Column Movement Restriction

Forum for the Napoleonic Battles games series
John Roddy

Re: Column Movement Restriction

Post by John Roddy »

If it is desired that columns moving in a forest be disordered, that could be made to work by coupling that with columns having no ability to recover disorder in forests. That would remove the problem I have with the artificial situation I described giving unhistorical advantage to the defender. So, optimally, expanding the optional rule effects to also prevent columns in forests from recovering disorder would remove most of what I take exception to and I would most certainly consider use of that option more favorably and be eager to experiment with it to see how it works in practice. There might then need to be some consideration given at that point as to whether the movement point cost for disordered columns in forests should remain as low as it is now.

Were this option coupled with requiring all columns, except maybe light infantry, to be disordered in forest hexes, I would most definitely consider use of this option.
Last edited by John Roddy on Tue May 16, 2023 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plain Ian

Post by Plain Ian »

John Roddy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:11 pm If it is desired that columns moving in a forest be disordered, that could be made to work by coupling that with columns having no ability to recover disorder in forests. That would remove the problem I have with the artificial situation I described giving unhistorical advantage to the defender. So, optimally, expanding the optional rule effects to also prevent column in forests from recovering disorder would remove most of what I take exception to and I would most certainly consider use of that option more favorably and be eager to experiment with it to see how it works in practice. There might then need to be some consideration given at that point as to whether the movement point cost for disordered columns in forests should remain as low as it is now.

Were this option coupled with requiring all columns, except maybe light infantry, to be disordered in forest hexes, I would most definitely consider use of this option.
Well 4.06 now allows Line units in obstructed terrain which includes woods to recover from disorder if they make the usual recovery die roll. So I can't see them changing Columns to do the opposite.

I'm playing Quatre Bras with the rule and I've no intention of fighting in the woods' I'll just fight where I can deploy using the hedges and villages as best as I can.
John Roddy

Post by John Roddy »

Well yes, I most certainly should have gone into the necessity of a conforming change to treat lines in forests the same as columns.