How do you figure out the targets for artillery?

Forum for the Panzer Campaigns games series
Byzantine1990

How do you figure out the targets for artillery?

Post by Byzantine1990 »

When you're playing a big campaign, how do you keep track of targets for artillery? Do you just end up hitting a single hex every time you can? Do you try to spread out targets?
Lethal2615

Re: How do you figure out the targets for artillery?

Post by Lethal2615 »

I imagine everyone comes up with their own solution to this important question. I try to use artillery where it can cause the most damage. So, instead of attacking units in a fortification, I will attack a unit in the open. My number one priority is enemy artillery (including ATG), then units in travel mode, engineers and infantry in the open. A regular tactic is to use artillery in the hope of disrupting the enemy unit prior to an assault by other units. It is generally preferable to use artillery in concert with other attacks although this is not always possible.
unonimus

Post by unonimus »

For Japan '45 and '46, I use something like this:

1-) Everything that is in travel mode.
2-) Easy targets.
3-) Fortified places that need to be captured save bunkers.
4-) Bunkers that need to be captured (only by some ships).
5-) Other undisrupted units.
6-) Disrupted units.
7-) Broken units.
8 -) Move those artillery.

It does kind of indicate that I concentrate the firing on a couple of units.
edh68

Post by edh68 »

Almost anything in T mode will get special attention
Artillery if I can see it
Engineers
Will pound any of the above if possible BUT
The main focus is whatever is the most immediate threat either coming at me or along the main route of attack
Byzantine1990

Post by Byzantine1990 »

Lethal2615 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:31 am I imagine everyone comes up with their own solution to this important question. I try to use artillery where it can cause the most damage. So, instead of attacking units in a fortification, I will attack a unit in the open. My number one priority is enemy artillery (including ATG), then units in travel mode, engineers and infantry in the open. A regular tactic is to use artillery in the hope of disrupting the enemy unit prior to an assault by other units. It is generally preferable to use artillery in concert with other attacks although this is not always possible.
Thank you. How do you spread out your artillery? If you have three guns do you keep hitting the same hex?
Lethal2615

Post by Lethal2615 »

The primary goal of artillery is to disrupt the defenders. So, consider which enemy hexes you are going to attack this turn and rate them in importance. Fire artillery at the most tactically important hex that will be attacked by ground forces this turn until its occupant is Disrupted, then move onto the next. Note that the most tactically important hex in a zone may not be the most important for "this turn". Another hex providing support for key terrain may have to be eliminated/occupied to give you the opportunity to take the key terrain/objective later.

Consider the enemy defensive features. A Bunker is near impervious to artillery so don't waste your resource. Use assets with a high Hard factor for those. Each enemy hex is a small puzzle to solve.
Steel God

Post by Steel God »

All of these answers are right, and yet all of them are wrong, because the answer is always situational. All of the suggestions are valid and make good sense, and yet each could have the "except when" appended to it.
"Listen, I can design a better pencil, but I can't stop someone from sticking it up their nose." - John Tiller