison) as the outcome of course have changed (gotta love MG'44 for this).

We also have agreed on two house rules:
1. ze Germans north of Eindhoven skip the first turn.
2. ze Germans north of Eindhoven have to follow the historical "activities" path for turns 2-4 (till first night turn).

This two rules improved greatly the gameplay.

PS. I have tried to change the wired on Arnhem bridge but in the editor the road bridge shows as unwired 🤔
ChrisAd

Post by ChrisAd »

17-Sep-1944 as of 21:00 before any moves

Arnhem
Because of the issues with the mechanics of blowing up bridges I have decided not to approach Arnhem road bridge and send one of KSOB companies across the railroad bridge to hit the Nijmegen bridge.

Eindhoven
82nd secured an important Son bridge and was clearing the approach to it. Next day I am again planning on clearing a corridor east of Eindhoven for the XXX Corp.

XXX Corp
Relatively decent outcome of the first day. Although another mechanics is being exposed here. There is an enemy unit in the town which lost 70% of it's men but it was still only disrupted. This is absurd and should be changed. Only elite units could maintain coherence in light of such losses.
ChrisAd

Post by ChrisAd »

18-Sep-1944 as of 5:00 before any moves

Arnhem
Some German scouts tried assaulting Red Devils on the railroad bridge approach and were fairly easily repelled. Other than that was a rather quite quiet night and the chaps are in high spirits.

Nijmegen
The 82nd first assault on Nijmegen bridge was unsuccessful, however the Germans have had high losses so I hope to be able to take the bridge later during the day.
Also a secondary objective (highway) bridge in Neerbosch was captured.
Elements of 82nd were sent south to secure other secondary objectives.