Hex Info Screen Truncated

Forum to share all game modifications
Steve_R.

Hex Info Screen Truncated

Post by Steve_R. »

In the Shiloh Campaign series, one scenario is "#02 Belmont" the description reads: "Units with a "B" to the right of their MPs have boats", I can't see the "B" as shown in the image below. The other person that I am playing with is able to see the "B". In the attached image, the "B" has been truncated, so that it is not visible. Whether a solution can be found or is otherwise available is an unknown for a couple of reasons. (Moving the Hex Info Screen other screen locations: bottom, top, and right did not resolve this issue.)
  • Development of the Civil Was series has come to an end (except for minor fixes) so fixing this minor issue may not be worth it due to its limited nature.
  • My situation may also be unique precluding any easy fix. I'm playing the game under Linux by using Bottles Additionally, I am using a monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440. The WDS Civil War games may have been designed for the older resolution of 1920x1080 with "window sizing" not being adaptable to a higher resolution.
UnitInfo.png
UnitInfo.png (134.19 KiB) Viewed 747 times
rahamy

Re: Hex Info Screen Truncated

Post by rahamy »

Similar issues arise when people have their Scaling set to higher than 100%.

By every report I have heard the games run fine on higher resolutions...all depends on your eye sight and what works for you.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

It would be worth checking what scaling (if any) has been applied to your monitor.

This is a screenshot from my monitor 3840x2160 with scaling at 150%:

Screenshot 2023-06-23 083148.png
Screenshot 2023-06-23 083148.png (380.09 KiB) Viewed 724 times

The screen real estate is tight but the text is all visible.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
zovs

Post by zovs »

Steve_R. wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:13 pm In the Shiloh Campaign series, one scenario is "#02 Belmont" the description reads: "Units with a "B" to the right of their MPs have boats", I can't see the "B" as shown in the image below. The other person that I am playing with is able to see the "B". In the attached image, the "B" has been truncated, so that it is not visible. Whether a solution can be found or is otherwise available is an unknown for a couple of reasons. (Moving the Hex Info Screen other screen locations: bottom, top, and right did not resolve this issue.)
  • Development of the Civil Was series has come to an end (except for minor fixes) so fixing this minor issue may not be worth it due to its limited nature.
  • My situation may also be unique precluding any easy fix. I'm playing the game under Linux by using Bottles Additionally, I am using a monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440. The WDS Civil War games may have been designed for the older resolution of 1920x1080 with "window sizing" not being adaptable to a higher resolution.
UnitInfo.png
I use the same exact resolution as you do (2560 x 1440) and my scaling is set to 100% (or normal).

No issues:

Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
zovs

Post by zovs »

Here it is flipped to the left (with the correct units).

You have to turn off any 200%/400%/600% scaling. Plus your performance will be much much better.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Steve_R.

Post by Steve_R. »

Solved. Thanks to everyone for responding.

The responses provided the clues for figuring this out. The solution was in setting the appropriate resolution in dpi under Bottles.
  • Screen resolution in Linux was set to 100%.
  • The Nvidia graphics card reported that the resolution was 108dpi for my screen.
  • Under Bottles, there is an additional graphic setting that is buried deep in the menu structure.
    bottles -> settings -> advanced display settings -> screen scaling
  • With the Bottles screen scale setting at the expected 108dpi, the "B" is truncated.
  • When setting the Bottles screen setting to 97dpi, the "B" becomes visible. Anything higher and the "B" disappears. Setting the Bottles resolution to below 98dpi, the "B" becomes visible. Surprising?!?!