Strange results?

Forum for the Napoleonic Battles games series
IainF

Strange results?

Post by IainF »

Hello all,

During the course of the two big Waterloo and Leipzig games I'm currently playing some results have happened that I think seem a little 'off' and would like clarification please.

First one is concerning cavalry charging into other cavalry that are disordered and being hit in the flank or rear and losing the melee. In a few of these instances the formed charging cavalry have been numerically inferior (but not horrendously so) to those being charged but I'd have thought that the fact the charged units are both Disordered and not facing the chargers would negate that somewhat.

The second one is Infantry hitting limbered artillery and coming off worse, how the hell does that happen?
rahamy

Re: Strange results?

Post by rahamy »

Please send supporting game files to Helpdesk@wargameds.com - that's the only way to give you a precise answer and determine if it's just bad luck or if there's a problem in the data or code.

To yield the best results a game file from "before" the issue occurred is needed. In a replay we can sometimes use the data as well. Screen shots are next to worthless as they do not give us a complete picture.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

IainF wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:32 am First one is concerning cavalry charging into other cavalry that are disordered and being hit in the flank or rear and losing the melee. In a few of these instances the formed charging cavalry have been numerically inferior (but not horrendously so) to those being charged but I'd have thought that the fact the charged units are both Disordered and not facing the chargers would negate that somewhat.
The fact that the defenders are Disordered and facing the wrong way does penalize them but still a negative result for the attackers is entirely possible given the inherent advantage defenders have in a melee (in terms of low/high combat values). This is especially true if you're charging into a cavalry units and as such lose the x3 charging bonus.
WDS Support
chris_merchant

Post by chris_merchant »

The second one is Infantry hitting limbered artillery and coming off worse, how the hell does that happen?
Yeah that doesn't sound right. FYI - I did a quick test in Waterloo 4.05 with inf vs french limbered arty and inf vs British limbered arty and the results were as expected, the arty didn't fare too well.
Generalcanada

Post by Generalcanada »

I have found that with Leipzig as well. Disordered, limbered artillery will occasionally slaughter my infantry for no apparent reason such as terrain or quality.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Please send supporting game files to Helpdesk@wargameds.com - that's the only way to give you a precise answer and determine if it's just bad luck or if there's a problem in the data or code.

To yield the best results a game file from "before" the issue occurred is needed.
IainF

Post by IainF »

Xerxes77 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:46 am The fact that the defenders are Disordered and facing the wrong way does penalize them but still a negative result for the attackers is entirely possible given the inherent advantage defenders have in a melee (in terms of low/high combat values). This is especially true if you're charging into a cavalry units and as such lose the x3 charging bonus.
Sorry but being hit in the flank or up the jacksie should negate any or most of any advantage that a defending unit has in melee, especially if they are disordered, to me it seems nonsensical.

Also surely any disordered cavalry should not negate the charging bonus of a formed cavalry unit's charge, this actually goes against the cavalry tactics of the time. They would keep a reserve to charge into enemy squadrons when they were disordered after initial or previous melee, and the newly attacking squadrons would usually win as the receiving squadrons couldn't counter charge properly. I do agree that it shouldn't be a foregone result and there should be a chance of the disordered defenders winning the combat but the chances should be lower than what they currently are in the game.
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

And for the third time...as nothing has been received at the HelpDesk:

To yield the best results a game file from "before" the issue occurred is needed. In a replay we can sometimes use the data as well. Screen shots are next to worthless as they do not give us a complete picture.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager