Enhancing the Visibility of Breastworks

Forum to share all game modifications
Steve_R.

Enhancing the Visibility of Breastworks

Post by Steve_R. »

I would like to suggest, with the next upgrade, that the WDS team enhance the visibility of breastwork. I find them very hard to observe, even when in 3D normal view (5) (very beautiful), in part when there are a lot of units in the hex. I was hoping that by toggling "units off" that would show the breastworks when the units became hidden. Alas, it did not. Additionally can breastworks be shown in the terrain info box?
Tex78

Re: Enhancing the Visibility of Breastworks

Post by Tex78 »

I second that motion, impossible to tell with units on and hard to see with them off.
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Here's what I'm seeing in my install of Antietam... are you seeing the same thing?

Breastworks.png
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Steve_R.

Post by Steve_R. »

The last (bottom) image is with the units off, which is what I would like to see. Unfortunately, it appears that images cannot be directly posted here. That means I won't be able to provide a screenshot of what I see unless there is a way to do it.

The top image also shows what I would like to see. However, in my case the number of troops on the hex significantly obscures the breastworks. In my case, I am playing Smithfield Crossing in the Shenandoah Campaign.

As a side note: in the images provided, the breastworks are at the bottom, the troops are "above" the breastworks so the vertical height of the troops does not obstruct viewing the breastworks. In my case, the breastworks are at the "top" of the hex, so the vertical height of the troops obstructs fully seeing the breastworks.
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

You should be able to attach images - go into the "Full Editor & Preview" rather than using the "Quick Reply" mode.

All the screen shots are from the existing 4.01 versions of the games - so what is available to everyone.

The only way the "top" hexside image could be made clearer would be to change to way the program writes the graphics - and it would display over top the units...which would yield other complaints, so not seeing a solution there... 2D would be your answer.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Steve_R.

Post by Steve_R. »

After poking around a bit more, I figured out how to add a picture as an attachment. I had failed to notice the "attachment" tab at the bottom of the screen. That allowed me to upload the pictures. My apologies.

In the image below you can barely see the breastworks.
Normal_View.png
Screenshot with units off activated.
Units_Off.png
TwoD view. The breastworks are not visible.
TwoD_View.png
Surprise Surprise. Surprise. The breastworks are barely visible in this 2D view with the units off.
I had to look very very very carefully. I do have a vision problem.
2D_Units_Off.png
Terrain Map does not show constructed breastworks.
TerrainMap.png
TerrainMap.png (47.99 KiB) Viewed 904 times
Thanks very much for providing this forum so that these concerns can be discussed. I also realize that not all concerns can be addressed.The graphics are superb.
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

I use 2D mode almost exclusively and have found that with units turned off and max zoom it generally makes breastworks more easily discernible in most terrain.