Squad Battles series is done!!???

Forum for the Squad Battles games series
TheGrayMouser

Re: Squad Battles series is done!!???

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Strela wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:40 pm It was done under John Tiller Software, it is definitely not done under Wargame Design Studio…

We have lots of plans for Squad Battles.
Good to hear, if you can eventually have mounted cavalry work properly, the skies the limit for skirmish size games in eras not covered: polish soviet war, whites vs reds , even conflicts in the late 1800’s prairies!
SquadBattler

Post by SquadBattler »

Strela wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:40 pm It was done under John Tiller Software, it is definitely not done under Wargame Design Studio…

This is really great news! Squad Battles changed my perception of wargaming, and now I can't really enjoy anything else :lol:
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

TheGrayMouser wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:38 pm

Good to hear, if you can eventually have mounted cavalry work properly, the skies the limit for skirmish size games in eras not covered: polish soviet war, whites vs reds , even conflicts in the late 1800’s prairies!
On the potential for modding Squad Battles (SB) for later 19th century conflicts I am sure this is true, but it’s worth remembering that at the same time that JTS released the map editor for SB that they also did so for the “Early American Wars” (EAW) series which at 125 feet to the hex has pretty much the same ground scale. With this game you can only have a maximum of 26 different weapon types in a given scenario (but hay what is JSGME for) and you have less potential flexibility over the variety of 2D unit counters than you do with Squad Battles.

However if you were to replace the 3D images in the 3Dunits files in the map folder with 3D counter blocks like those used in the Panzer Battles and Great War Battles games while you would end up with relatively small counters you could put pretty much anything you wanted on them and have a wide variation between counters.

The EAW is also better at modelling cavalry (although apparently not as good as the WDS Musket & Pike and the Napoleonic games series ) it allows cavalry to dismount and gives the ability to infantry to change formations between column, line and (where appropriate) skirmish order.

Also if you changed the EAW ground scale per hex from 125 feet to 125 yards the games engine might work quite will for anything from say the Crimean War to the Spanish American War. EAW is also set up to cope with black powder weapons while Squad battles is not. Finally at some point in the near future we are going to get the little Bighorn demo which will have a weapons set 25 years on from the Mexican American War. This might work quite well as a starting point and with a little tweaking for conflicts like say the Russo Turkish War of 1877-78, the 1st Boar War and the 2nd Afghan War.

BTW I totally agree with you about the way cavalry are dealt with in Squad Battles needing improvement as I would like this for the mod I am working on.

Kind regards
Ian
AWNT

Post by AWNT »

Did you get the face mod I made for RV? May help you fill in some of those gaps.

I also have a box mod which you maybe interested in seeing and making better.

I've emailed support with the face mods again and the box mod.:) Hope they help out.