Engine features wishlist

Forum for the Modern Air Power games series
count_fuzzball

Engine features wishlist

Post by count_fuzzball »

Focusing solely on engine level changes in this thread:

Primarily I'd like to see a more granular zoom level so we can get right above the planes themselves in terms of how far we can zoom in, like in Naval Campaigns.
For me, personally, the max zoom level right now is more of a 'medium' style, would like to get in closer.
Dion

Re: Engine features wishlist

Post by Dion »

Ya, both Modern Air Power and Naval Campaigns should take advantage of graphical upgrades that includes extra zoom levels.
Hawk27

Post by Hawk27 »

There are different ways to go about a solution for that, but there's a bootleg one already: MAP's map (pun intended) can be scaled to anything, which means max zoom could conceivably be extremely close-up. Beqaa Valley in WOM, for instance, has a much smaller scale than any other currently out there. The problem is how the underlying code works: Every pixel of the map has to be accounted for as belonging to land/sea/red/blue/neutral, and so there's an upper limit for the size of the picture and thus the quality of the image when you zoom in. Would you still want ultra-zoom if the map was a smudge? Bearing in mind that the more you zoom, the more detail, the more complexity, etc. Games like CMO pay services like Google tons of money to re-use satellite imagery, but that's not really on the table as far as I'm aware.
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

Dion wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:40 pm ...Naval Campaigns should take advantage of graphical upgrades that includes extra zoom levels.
Naval Campaigns already has extra zoom levels.
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer