Good Books on the M&P Era

Forum for the Musket & Pike games series
Squadman45

Re: Good Books on the M&P Era

Post by Squadman45 »

I buy 3 books of William P. Guthrie about the battles in TYW, at least in my language the edicion come in 3 books but i think in english are divided in 2 books.

Reading the first one covering the battles in Germany 1618-1635 and looks like a good reference to the battles in the war.

For the war i have in ready to read Peter H. Wilson books... and another one centered in spanish tercios from Pavia to Rocroi BUT i think is only avaliable in spanish.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

GMcClellan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:02 pm
Grim.Reaper wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:02 pm
GMcClellan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:29 pm William Guthrie has a 2 volume set where each battle gets a full chapter. That said, they are exceedingly spendy. I don't have them, so can't speak to them, but they're out there.
Those sound like what I was after, but your right they are cost prohibitive for me at $100+ per volume:(
Interlibrary Loan perchance?
Not sure, I haven't been in a library probably in 20 years so have no idea how things work:)
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Squadman45 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:07 pm I buy 3 books of William P. Guthrie about the battles in TYW, at least in my language the edicion come in 3 books but i think in english are divided in 2 books.

Reading the first one covering the battles in Germany 1618-1635 and looks like a good reference to the battles in the war.

For the war i have in ready to read Peter H. Wilson books... and another one centered in spanish tercios from Pavia to Rocroi BUT i think is only avaliable in spanish.
Thanks, certainly seems like some good books, just a little tough for me to spend $200+ on them at the moment, maybe some day....
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

There is also a 3rd Volume "Actions of the 30 Year War" by the same author that is still in print and published by Caliver Books in the UK. Covers the war in Italy, Eastern Europe and the fighting in Flanders and Catalonia (put not Portugal) after 1648. It costs slightly less than the other 2 and is easier to get hold of.
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Also just spotted that volumes I and II are out on Kendell at £56 each. Still a lot I know but less then in hardback. Believe me they are worth it.