Cold War Squad Battles

Forum for the Modern Campaigns games series
Bill-Peters

Re: Cold War Squad Battles

Post by Bill-Peters »

Mods would be a good thing. Folks used to build those. The Squad Battles series map editor is available. The maps are not hard to make. The OB files are not that difficult either and neither are the PDT files.

I happen to have a complete set of digital topo maps for Germany. I can make a Squad Battles map for any part of it. I have thought of making some "Patton's March on Berlin" scenarios. I used those same maps for the Leipzig, Jena-Auerstaedt, Austerlitz and Bautzen games. (not Eckmuhl - I actually used paper topo maps ....). The same maps can be zoomed in to be used for overlays for a Squad Battles game. The maps are circa 1990s or later so some of it is newer than the 1970s. But you get the idea. Most of the countryside is still the same as then.

WDS only has so many people/teams that they can manage. In moving over to being just a map maker I actually freed up David Freer's time, in part, so that he could be able to work with Dani and the other Panzer Campaigns Team members (and more). So unless they hired a manager, the pace they are setting is what you can expect.

I MUCH prefer a QUALITY product over mass production. Avalon Hill was good for that. SPI was not. An SPI game usually was followed by a sheet of errata. I loved their products but you just knew that they have to shove the games out the door in order to stay in business.

A Scandanavian Squad Battles is no where near as needed as a NATO-VS-WARSAW PACT series of games. Again, probably a good title for a mod but sales would be low for it as a retail product. Get together with some guys and put out a MOD on it. There are colorization products out there that could take B&W photos of the soldiers and render them in color. Or just borrow them for books. Since a MOD is not a retail product I do not think its a copyright infringement or just note in your design notes where you got your images.

But really, we all have pet projects we would like to see made into a game but there just isnt enough supervisors/managers with WDS to make it happen. Include the fact that each game needs an update and that loads down Rich and David with more work as more titles are cranked out.

WDS is the only computer game company I know that updates ALL of their products. There are no games "put out to pasture" here. Eventually that probably SHOULD happen but for those of us loving the newer Napoleonic Battles graphics well .... ;) :lol:

FYI: I got into this business because I made a "Battle of Wagram (1809) Mod" using Talonsoft's Battleground title "Napoleon in Russia." The mod was actually never released to the public but that is beside that point. I got the work finished and presented it to John Tiller. He liked it and well here we are.
Sunbather

Post by Sunbather »

I urge everyone to download "Red Star Over Europe" and download the current version of SB Vietnam now. The website where you can find RSoE goes down at the end of the year and SB Vietnam will get updated eventually and the mod won't work with the new version.

Red Star over Europe is one of the best mods I have ever played. Believable scenarios, everything tuned so that it works on a Squad Battle scale. New graphics AND sounds for almost everything. And the inner workings (stats, armor penetration etc.) seem to be coherent and realistic as well.

Here's the link to Task Force Echo 4:

https://tfe4.wordpress.com/graphics-and-sound-mods/

(You have to download the "Iron X Game Mods" folder.)
dudalb

Post by dudalb »

We also need a couple of Squad Battle games on the Mideast wars.
Ashcloud

Post by Ashcloud »

dudalb wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:33 pm We also need a couple of Squad Battle games on the Mideast wars.
There is the Arab-Israeli Wars mod - also in the IronX folder.
Dion

Post by Dion »

dudalb wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:33 pm We also need a couple of Squad Battle games on the Mideast wars.
There are currently two titles, Soviet-Afghan War and Modern War.

I played Soviet-Afghan War it's hard, real hard. The Mujahideen is dug in, in prepared positions all along the hills. Tunnel networks provide excellent enfilade and defilade fields of fire.

This just may be the greatest title for AI play, considering the tunnel network of dug in positions and enfilade and defilade fields of fire. If the AI is the Mujahideen, good luck, you'll need it.
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

Dion wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:19 pm
There are currently two titles, Soviet-Afghan War and Modern War.

I played Soviet-Afghan War it's hard, real hard. The Mujahideen is dug in, in prepared positions all along the hills. Tunnel networks provide excellent enfilade and defilade fields of fire.

This just may be the greatest title for AI play, considering the tunnel network of dug in positions and enfilade and defilade fields of fire. If the AI is the Mujahideen, good luck, you'll need it.
I would have purchased both SB Modern War and SB Soviet-Afghan War if they had had the 3D view. When the day comes, and they get the updatetreatment the Second World War titles have been getting adding 3D vies I will buy them both. But not before.