Map Design

Forum to share all game modifications
Jeffro

Map Design

Post by Jeffro »

At the risk of sounding like a complete moron, is it possible to create a new map for a different plot of land ? Would it be possible to say create a map for the Greco-Albanian border area?
PaulSan

Re: Map Design

Post by PaulSan »

If you are capable of reverse engineering what makes up a map, then I am guessing 'yes'. I looked into how maps are made a couple of years ago, but didn't fully figure it out. I will say that it seemed to be fairly straightforward.

If your reverse engineering skills aren't up to it, you'll need a map editor, which I don't think exists.

I quit working on it because it was a lot of effort that I didn't want to waste on something that I really wasn't going to use. I mainly would look at map anomalies to see if I had a handle on what was going on in the world of maps.

If WDS wants to release a map editor, then they will do it.
Jeffro

Post by Jeffro »

gotcha amigo.thanks
Markus Gattringer

Post by Markus Gattringer »

I have done the reverse engineering, at least for MC. I can change the maps, create new ones, and migrate them between games with everything working successfully. I had planned to create a map in a similar fashion as I did with TOAW IV, by using QGIS and exporting the data.

I would suppose that you still need a map editor; or at least heavy scripting. Working directly in the file and recomputing the checksums is not really something you want to do by hand.