Napoleonic Battles Classic

Forum to share all game modifications
Ferro

Napoleonic Battles Classic

Post by Ferro »

NBC Banner.jpg

After reviewing previously-released versions of the games, I decided to convert and update some of the old Map folder assets, primarily 2D and 3D ground tiles, with an eye toward providing enhanced contrast for those users who desire it. This mod is compatible with all titles, simply backup your Map folder, and drop into your main game directory, overwriting all conflicts. Example destination: C:\WDS\Campaign Waterloo.

The current standard 2DGround texture is preserved throughout:
mod.png
mod.png (70.42 KiB) Viewed 2312 times

It is designed to be played with Contour Lines OFF in 2D, and ON in 3D. Toggle with "[" key.

Hope you all enjoy!

Download:
NBC.zip
(6.56 MiB) Downloaded 1 time

Screenshots: (Click to enlarge)
2D50.png
2D100.png
2D200.png
3D50.png
3D100.png
Last edited by Ferro on Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.
WDS Graphics Coordinator, Pre-1900 Series
Carlos

Re: Napoleonic Battles Classic

Post by Carlos »

Great! Nice contrast, and not too garish.
WDS Support
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

Brilliant, very original and fantastic contrast. The colors blend and represent the terrain amazingly well and not at all garish whilst still retaining clarity. Is this mod only compatible with the Napoleonic Battles series games ? I tried it with the CWB demo but got very mixed results.
Ferro

Post by Ferro »

This will be compatible with Musket and Pike as well, because that series also uses the same file structure. As for Civil War Battles, the 3DGround is compatible, however the 2DGround tiles setup is different and would require conversion. Some other items like 2DHexSides aren't 1 for 1 either, but are a little more simple to convert.
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

Ferro wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:58 am This will be compatible with Musket and Pike as well, because that series also uses the same file structure. As for Civil War Battles, the 3DGround is compatible, however the 2DGround tiles setup is different and would require conversion. Some other items like 2DHexSides aren't 1 for 1 either, but are a little more simple to convert.
The 3DGround displayed in the CWB Demo but not clearly and unit icons did not display. The 2DGround was a jumble of colors, unreadable and playable. I upgraded my copy of 'The Final Struggle' NWS, from the WDS Store to the latest version and ran the map assets. It refused to open the game and threw me back to the WDS Menu Program. I love the colors and textures in the Map Assets as provided and displayed here, but I'm lost !
Ferro

Post by Ferro »

I'm sorry to hear that. This mod is not made for Civil War Battles, and should not be used with that series as your result will not be as shown in the screenshots above.

Regarding the NB demo not working correctly, I am not sure why that is happening. It utilizes the same file structure as the main NB games. Did you make a backup of the \Map folder? Try restoring and launching the demo again to ensure there is nothing else corrupted in the installation.
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

Understood. I didn't expect it to run with the CWB series but thought to give it a try anyway.
I did backup the \Map folder and restored it after my failed attempt with the mod and the demo ran perfectly fine.
Ya win some ya lose some !
Thanks
Ferro

Post by Ferro »

You would be able to port over a few things like road types, but they need to be renamed to that series' conventions. If I find the time at some point I may make a version for CWB.
skc

Post by skc »

Have tried it today during an ongoing PBEM Scenario and like it. Very colorful and seems to show the elevations well. Many thanks for your hard work. It also works fine with JSGME. (I'm always trying this and that...My old eyes! JSGME makes it easy to do this.)
Ferro

Post by Ferro »

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you like it. There will be tweaks to it here and there so check back every so often.