Austerlitz Melee Calculation

Forum for the Napoleonic Battles games series
Thomas_Whitfield

Austerlitz Melee Calculation

Post by Thomas_Whitfield »

I am trying to get a better handle on melee attacking strength.

The first screenshot shows the Austrian guard with a quality A.
The second screenshot shows the first staged attack. In the Excel workbook (4th screenshot), I am able to reconcile the effective attacking and defending force numbers.
The third screenshot shows a different unit attacking and, what I assume is an enfilade angle, however, I am not able to reconcile the attacking force numbers.

I am curious as to what I am doing wrong or forgetting. I have looked through the parameter data and user manual, but I am stumped. It is the #000 Getting Started scenario.

Thank you.
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 4
Screenshot 4
TheGrayMouser

Re: Austerlitz Melee Calculation

Post by TheGrayMouser »

In general you don’t factor each bonus separately, they are netted in some cases and then multiplied , then that product is multiplied . So in the 655 man attacker you take 655 x 1.6 (40 and 20 % bonuses) then take that and multiply by 1.25 which is 1310.
Thomas_Whitfield

Post by Thomas_Whitfield »

Thank you very much!
Plain Ian

Post by Plain Ian »

Very nice spreadsheet with breakdown of bonuses. It made me read through the rule section properly. As an old PzC player I tend to assume things are pretty similar between the series so I was surprised to see that Quality factors only apply to the best (A) and the worst (E) units and not to all quality types.

I'm still a bit confused about the 'holding fire' aspect. Its per turn? But a turn has two player phases? So is this over both phases? Plus what about auto defensive fire? Does this count?

Good work though. Maybe we can add illustrations things like this to the manual?
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Plain Ian wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:38 am Very nice spreadsheet with breakdown of bonuses. It made me read through the rule section properly. As an old PzC player I tend to assume things are pretty similar between the series so I was surprised to see that Quality factors only apply to the best (A) and the worst (E) units and not to all quality types.

I'm still a bit confused about the 'holding fire' aspect. Its per turn? But a turn has two player phases? So is this over both phases? Plus what about auto defensive fire? Does this count?

Good work though. Maybe we can add illustrations things like this to the manual?
The hold fire bonus for both sides is for the duration of whomevers “active” turn it is. So if if player A starts his turn ( with phases on, he moves, then the defender gets to shoot( or not) then A shoots(or not) and then A can melee.
Units that fired don’t get the bonus.
When the end turn button is hit, now B is the active player and the hold fire is reset so to speak.

Phases , with auto defensive fire selected plays the same except there is no defensive fire phase by player B, instead there is a random chance the B Units will shoot during A’s movement phases or if attacked during the melee phase.

Turn based has no phases for shooting and the non active player shoot randomly just as above.

Hope this helped!