Elevation Mod

Forum for the Civil War Battles games series
chrisperleberg

Elevation Mod

Post by chrisperleberg »

Here's the elevation mod I did for the civil war series. It just displays 2D elevation more clearly. Here is an example of the game screen and the modded screen:
Attachments
civil war stock.jpg
civil war mod.jpg
chrisperleberg

Re: Elevation Mod

Post by chrisperleberg »

And here are the files:
Attachments
elevation Mod -CWC.zip
(50.54 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

chrisperleberg wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:25 am And here are the files:
You elevation mod is amazing, truly amazing......and whilst I understand what you did, I'm a 'bit' lost with it.

Firstly, I have no experience or understanding of the Editor in the CWB series or indeed any of the others either. Secondly, I also find the elevations in the CWB series very difficult to discern and always use the 'Period Hotkey' to watch my elevation changes. Thirdly, I come from a board wargaming background, way back in the ('70/80's) with SPI, Avalon Hill & GDW where the map elevations, especially SPI's, literally jumped out at you. In particular I refer to SPI's "Highway to the Reich" 1st Ed., where, although some may have thought it garish, I loved it for the clarity of elevation/LOS/LOF etc. The mod you posted appears to have the same effect, complete clarity regarding elevation change. What I don't understand is as follows :

1. I didn't think the maps in CWB series or any for that matter could be edited !
2. If a modded map, such as yours, is to be used in a PBEM game, must both players be using the modded map in order to play ?
3. Does the modding of the map effect anything else in the game ?
4. What game was the map mod you posted from ?
5. I'm assuming the deeper the color the higher the elevation ? Did/do you have a TEC/terrain key for it ?

Finally, I appreciate all I have written above is way beyond what you intended with your post and if it's beyond what you wish to explain, I understand completely. Nonetheless, your mod is, as I said, amazing, and I thank you for posting it. It provides me with much inspiration.
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

It's not a modified map, it is modified graphics files used to display the map.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

rahamy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:23 pm It's not a modified map, it is modified graphics files used to display the map.
Appreciated Rich, even if I have no idea what that means :shock: :shock: :shock:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Erzhog Karl wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:48 pm
rahamy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:23 pm It's not a modified map, it is modified graphics files used to display the map.
Appreciated Rich, even if I have no idea what that means :shock: :shock: :shock:
It basically means the changes do not affect game mechanics, data files nor your ongoing PBEM games, the mod just replaces the stock images stored in your game installation. Your opponent may see different colors in their own copy, but functionally the game will be unaltered.
WDS Support
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

Xerxes77 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:40 pm
Erzhog Karl wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:48 pm
It basically means the changes do not affect game mechanics, data files nor your ongoing PBEM games, the mod just replaces the stock images stored in your game installation. Your opponent may see different colors in their own copy, but functionally the game will be unaltered.
Xerxes: Brilliant Stuff, a million thanks, much appreciated, clear as crystal.
One last 'stupid' question....does the mod replace each stock hex of a given elevation OR does each hex in a game map have to be 'modded' individually :o :shock: :o :shock:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Erzhog Karl wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:11 pm One last 'stupid' question....does the mod replace each stock hex of a given elevation OR does each hex in a game map have to be 'modded' individually :o :shock: :o :shock:
Nope, the game uses graphic files containing all possible elevation variations so typically a mod only needs to replace a handful of images ;)
WDS Support
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

Xerxes77 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:39 am
Erzhog Karl wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:11 pm One last 'stupid' question....does the mod replace each stock hex of a given elevation OR does each hex in a game map have to be 'modded' individually :o :shock: :o :shock:
Nope, the game uses graphic files containing all possible elevation variations so typically a mod only needs to replace a handful of images ;)
Again, many thanks & brilliant.
I know this is 'pushing it' :o but can you, or anyone so inclined, tell me......How is this actually done physically in a game ? In the Editor ??? I truly have no idea and any pointers, as opposed to a full blown tutorial, will be investigated and followed up. :shock:
chrisperleberg

Post by chrisperleberg »

I should have clarified. This mod is just three modified files found in the Map folder: 2DGround25.bmp, 2DGround50.bmp, and 2DGround100.bmp. As mentioned above, they are utterly irrelevant to actual game play.

I use JSGME (Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler) to swap the mod in and out while keeping the original configuration intcat.