Japan '46 AAR - Bring on the Marines!

Forum to share your glorious wins and losses
Hunter9502

Japan '46 AAR - Bring on the Marines!

Post by Hunter9502 »

Introduction

Hello everyone, I decided a little over a month ago to revisit Japan '46 and start a new campaign, partly inspired by unonimus's AAR, which I recommend checking out. The last time I had played was back before the changes were made to Japanese hard attack values and default rules, so I wanted to take a look for myself at how much things had changed. Having noticed the "Bring on the Marines!" variant, I decided to also make this a test of how differently things would progress if the Marines replaced the infantry at the eastern side of Sagami/Lamour Beach.

Besides using the variant scenario the default optional rules were used, no advantage on the slider was given to either me or the AI, and fog of war was turned on.

I did not originally start off with an AAR in mind but eventually I decided it might be interesting to make an AAR out of this campaign considering the use of the variant scenario, and also so that people can have more reference points for their own campaign progress. I made maps and saved victory screens to track my progress every 10 turns, for the beginning of each day, with the screenshots taken at the start of the 0400 turn to maximize visibility of Japanese units. Inspired by KAriel's Japan '45 AAR I turned these images into .gif form, which will be shown later in this post. From now on I plan to make a new progress .gif every 50 turns, with the next being on turn 100. Highlights were extrapolated from images I had sent to friends on Discord, but in the future I will try to do a better job of taking screenshots of important points throughout each day.

As of writing this post I have made it to turn 60, and having just hit 100,000 Japanese casualties I decided it'd be a good point to start the AAR. From now on I will make a new post after finishing a day. I don't play this on a completely consistent schedule, so I'm not sure when this campaign will be finished up, but I plan on sticking it out all 608 turns unless I already have achieved a clear victory before then.

Objective

Japan '46 covers the hypothetical Operation Coronet, a phase of the planned Allied invasion of Japan termed Operation Downfall. Coronet entailed the capture of Tokyo and the expansive, fertile and populous Kantō Plain. This would have followed Operation Olympic in 1945, which encompassed the invasion of Southern Kyushu and capture of airfields and port facilities necessary for Coronet. That campaign is in the scope of Japan '45.

Unlike the rough terrain faced in Kyushu the area around Tokyo is predominately flat and open. This may seem like a dream for American tanks, but their progress will be impeded by rice fields, which force travel along roads. This is why the two armored divisions will be deployed on the western approach to Tokyo, where far fewer rice fields are present. Airpower, particularly carpet bombers, are available in great numbers, which will be a great asset.

There are 608 turns allotted to this campaign, spanning from 0600 on March 1st (Y-Day) to the end of April 30th. There is little pressure to make rapid progress, which means units can be regularly rested and replenished. Furthermore, a total of 28 divisions will be on the field by the end of the campaign, on top of an independent paratrooper regiment and numerous corps and army level assets. Manpower will not be a problem. However, considering the limited availability of forces initially it will be necessary to manage casualties, and to avoid a slog down the line it will be important to destroy Japanese formations, rather than allow them to escape and reconstitute.

Landing Forces

Each beach initially receives two corps with two divisions each, for a total of four divisions on each beach and eight divisions in total. At first only engineers and some supporting armor are landed to clear as many mines as possible, and then afterwards each division lands with two infantry regiments. Later on the first day each division gets a reinforcing infantry regiment, along with numerous supporting assets like artillery and armor.

8th Army - Sagami Beach

The 8th Army takes the western flank of Tokyo and is the best positioned to take the city, but it also faces the best fortifications and is flanked by the Miura Peninsula, which contains the fearsome Japanese marines and elite infantry.

V Marine Amphibious Corps - Eastern Side:
  • 3rd Marine Division - Left Side
  • 5th Marine Division - Right Side
In the variant scenario the V Marine Corps replaces XIV Corps, which would have been landing with the 6th and 32nd Infantry Division. They take the eastern side of Sagami Beach, and are immediately tasked with establishing a beachhead and capturing Fujisawa and other towns near the beach. Eventually they will be breaking out towards Yokohama, clearing the heavily fortified Miura Peninsula, and joining the push towards Tokyo later.

X Corps - Western Side:
  • 24th Infantry Division - Left Side
  • 31st Infantry Division - Right Side
X Corps is tasked with establishing a bridgehead, capturing Hiratsuka, and then breaking out west and north, with the ultimate purpose of covering the flank of V Marine Corps. They are divided from V Marine Corps by the Sagami Sen, a river in the middle of the beach, and this will remain the dividing line for a while.

1st Army - Kujukuri Beach

The 1st Army takes the eastern flank of Tokyo. Their approach is impeded greatly by rice fields and forests, and they also must cover a very wide front. However, the forces they face are generally weaker, at least initially. Their northern flank is also covered by Marines, which will make easy work of Japanese reservists. Considering the Arakawa Canal and the rivers around the eastern approach to Tokyo I doubt the 1st Army will have an easy time getting into the city.

III Marine Amphibious Corps - Northern Side:
  • 4th Marine Division - Top Side
  • 1st Marine Division - Bottom Side
The III Marine Corps takes the northern end of Kujukuri Beach. After establishing a beachhead they will be tasked with advancing northwards and westwards, trying to avoid getting bogged down in the rice fields. They will face most of the Japanese counterattacks, but until the elite infantry arrive there is nothing that can pose a serious threat.

XXIV Corps - Southern Side:
  • 27th Infantry Division - Top Side
  • 7th Infantry Division - Bottom Side
XXIV Corps takes the southern end, facing the Bōsō Peninsula. They will face counterattacks from Hayworth Beach and from inland, but with sufficient artillery support they will be fine. Eventually they will need to clear out the peninsula and take out the coastal batteries, and then join the push towards Tokyo and the Plain. However, given how difficult of a fight I expect Tokyo to be I will not be using them for the urban battles.

Progress (Turn 1-100)

Note: Solo victory conditions differ from the PBEM victory conditions included in the scenario. These solo conditions are included in one of the manuals. For this variant 31,000 points is a major defeat, 36,000 is a minor defeat, 41,000 is a minor victory, and 46,000 is a major victory.

March 1st - Turn 1-10

Full Map
(apologies for the compression, Imgur did that, not me)

This is where it all begins. Before landing anything I start off with a massive bombardment by all of my naval artillery assets. Most important are the LCTs, which have a devastating 405 soft attack and 60 hard attack, and get to fire twice. I shoot bunkers sparingly as even with these bad boys I know little damage will be dealt. One shot with an LCT can easily kill 50 or more men in a trench, and I want as little resistance on the beach as possible. There is a tendency for the Japanese to counterbattery, so 10 are lost. However, as they are single use units they disappear anyway after the 1st turn is over. 2,416 Japanese soldiers and 32 guns are killed before a single American hit the beach, and almost all of the Japanese infantry are disrupted, some are broken, and one was even wiped out.

Afterwards the first wave lands, consisting of engineers, which will attempt to clear the mines in an effort to avoid casualties in the next wave. With the first turn processed the infantry can now arrive. A number of engineers are disrupted and thus unable to clear mines, and despite the bombardment they still sustain many casualties due to the 200% terrain modifier on beaches. However, there is no time for delay, so all the infantry are landed regardless of if they will sustain mine casualties or not. Since the mines are only level 1 they are more of a nuisance than a real threat.

Sagami Beach

Sagami is a tough fight that relies on some luck to get a good position, particularly on the eastern side. Thankfully the Marines help to equalize the playing field. A big threat is posed by the bunker near Kamakura, which could seriously impede my progress if not taken quickly. The Japanese are a fanatical nation, so their troops in bunkers are highly resilient and cannot be forced to retreat. They will fight only to the death. The big threat over here is the Japanese marines in the Miura Peninsula, and the worst case scenario would be one of them occupying the bunker.

Thankfully my Marines proved highly capable and managed to clear both the Hamatake and Kamakura bunker by the end of the first day. Additionally, a position was captured across the stream at Kamakura. The first counterattack by the Japanese marines was instead directed towards Fujisawa, but they were unable to prevent me capturing the town in its entirety. As seen later this will be a disastrous move for the Japanese, opening the way for rapid progress.

On the side that X Corps takes the immediate defenses on the beach are pretty light. My biggest concern is capturing Hiratsuka, which eludes me on the first day. Nonetheless, significant progress is made, which will open the way for its capture soon. There are two bunkers on the left side that the 24th Infantry Division will need to deal with. I make sure to shift units over so they can use their full might.

Kujukuri Beach

Kujukuri is not as tough but has a plethora of rice paddies impeding progress. There are also quite a few bunkers on the beach, which can prove difficult to deal with. To my surprise I was able to clear all of them by the end of the first day, with only the one at Jonouchi proving particularly hard to deal with.

The Marines in the north encounter a few inland bunkers, which will elude capture on the first day, impeding progress a bit. A couple units from the 4th Marine Division were sent north, clearing a couple beach objectives that were not adjacent to the initial landing zone. The infantry surprised me, as they were able to maintain a similar pace to the Marines, and the 7th Infantry Division was even able to take out a coastal battery to the south at Izumi. They will continue to do very well in the coming days.

Casualties

Already the Japanese are at quintuple digit casualties, but my losses are not insignificant, with a large amount being sustained from RNG losses upon landing. Breaking through the beaches is usually difficult, so this is not unexpected.

March 2nd - Turn 11-20

Full Map

This day has a lot to do with what I said about making sure to crush the Japanese rather than let them escape. You'll end up noticing a lot of encirclements this campaign, as I actively seek them out even at risk of my own troops. This will form a very large portion of the casualties I deal. As some may notice I do not tend to form cohesive fronts, but rather spread out to maximize chances of surrounding enemies. This does mean gaps will appear in my line sometimes, but I consider this a worthy risk.

With the beaches secured it is now all about advancing inland and on the flanks.

Sagami Beach

This is going to be a very critical day on the Sagami side, as things going well here could mean cutting off the Miura Peninsula and destroying the SNLF. The 5th Marine Division is fully oriented for this goal, while the 3rd Marine Division advances north and holds a wider front. This leaves a gap in the front in between them, but I am confident I could reorient to deal with any counterattack through there.

Having taken Fujisawa I push my advantage and despite attempts by the AI to withdraw they will be forced into a cauldron that will be closed. Inside are many Japanese marine units and a number of regular infantry, and this pocket will be liquidated by the end of the day. Though I am not quite sure just how many troops were inside because of fog of war, it had to of been at least 2,000 if not more.

The destruction of so many Japanese units collapses their front, leaving me to make generous advances eastwards. Yamanouchi and Kajigayacho are captured, but a decently sized group of Japanese appear to the north. I begin reorienting forces that were cleaning up the pocket, but the night turn delays things. These forces will include a unit of combat engineers with a peculiar set of stats. With 12 soft attack they deal up to 30 casualties with each shot when firing on exposed Japanese infantry, and they have the rare and possibly unintended A level morale, which no other American unit has.

On the western side of Sagami progress was good with the infantry as well, who finished up capturing Hiratsuka and managed to hold pace with the northward advance of the 3rd Marines. The 24th successfully cleared the bunker near Kozu and broke westwards towards Odawara and the river. The bunker at Kurowa was surrounded and proved to be the most difficult bunker to clear in this campaign so far, taking many assaults and the fatigue of many of my units.

Kujukuri Beach

At Kujukuri I make good progress too, with the Marines really starting to pull their own weight and prove that their stats matter, while the infantry still do very well. I do not stop to let the Japanese regroup, instead dashing for the objectives and ignoring the potential consequences.

The first real threat for the Marines comes at Togane, where the Japanese throw in a decently sized armored counterattack. By the end of this day their attack is only just developing, and I will still be dealing with it for most of the following day. I begin sending a regiment of the 1st Marines to flank the armor, but they will end up being diverted to instead grab objectives to the west. Meanwhile a pesky broken unit escapes encirclement and I have to chase them down with engineers and infantry.

Further to the south with XXIV Corps they make steady progress but really start to show signs of overextension, with a big gap lying between the 27th and 7th. I have at this point decided on an aggressive strategy clearly, which means the 27th will need to shadow the 1st Marine Division and make a push towards Urido and Yawata to cut the Boso Peninsula. The 7th meanwhile pushes into Chojamachi and envelops a large group of Japanese near Tennomae, who try but fail to escape. A group of Japanese are spotted near Toyohara, and the AI seems to have noticed the gap, as they will end up concentrating a counterattack through there.

Casualties

Losses are starting to turn disproportionate here, with the impact of carpet bombers and encirclements making itself known. It will get even more absurd with time.

March 3rd - Turn 21-30

Full Map

Sagami Beach

Rapid progress continues on this day on the Sagami side, with the Marines leading the charge. By the end of the day the Miura Peninsula is cut off and a shielding force is put in place while engineer units dash to eliminate coastal batteries and capture bunkers. The group of Japanese forces northwest of Kajigayacho that seemed mildly threatening yesterday are encircled and slowly destroyed, with the job unfinished by the end of this day. Generous advances are made by the 3rd Marines to the north after their pockets are cleared, and the front already begins to near the outskirts of Yokohama.

X Corps makes good progress too, destroying some Japanese armor and infantry near Funako and approaching the 400 point objective at Atsugi. Infantry are beginning to clear out the artillery positions in the hills near Minoge, and only Yanagi stands in the way of consolidating the western river line. Unexpectedly I was able to cross the river and capture Odawara on this day. After having surrounded and destroyed a Japanese infantry unit on the 50 point objective east of the bridge, I was able to travel mode a unit across the river and then capture the objective.

Kujukuri Beach

On this side the day for the Marines was spent encircling and mopping up the armored counterattack, which I unfortunately did not save good screenshots of, but I can say that the big flak guns you get are extremely useful for countering Japanese armor. By the middle of the day, shown in the screenshot below, I had been able to push deep to the west, capturing a set of bunkers near Noro and Jumanji along with many objective points. A unit of LVTs can be seen dashing northwest in travel mode, which will lead to their demise. However, their sacrifice will reveal an incoming armored counterattack, giving me time to dig in and prepare.

To the south the infantry are busy mopping up pockets and creating new ones, while a sizeable counterattack gets thrown at Chojamachi, which will force me to reel back after a brief attempt to advance further along the coast. Digging in, the Japanese will be repelled and dispersed by the end of the day, leaving my troops to rest for the night. Recon Greyhounds rush to capture Kariya, where they will be hounded for a while by counterattacks dispersed by artillery and planes. After sustaining heavy casualties they will be replaced by an AT gun battalion. Later they will be relieved by engineers. In the midst of all this the Japanese try to counterattack towards Hara, forcing a quick reaction with engineers and tanks to plug the gap.

The Japanese armored counterattack in the north is just approaching at this point.

Casualties

I was surprised to still be below 10,000 casualties by this point, though that will change by the end of the next day.

March 4th - Turn 31-40

Full Map

Sagami Beach

The Japanese finally began to show their teeth this turn, with the presumably newly unfixed Japanese marines now moving en masse to break out of the Miura Peninsula. I succeeded in capturing the bunker at Shimo-yamaguchi, but soon the overwhelming numbers of Japanese marines would force them out despite valiant efforts.

In the midst of this a gigantic stack of Japanese units appeared and I could not help but unleash the full power of my carpet bombers and artillery to decimate them. By the end of the slaughter they were left with only three of these units alive, two of them down to double digit strength.

Still, they continued to advance and by the end of the day I had been pushed back to the Hayama bunker and the 200 point bunker in the middle. The engineers in the Hayama bunker were briefly isolated as seen in the end of day screenshot, but I was able to liberate them. Incessant assaults would bring the engineers in the 200 point bunker to less than 40% strength, but like true American heroes they did not even fall into yellow levels of fatigue. Nonetheless, they had to be withdrawn to R&R, as I naturally did not wish to lose them. The line would stabilize at Zushi, as seen in the next day.

On the X Corps side things were not quite as exciting but the advance continued steadily northwards, just as the 3rd Marines continued their push and began the capture of the Shimomizo bunker. The 31st Infantry captured Atsugi and cleared out most of the artillery near Minoge, with the objective itself not quite falling yet. I used bridge engineers to quickly ferry troops across the river in the west to establish a cohesive bridgehead across, which will soon be expanded.

Kujukuri Beach

At this point I decided the line had been extended quite far and I should settle down into good defensive positions for the Marines, taking advantage of the bunkers that I had acquired without a fight. The Japanese armor arrived but my flak guns were able to shoot at them from 2 hexes away, so their attack will ultimately prove quite weak. Additionally, some army level armor can be seen arriving imminently, which I will use to mop up the rest of the Japanese tanks. The 4th Marines are sent to capture more land, particularly a 100 point bunker near the beach as well as the town of Tagoe. This coincides with a Japanese counterattack using troops that had presumably been stationed in the fortifications further north along the beach, but they will not fare well against my artillery.

The 27th is maintaining a wide front at this point, constricted even further when I decide to try to encircle a massive group of Japanese near Yokoyama. After some awkward movement I succeed, and though it might not be as much as what the Marines had surrounded at Fujisawa it comes very close. The rest of the division will cautiously proceed westwards to finish the plan of cutting off the Boso Peninsula. Meanwhile the 7th spends its time mopping up some broken Japanese troops and pushing further along the coast.

Casualties

At this point I am gaining a steady 1,500 or casualties per day on average, while the Japanese are losing 15,000+ per day, and this rate will increase even more drastically in the next two days.

March 5th - Turn 41-50

Full Map

My favorite part about coming out of night turns is seeing this:

They are unreliable, but I don't know where I'd be without them. God bless cluster bombs.

Sagami Beach

At the Miura Peninsula I have been pushed back to Zushi, but my engineers will be able to form a good defensive line, backed up by the arrival of flame tanks. Artillery and bombers will disperse the Japanese that try to advance further. Meanwhile Yokosuka is being cleared out, with a big group of Japanese forced into a pocket that will still be uncleared by the end of the next day. I have no intention of pushing further at this point, as I plan to use the reinforcing division to mop up the peninsula. Other elements of the 5th Marines focus on clearing Yokohama. A bunker and some bad low ammo RNG will impede progress. The 3rd Marines meanwhile establish some good defensive lines and throw off many counterattacks, all while capturing Shimomizo.

On the X Corps side the 31st Infantry surrounds a bunch of Japanese infantry and gradually destroys them, and consolidates defensive positions to the west and north. The 24th Infantry establishes a strong bridgehead across the river, digging in at the bridges along the river south of Yumoto. However, their overextension will render them a bit vulnerable to a counterattack at Uchiyamo. Despite my worries they managed to hold on, supported greatly by artillery and planes. Japanese infantry in travel mode start to move out of the Izu Peninsula along the coast and fall prey to my naval artillery.

Kujukuri Beach

Perhaps a bit ambitiously I continue the advance of the 4th Marines, but it will eventually pay off with the encirclement of a number of Japanese forces. Gaps that form will nonetheless give the Japanese opportunities to be annoying, but they will accomplish little more than that. A major threat however begins to appear in the west towards the 1st Marines. An elite Japanese division has arrived, and their fire is devastating. It is also extremely hard to keep them disrupted, and even when carpet bombers hit they deal shockingly little damage. However, they arrive just before my own reinforcements are due to arrive, so I only need to hold the line. Unfortunately some of my armor was poorly positioned and will pay a hard price. Though they accidentally succeeded in encircling some of the elite troops, which will lead to the destruction of an elite battalion and some Japanese tanks, an HQ armor unit and a unit of Chaffee's will find themselves fired upon en masse by AT and elite infantry, with the HQ broken and reduced to a single tank and the Chaffee's massively fatigued. They survive, but will have to R&R for a long time.

The XXIV Corps meanwhile grabs some more encirclements which will take some time to clear, and succeeds in cutting off the Boso Peninsula. However, in the process the 27th Infantry Division encounters a bunch of Japanese troops apparently trying to escape. My disregard for overextension will end up being quite annoying here. Thankfully by this point the Yokoyama pocket is nearly done with and a bunch of troops will be freed up afterwards. The 7th Infantry also advances further south haphazardly, but there is practically no resistance at this point that isn't broken.

Casualties

Though 12,250 of my own dead may not seem like much, remember that this is only after 5 days of fighting. These casualties are actually very weirdly similar to Okinawa, which had 12,500 Americans killed by the end. However, that was a nearly 3 months long battle, while this is only 5 days. That's 12,250 devastated families, not even considering Japanese losses, and it's not even close to over yet. It is a good reminder of how lucky we were to be able to avoid this bloodshed.

March 6th - Turn 51-60

Full Map

Sagami Beach

While moving a bit further north the 3rd Marines spotted this beauty, and I couldn't help but carpet bomb it. A couple hits wiped them out.

The 2nd Marine Division and 37th Infantry Division arrived this morning as the reinforcements for Sagami Beach. The next ones will not arrive until March 11th, which will be two armored divisions. The 2nd Marines are immediately sent to the Miura Peninsula as I had planned from the start, but they were not quite able to all get in position within the day. They begin moving south to clean up, while the 5th Marine elements in Yokosuka begin moving northward to Yokohama, which has been almost entirely captured by this point. A couple militia units continue to be an annoyance however.

On the X Corps side the 37th Infantry is moved to replace the northern positions of the 24th Infantry, while those elements of the 24th are moved southwards. The plan is to eventually begin moving southwards and westwards to clean up the Izu Peninsula and capture more objectives. A militia unit was discovered behind my lines near Odawara, so I've had to divert some forces for killing them.

Kujukuri Beach

The Japanese elite infantry begin attacking more coherently at this point, though they will still have troubles achieving much despite dealing respectable casualties. The arrival of the 6th Marine Division means I can reduce the area of responsibility for the 1st Marines and look towards destroying these elite troops. Afterwards I plan to capture Chiba. The 4th Marines continue advancing northwards and manage to surround some Japanese forces in Hashimoto, and also capture a 200 point objective.

The XXIV Corps is newly reinforced by the 96th Infantry, but rubble and terrain will greatly slow their movement to the front, where I intend to use them to help destroy the Japanese forces attempting to break out of the Boso Peninsula. For some reason one regiment will not arrive until the next morning. The 27th fails to prevent some troops from making it through my lines, which are being shadowed by my Greyhounds until infantry can come up to kill them. Other Japanese end up encircled near Umatose. The 7th maintains a steady advance southwards along the coast, mopping up some broken units. At this rate the Boso Peninsula will be cleared very soon, after which I will have to manage the arduous process of repositioning the whole corps to the north.

Casualties

At this point I broke 100,000 Japanese casualties, which felt like an appropriate time to reflect on the campaign in AAR form. Funnily enough this changed the outcome to a minor defeat, though as mentioned earlier the actual solo victory conditions are different.

Reflection

While there is still a lot more to go I think it's safe to say that the Marines do have an impact on the scenario. While some of the progress in Sagami East is RNG with the bunkers that could be achieved by infantry, I have little doubt that the SNLF would have been far bigger of an issue if I had not had my own Marines to counter them. I can guarantee that I would not have been able to cut off the Miura Peninsula so fast, and it is highly probable I would not yet be in Yokohama without them. However, I have been surprised by the progress achieved by X Corps, as well as the 1st Army at Kujukuri, which are all unaffected by the variant.

Thanks to all those who may have read some or all of this AAR. This took me a while to write up. As mentioned previously I plan on making a post for each day from now on.
Last edited by Hunter9502 on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:09 am, edited 7 times in total.
unonimus

Re: Japan '46 AAR - Bring on the Marines!

Post by unonimus »

Thank you.

Marines are definitely better than regular infantry even though they lack some assets that the infantry have. And yes, the actual difference you should show against the Japanese is the plane fleets, especially carpet bombers. I am too reluctant to use them if they are 2 hexes away from my troops or fewer.

For urban battles, it should (yes, should) be far too optimistic to completely occupy Tōkyō in the game's time frame. Even a 600-turn scenario shouldn't be enough.
Hunter9502

Post by Hunter9502 »

unonimus wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:28 pm Thank you.

Marines are definitely better than regular infantry even though they lack some assets that the infantry have. And yes, the actual difference you should show against the Japanese is the plane fleets, especially carpet bombers. I am too reluctant to use them if they are 2 hexes away from my troops or fewer.

For urban battles, it should (yes, should) be far too optimistic to completely occupy Tōkyō in the game's time frame. Even a 600-turn scenario shouldn't be enough.
I use all of my air power every turn including the carpet bombers. Only a couple times has my carpet bombers hit my own men, though it really hasn't done a lot of damage since I dig in a lot and tend not to stack units. Generally I target units in travel mode (napalm is even better for this), which usually aren't near the front anyway, or big stacks like those Japanese marines. I've been having oddly good luck with getting hits this campaign.

To be honest I haven't really been feeling the supposed disadvantages they mention in the scenario description. If you look in the OOB scenario there really isn't a difference in availability of artillery or tanks between the V Marine Corps and XIV Corps, and the LVTs you get are shockingly good fire support. Still, even if those disadvantages were there the better stats of the Marines vs regular infantry would make them worth the trade.

For the Tokyo battle I have some experience with the specific scenario for that although from before the balance changes, so even with the Marines at Sagami I still expect it to be a very difficult battle. Those gigantic militia units, the combat and movement modifiers from the urban terrain, and the endless fortifications will surely make it a slog. The Tokyo scenario makes it harder by positioning the infantry on the Kujukuri direction for the urban battle, with the Marines on the flanks, which probably makes logical sense but not from a gameplay perspective. That direction is very difficult to get in the city from, since crossing those bridges at the Arakawa Canal is next to impossible, and getting there in the first place means crossing the river by Ichikawa. I plan to use the III Marine Corps for that but I don't have high hopes, I expect the Sagami side will have to do most of the work. In real life I imagine the US would have nuked or carpet bombed the whole city ahead of time.
Hunter9502

Post by Hunter9502 »

It's been a while since I touched this save but I've been meaning to come back to it, with how far I've gotten it'd be a shame to stop. I powered through to turn 70 recently, so here's another post.

March 8th - Turn 61-70

Full Map

Sagami Beach

By this point the Japanese are really starting to lack any fighting power on this front. Resistance outside the Miura Peninsula is incredibly scattered and easily countered by my overwhelming advantage in artillery and airpower, combined with the incredible fighting power of the Marines. Still, I play a bit cautious because I don't know if anything else lies beyond, and I also want to have some time for understrength units to recover ahead of the push on Tokyo. The 3rd Marines do the bulk of the advances, mopping up some Japanese units and extending the line to Nogishi, Hara-machia and Kawawacho.

The 5th Marines end up spending most of the day slowly repositioning away from the Miura Peninsula and eliminating the large garrison units in Yokohama. They are finally wiped out right before the night turns begin, giving a little bit for recovery. After the heavy fighting in Miura the 5th Marines have taken quite a beating, with most battalions down to 75-80% strength and yellow fatigue. Before I send them into Kawasaki I intend to rest them as much as I can, by which time I will hopefully have the 2nd Marines freed up to support them.

A little bit of a threat does show itself. Although they've already shown themselves a bit prior there are increasingly elements of the elite 1st Tank Division and the 81st Division showing up in this area. Even with aerial reconnaissance I could not definitively tell how big of a threat this was, but I can say that they definitely were capable of damaging my Marines. Still, with the full force of airpower, artillery and my own tanks their tanks are seemingly wiped out by the end of the day, leaving only some strong infantry.

Down in the Miura Peninsula the SNLF is gradually being eliminated as a threat. Any hopes of them breaking out were dashed by the arrival of the fresh 2nd Marines, who set about reclaiming the lost bunkers and clearing the peninsula once and for all. They are supported by carpet bombers, with results such as those below. Even so, they are not completely incapable of dealing damage, and low ammo RNG really drags down my progress. Still, by the end of the day Yokosuka is cleared, and after many assaults the 200 point bunker in the middle of the front falls. Some very understrength Japanese marines try to hold the Hayama bunker but are wiped out. Meanwhile with resistance collapsing in the eastern side of the peninsula some Marines begin clearing out the coastal batteries and advance into the rear of the last remaining big group of resistance at Shimo-yamaguchi, cutting off retreat. This isn't really necessary though, since the vast majority of the remaining forces are down to double digits and broken by this point and are inflated only by headquarter units. It should be smooth sailing to clear out whatever remains in the coming day.

On the western side of the Sagami sector there's not a whole lot of note. Japanese forces trying to move northward are under constant barrage by my ships and artillery, while the newly arrived 37th Infantry slowly positions itself for an advance. Repositioning of the 24th Infantry was delayed for most of the day by the Japanese militia unit near Odawara, which was finally destroyed on turn 68. The 31st Infantry to the north advances into Miyakami and fends off some Japanese attacks. My plans for this sector are to start pushing southwards with the 24th and north and westwards with the 37th, eventually clearing out the Izu Peninsula and extending the line to the edges of the map around Mt Fuji. The overextended 31st Infantry will only be moved to shadow the advance of the Marines to the east.

Kujukuri Beach

On the Kujukuri front the Japanese really begin to amass a lot of troops against the 1st and 6th Marines. If I still had to hold this front solely with the 1st Marines I am not sure it would hold under the weight of the counterattack, which includes many large elite units. It is thankful that I am using Marines here and not infantry, as although it is a tough fight they can hold their weight fairly competently.

The best progress is seen in the area where the 6th Marines are deployed. With fresh strength and morale they force the Japanese back throughout the day and relieve the battered 1st Marines at Uchiamago. By the end of the day they advance to Iwatominachi and Kamaiko and have broken numerous elite Japanese infantry units from the 93rd Division. On the Chiba direction nothing is left in the way of their advance. The bulk of the remaining resistance is left concentrated between Iwatominachi and Yachimata. Writing this up I am now noticing that the elite units over here come from the 81st Infantry, which I also saw on the Sagami front, so I imagine they aren't actually that strong over there. I am not sure that is intended AI behavior to split up the division, but whatever the case they thankfully send most of their units against the largely unscathed 5th Regiment of the 1st Marines, which had been sitting idly guarding the flank. The other two regiments hold their weight in the middle near Sakae, but have gained a lot of fatigue and suffered significant losses. They advance very little but do liberally fire on the Japanese.

Near the beach the 4th Marines continue a slow and cautious advance on the flank. Although most Japanese resistance has been broken by naval artillery I do not want to overextend them, and my eventual plan is to redeploy the infantry divisions in the Boso Peninsula to this area, meaning the 4th will be moving westwards soon anyway. The coastal bunker at Imaizumihama is taken without a fight, while Yokoshiba is cleared. Afterwards units take up defensive positions, while the process of mopping up stragglers in Hashimoto continues.

In the south the 96th and 27th are still in the process of mopping up what seems to be the last resistance in the Boso Peninsula direction, short of some remaining coastal guns. The 7th surrounds a bunch of broken units and advances unopposed into Matsusaki. Since at this point I am confident clearing the peninsula will be a trivial task I begin moving the corps and army level assets northwards to where I plan to position the infantry later.

Casualties

Casualty rates remain incredibly disproportionate, with the Japanese gaining about 18-20,000 casualties per day on average.

Hunter9502

Post by Hunter9502 »

I recently went through the main post and updated all the overview images to have a standardized text style. The GIFs were updated too, and Turn 61-70 was added to them. I'll make new GIFs at Turn 100.

March 9th - Turn 71-80

Full Map

Sagami Beach

With Yokohama cleared of Japanese forces the 5th Marines are clear to begin a gradual advance into Kawasaki. This is where the first hints are seen of what is to come: militia units. These are 750 men strong at full strength, and their stats are not terrible. While I have fought these before they are absolutely everywhere in Tokyo and Kawasaki, so it's a whole different game. Thankfully I am fighting with Marines and not regular infantry, but that does not completely negate the slog that will be required to push through the city. A couple elite Japanese infantry battalions near Kozukuocho also hold up progress and deal significant damage to units that have largely already been pushed down to 70-80% strength, but through focused efforts they are practically destroyed by the end of the day.

To the south the 2nd Marines have a leisurely day clearing out the remnants of the SNLF in the Miura Peninsula. The remaining infantry are killed off in the first couple turns and on turn 78 the last objective is captured. The division has suffered very little losses since arriving, so they will be an ideal vanguard for the push into Tokyo proper. The artillery is already moved northwards by the end of the day but the infantry will take some time.

The destruction of the coastal batteries opens up the way for my minesweepers, who will clear the strait leading into Tokyo Bay so my ships can move to bombard the defenders of the city.

To the north the 3rd Marines continue their largely unopposed advance deeper into Japanese territory. Having mostly overcome a small Japanese counterattack, the 31st Infantry pushes past Miyakami and occupies Hachioji and its 400 point objective. Some Japanese battalions show up and try to exploit my overextension, but the flank is successfully guarded by tanks. I decided early on in the day that there was really no point in keeping so many troops staring at the hills, so I started moving the 31st westwards and the 27th northwards, which will eventually shorten the front a bit and hopefully allow more of the 37th to focus on pushing westwards. The 24th also starts advancing southwards, having finally moved into the positions I wanted. A 200 point coastal battery is taken and infantry start moving along the coast, while a large group of broken Japanese infantry run away.

Kujukuri Beach

The 6th and 1st Marines continue a tough fight in the north, but after what felt like ages the elite Japanese infantry are broken. Incredibly battered and bruised, the 1st uses the time to rest and replenish losses, but the still fresh 6th Marines are happy to take advantage of the Japanese weakness. Some of the Japanese units here are not elite at all, and after incessant artillery, airstrikes and infantry fire they are so weakened that assaulting them yields results like below. A bunch of broken and disrupted units try to retreat towards Sakura, but they are cut off and isolated just like so many times before, and in the process Godo is occupied. This will be the main advance of the day on this front. To the east the 4th Marines clear Hashimoto early in the day and then R&R the rest of the time. I plan to relocate them to the Chiba direction once the 96th Infantry is moved to take over their current position.

The Boso Peninsula is yet again fairly uneventful on this day. The 96th finishes up supporting the 27th in wiping out resistance in the Umatose area and then begins relocating northeast. The 27th and 7th should be more than enough to finish cleaning up the Boso Peninsula, because as far as I can tell all that is left essentially is a couple coastal batteries and spotter units. There are a few stragglers the 27th and supporting engineers will have to deal with however. To the south the 7th cleans up some surrounded broken units and then pushes deep. Some tanks push as far as Chikura, capturing the 400 point objective, while other units will sweep through the coast and interior to make sure nothing escaped. Artillery and other assets start moving northwards since they are no longer needed here.

Casualties

Already displaying a draw at this point, although as mentioned before the singleplayer victory conditions are different than this. Casualty rates are a little lower for both sides compared to the previous day, and it will probably stay like that for a bit given XXIV Corps is doing basically no fighting until relocates away from the Boso Peninsula.

Hunter9502

Post by Hunter9502 »

March 10th - Turn 81-90

Full Map

Sagami Beach

The 5th Marines finally begin a proper advance into Kawasaki, and to my surprise the 500 point objective is taken easily. However as you can see below there is a militia unit moving to reoccupy it. From what I can tell these "independent" units ignore zone of control, so they slipped through my lines when I thought they couldn't. The other militias have been backed into corners and broken by artillery and direct fire. Hopefully in the following day all of this will be cleared.

To the south the 24th Infantry begins preparing to clear out the Izu Peninsula. There are a lot of units around that tried to counterattack in the preceding days but were broken by artillery and air strikes. The few remaining coherent units are broken and driven off as I push across the river, but I do have to deal with some broken units running around behind my lines. Thankfully I was able to avoid a similar situation along the coast, where instead a gigantic group of broken units were encircled.

Meanwhile the 3rd Marines advance into Fuchu and Kokubunji. With the 2nd Marines gradually making their way north the 3rd can shorten their lines and start to make some meaningful advances again. To the west the 31st Infantry has a tough time dealing with counterattacking forces from the 202nd Division, who find all sorts of ways to sneak through my lines, but it should be under control. Other parts of the division advance westwards through the hills and forests, alongside the 37th Infantry.

Kujukuri Beach

The 6th and 1st Marines have to deal with some heavy fighting around Sakura, where a huge concentration of Japanese are. Carpet bombers prove to be a great asset for dealing with approaching units, and by the end of the day much of the resistance is broken, while the town and objective itself are taken. However, based on intel from recon planes I have reason to believe there is still more coming.

The 4th Marines continue to sit static in anticipation of moving westwards soon when the 96th Infantry gets into position, which should be finished in the coming day. Recon reveals a big group of Japanese to the east, but they don't seem to be interesting in attacking.

As expected mopping up the Boso Peninsula was mostly accomplished on this day, although progress was hindered by the awful terrain and infrastructure and some stubborn encircled units. The 7th finishes up with clearing the southern portion of the peninsula and then begins to move northwards. The last bits of Japanese resistance will be dealt with by the 27th, which will have to deal with some artillery and spotters near Futtsu, as well as a big militia unit near Kisarazu.

Casualties

It is becoming pretty apparent that a points victory will be achieved fairly soon. I might end this campaign as soon as I meet the singleplayer conditions for a major victory, which is 46,000 points. With how the AI is performing I expect pushing into the Kanto Plain would be trivial, but I would ideally like to clear Tokyo before ending.

Hunter9502

Post by Hunter9502 »

March 11th - Turn 91-100

Full Map

The GIFs on the first post were updated to include turns 71-100.

Sagami Beach

I am going to start breaking up the images on the Sagami side since the front is growing pretty wide and there is a distinct difference between what is going on in Tokyo versus the western direction. Making an image of the whole thing just adds a lot of unnecessary information that can be seen on the full map if desired.

There's not a ton of things to highlight in comparison to the previous day, but it is clear that the Battle of Tokyo is well underway. Having crossed the bridges from Kawasaki the 5th Marines are beginning to push into the southern most parts of Tokyo, having largely cleared Kawasaki of defenders with the exception of a militia unit that continues to hold out in the rubble of an industrial zone. Combined with the trench, there is a whopping -90% damage modifier in that tile, so direct fire does practically nothing. Still, assaults yield results, so it will likely be cleared soon.

To the west of Tokyo the 31st Infantry and 3rd Marines are forced to maintain a wide front with relatively little resources. Japanese units routinely slip through the cracks and act as an annoyance in my backline. Thankfully the newly freed up 21st Regiment of the 3rd Marines is moving to plug the gap between Hachioji and Tachikawa. The 2nd Marines are almost finished with their redeployment and will soon be able to join the push into Tokyo and Kichijoji. The two reinforcing armored divisions, the 13th and 20th, will be arriving throughout the coming day, though I am not totally sure where I intend to place them yet. The next reinforcements after that will be the 97th Infantry, arriving via a strategy decision on the 15th at a location of my choosing.

Further west a slow advance continues in the forests and the south. The 24th Infantry takes Mishima and cleans up some encircled units. After dealing with the big pocket on the coast I do decide to move those freed troops to deal with the group of Japanese forces that retreated earlier, which are amassed in between Mishima and Hakone. Clearing out whatever remains in the Izu Peninsula will have to wait. On the part of the 37th Infantry they come across remnants of Japanese formation that had been broken and dispersed a while ago. After all this time some units have managed to reconstitute themselves, but overall they aren't much of a threat. A unit of recon Greyhounds sneak into the 500 point VP at Shimo-yoshida.

Kujukuri Beach

This day saw Japanese resistance largely cleared up around Sakura. I did control the lake front at one point but after I started repositioning the 6th Marines some Japanese infantry snuck across the ferry into Tsuchiuki. They shouldn't be any real threat. The 1st Marines make some decent advances along the lake and secure Narita. It is becoming more apparent that there are a decent amount of Japanese forces around Sanrizuka, so that will be a focus for the coming day. The 6th Marines begin moving into Chiba, taking the objective and surrounding some of the militia. Meanwhile the 96th Infantry is almost finished repositioning, so the 4th Marines begin moving westwards. My plan is to position them alongside the 6th Marines to mass for a push towards Tokyo.

Since the Boso Peninsula is practically cleared I am not going to bother showing it in maps anymore. The only things left to clear down there is an encircled militia unit near Kisarazu and some broken infantry north of Matsusaki. The 27th and 7th Infantry are still mostly down there relocating slowly northward, though some assets are already in position near the front.

Casualties

Only 18 points away from 36,000 points, which is the singleplayer threshold for achieving a minor defeat rather than a major. Next is a minor victory at 41,000.

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Hunter9502, how would you rate the Japanese AI in this scenario?
Hunter9502

Post by Hunter9502 »

Yaab wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:36 am Hunter9502, how would you rate the Japanese AI in this scenario?
Initially they are somewhat competent defensively and particularly with the SNLF in the Miura Peninsula they have some real shot at pushing you back, but as things progress they completely fall apart under pressure. They are also not particularly competent at avoiding encirclements. I think part of the problem though is inherent limitations of the game mechanics in long scenarios, fatigued and broken units simply do not recover quickly enough to fight another day. Additionally, they don't seem to be very good at moving their reinforcements to the front, there are multiple cases I have seen where the AI split up a division across both sides of the front. This game also heavily favors the US because of an overwhelming advantage in air and artillery power. It'd be interesting to see how things would be different with two human players, but the scenario is so gigantic that I haven't seen anyone try yet.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Thanks for you insight.

It seems the Japanese AI should be combining units into battalions (to reduce fatigue accumulation) and dig,dig,dig IP and TRENCHES. I don't know if you have observed this behaviour in your campaign.

My experience so far (first 10 turns as Allied human) is that the Japanese counterbattery fire murders my small 4-6 gun artillery units. The beachheads are too shallow do deploy artillery too soon.

Also, its seems strange that Coronet scenario sv1 and v2 do not envision any new Japanese reinforcements. The campaign lasts for two months and Japan are defending symbolic objective (capital Tokyo). Had the Japanase established that the Allied Kanto invasion is no ruse ,the Japanese would have rushed additional units to the Kanto Plain even at the expense of weakening their position elsewhere in the Home Islands.