CWB Optional Rule Changes

Forum for the Civil War Battles games series
Dion

Re: CWB Optional Rule Changes

Post by Dion »

Quaama wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:30 am Is there any further update on the way this is heading?

I ask because I'm worried about where this might be heading. A number of people have asked that 'Mixed Organization Penalty' (MOP) be made default. Why? I do not know because no real reasons were given. That is a very odd rule that should, in the interests of simulation, be removed. As I said before:
By checking MOP then 'mixing' units you are lowering the morale of 'offending' units by 1/6 (16.67%). I don't know of any historical instance where a unit's morale plummeted down from 100% to 83% in a twenty-minute period merely because another friendly unit from outside their brigade came within the same 125 square yard area as them. It just doesn't make any sense.

Can anyone present any significant historical justification for such a thing?
Other than bigotry, I can't think of any reason why it would be default. Remember bigotry doesn't have to be racially based, it could be class based. I believe bigotry would be hypothetical not historical, so I'm with you, I say remove it completely or leave it as an option.
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Clarification in terms:

Default = means that when the Default button on the OR Dialog is selected then a certain group of Rules are selected for use. These also are in effect for a completely new install on a new computer. However, these can be changed by the player at the start of any scenario as they desire. If the game has already been run on the computer and a clean install is done, the values still reside in the registry - and so the last rule set the player selected will still be in use.

Hard Coded = means the option to alter the setting has been removed completely and is now the way the game operates all the time.

----------------

Mixed Organization Penalty is now a Default rule and will be with the next roll out.

Further changes:

Disrupted Movement has been changed from 1/2 to 2/3 which puts it in alignment with the various other series of games that represent this style of warfare. This is now Hard Coded and the "Higher Disrupted Movement" OR has been removed.

The following four rules have also been hard coded, but with no alteration to how they impact game play.

- Mounted Cavalry Skirmishers
- Bridge Limit and Repairing
- Artillery Retire By Prolonge
- Artillery Ammo by Cannon

--------------

We do not have any plans to make further changes along these lines in the future.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Quaama

Post by Quaama »

rahamy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:55 am Clarification in terms:

Default = means that when the Default button on the OR Dialog is selected then a certain group of Rules are selected for use. These also are in effect for a completely new install on a new computer. However, these can be changed by the player at the start of any scenario as they desire. If the game has already been run on the computer and a clean install is done, the values still reside in the registry - and so the last rule set the player selected will still be in use.

Hard Coded = means the option to alter the setting has been removed completely and is now the way the game operates all the time.

----------------

Mixed Organization Penalty is now a Default rule and will be with the next roll out.

Further changes:

Disrupted Movement has been changed from 1/2 to 2/3 which puts it in alignment with the various other series of games that represent this style of warfare. This is now Hard Coded and the "Higher Disrupted Movement" OR has been removed.

The following four rules have also been hard coded, but with no alteration to how they impact game play.

- Mounted Cavalry Skirmishers
- Bridge Limit and Repairing
- Artillery Retire By Prolonge
- Artillery Ammo by Cannon

--------------

We do not have any plans to make further changes along these lines in the future.
I was using "default" in line with the initial post to this thread where it was said [my emphasis] " For this reason we are seriously considering removing several of these OR's in the next major release, making them default behavior." I, and many others given the responses, had taken 'default' as meaning built into the games and thus removed as Optional Rules.

I have no issue with the four listed as intended to be 'hard-coded' into the games.
[Mounted Cavalry Skirmishers is somewhat problematic due to a recent change (v4.03 and beyond) that biases the games against the side with smaller cavalry units. Other changes to do with LoS have made the games less reliant on cavalry being used in their historical scouting role.]