The Great Northern War

Forum for the Musket & Pike games series
Verdun1916

The Great Northern War

Post by Verdun1916 »

Hi guys!

Any news on the upcoming Great Northern War title? :)
This is a title I have been dreaming about for years!

Cheers from Sweden!

Max
rahamy

Re: The Great Northern War

Post by rahamy »

Soon...
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

rahamy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:00 pmSoon...
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!

I can hardly wait! :D

Thanks for the quick response!
panther421

Post by panther421 »

Just purchased and downloaded GNW. Very impressive. Looking forward to playing this. Lots of reading, as there are new features. I trust plans for the series include fixing 7YW. Thanks WDS!
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Interested in this title and hoping to hear more impressions. Realize it has only been a couple of days since release so might take awhile.
PaulSan

Post by PaulSan »

panther421 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:43 am I trust plans for the series include fixing 7YW.
What's wrong with 7YW? I only very recently got interested in it. I don't even own it at this point. So I haven't followed it at all.

Thanks!
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

PaulSan wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:15 am
panther421 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:43 am I trust plans for the series include fixing 7YW.
What's wrong with 7YW? I only very recently got interested in it. I don't even own it at this point. So I haven't followed it at all.

Thanks!
There’s nothing wrong with it. I assume the op just means he hopes it will be updated to the same standard.
Winterkeep

Post by Winterkeep »

Hello everyone,
New to the forum, just because of The Great Northern War title.
I might even be one of the happiest persons to see this game come to life.

Some twenty years ago I actually made working scenarios of Narva and Poltava. Modding Talonsoft title, Napoleon in Russia, using the tools that were available at the time. Going so far as to hexedit the nir.exe file to replace some unused nations name with the name “Swedish”.
They didn’t get much playing though, so if they were balanced or fun to play, I have no idea. The challenge was to make them work and learning more about the history.

Then this game just popped up. Me founding out just one day before its release.
As with all “Tiller” products it is seems very historical accurate and It looks great!
A thing I never achieved was the 3D graphics, but here you have it in all its splendour. Fantastic to see the different uniform colours of the Swedish infantry marching up in columns against the Redoubts in Poltava.
A tip if you want an even closer look, is to use the built in zoom in Windows (windows key and plus(+) key together). Makes the graphics almost look like paintings.

I probably will start trying to mod this game as well, but in the meanwhile I’ll just enjoy it, starting with the battle of Kliszow and those Winged Hussars 😊.

/Lars

Narva and Poltava Talonsoft mod style:
Narva_1.jpg
Poltava_1.jpg
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Welcome to the Forums Lars, hope you enjoy the game!
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Jules Verne

Post by Jules Verne »

Welcome Lars! I must also say this is a hugely anticipated title on my side, possibly my favorite to date. Many of the battlesites I can visit in a days travel which adds to my enjoyment.

With such varied forces as there are represented in this game, and with a timeslot spanning 18 years what is not to like!!! And Winged hussars and swedish salvo foot, and an equal amount of research into their adversaries. I am glad to see that despite suffering many defeats, the danish forces have not been unfairly judged as incompetent :D I look forward to play many MP matches with this title.