How hard to push as the Soviets in Danube front?

Forum for the Modern Campaigns games series
Lethal2615

Re: How hard to push as the Soviets in Danube front?

Post by Lethal2615 »

I have played this a good number of times as WP and are yet to exit a unit off the map! So my strategy is not quite accurate to date, however ...

So far, I discover the NATO units in Mellerichstadt by Recon Units one way or another! Then I Persistent Chemical the Northern hex and Non-Persistent the Southern Mellerichstadt hex. I try not to Rubble the southern city hex but not always possible. The advantage of Chemicals is the defenders are immediately Disrupted. I have had very mixed results of the Non-Persistent clearing, sometimes one turn and others it was still present at the end of the scenario. Use the Specials on Top tool. When attacking/assaulting the southern hex leave a hex clear behind it so they can retreat. Once the unit is out of the Town hex it is easier to eliminate/push out of the way.

Avoid stacking more than 2 units in a hex (impossible to not do it, but minimize), NATO/AI use nuclear strikes very well! I remember losing close to 800 troops in one attack while I was preparing for an assault!

Use your first WP Engineer unit to clear a minefield hex to the east of M..stadt to clear a path so the ATG can join the push west.

The helicopter unit is for chasing around the HQ contacts that you get in the turn report.

Artillery units that are unavailable must move, if they are not firing they should be moving.

The artillery mines are a bit of an issue. They are (I think) for slowing down the NATO reinforcements coming from the north. Need to get eligible arty units forward so they are in range of probable choke points. I use the northern WP reinforcements to move across to the south of hill 942 in an effort to intercept NATO.

The real challenge is to get fast access to the exit point. I can generally get to Hammelburg but defeating the defenders and getting off-map is a bridge too far! My best is finishing one-hex from the exit.

Hope this helps - good luck, it is a good challenge!