GPU or CPU

Forum for subjects that are not covered in the dedicated forums
Fenix

GPU or CPU

Post by Fenix »

I need to switch a laptop for a while and I looked at gaming laptops and decided I probably did not need a high-end rig (and the expense) to run WDS games.

Then I got to wondering if the games demand that much of a GPU and how much they rely on the CPU in order to run. I am not a techie at all.

Basically what kind of GPU and CPU configuration will run the games comfortably on a laptop?

Thanks,
All_American

Re: GPU or CPU

Post by All_American »

My fairly old (10 years!) laptop is running WDS games fine. Which is something I appreciate a lot. So you probably don't need anything too fancy.
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Try to get one with a dedicated 512 MB or greater of VRAM, and that should have you covered for all our games.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Fenix

Post by Fenix »

Thanks, both. Good info,
JPVee-511

Post by JPVee-511 »

I imagine any NEW laptop with contemporary hardware will be able to run all wargames easily. Get the one with the largest screen within your budget.
Dion

Post by Dion »

JPVee-511 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:23 pm I imagine any NEW laptop with contemporary hardware will be able to run all wargames easily. Get the one with the largest screen within your budget.
I second that, don't forget screen size, even though it's not a system requirement, it will enhance everything you do on the computer. Also remember that with a laptop, a small screen means you will also get a small keyboard, which means you will have to get used to playing games with small keys, so get a laptop with a big screen. With a desktop you could "mix and match", so you wouldn't have that problem, but in my opinion a laptop is the best gaming platform because its more mobile.
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

I just want to second what Dion says above. I am not sure how old you are...how good the eyes are but small laptop screens can get awful cramped and things real small. Unless you are on the run/road a lot and need a light mobile machine...get a 16-17inch screen (...they are heavier). I use my laptop as my primary machine and stays mostly at home, it has a 17in screen and I would not want to go smaller much smaller. Pretty much any current or modern Intel Core or AMD Ryzen based CPU will be more than fine (a discrete GPU is a bonus...and for war games like WDS any current discrete GPU will have more than enough RAM and horse power). Another thing I have come to love for war gaming and would not want to be without is a keyboard with backlight (I seem to play in the dark a lot).
fadelman

Post by fadelman »

gabeeg wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:14 am I just want to second what Dion says above. I am not sure how old you are...how good the eyes are but small laptop screens can get awful cramped and things real small. Unless you are on the run/road a lot and need a light mobile machine...get a 16-17inch screen (...they are heavier). I use my laptop as my primary machine and stays mostly at home, it has a 17in screen and I would not want to go smaller much smaller. Pretty much any current or modern Intel Core or AMD Ryzen based CPU will be more than fine (a discrete GPU is a bonus...and for war games like WDS any current discrete GPU will have more than enough RAM and horse power). Another thing I have come to love for war gaming and would not want to be without is a keyboard with backlight (I seem to play in the dark a lot).
Or you could do what I do, hook up to 27" monitors to my 17" laptop ;)