How To Play Follow Up

Forum for subjects that are not covered in the dedicated forums
rahamy

How To Play Follow Up

Post by rahamy »

Post here as desired for any follow up on the How To Play blog post.

https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/how-to-play
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
cazart

Re: How To Play Follow Up

Post by cazart »

Liked the blog post. Thanks for putting that together!

One thing that didn't get mentioned, in WAN/LAN multiplayer games, there is an added layer of FOW. If you control the Left Wing (or XXX Corps or Sullivan's Division) you only see those units and what's in their LOS. An incredible gaming experience (communication through a small dialog box - orders are brief, can be unintentionally sent to all sides, spotting reports, etc) to be sure. If you can find a few players to pull this off with, you won't regret the effort. (Regular 1 v 1 is still pretty great too.)

Importing that feature to PBEM would be a huge programming lift I am sure (Multiple password/players to start) but would be a massive boon to PBEM community.
Mike Cox
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

From a blog comment by ERNIE EXNER:
Thanks for the article, even as a long time solo player, there is still much for me to learn. One persistent question I’ve had on scenario design and playability is when a scenario is recommended to be played as one side human versus the AI. How rigid is that? I understand and appreciate that it is far easier to program an AI opponent to defend rather than attack. However, there have been so many times that I have been dying to play the other side. For example, can I play as Wellington at Waterloo, the armored cav holding the line against a massive Soviet attack, or horrors of horrors, the French in the 1940 campaign? How badly would that mess up the AI? Are these games reasonably playable? Thanks for any advice and insight, Ye Olde Forte
You can play either side any time you like, always. The only thing we are saying here it the victory conditions are set such that play from that specific side is how they are weighted. If you are playing solo though the Victory conditions aren't terribly relevant - at least not in my view - . Play the scenario in the fashion you like... you can set your own objectives for instance.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

Another (partial) from Nick Howard:
Thank you for back ground information. I am a solo player. Panzer campaigns and modern warfare by preference. Danube Front combined game is my favorite.

1) With Danube Front as my example, why not provide additional scenarios by way of starting points at say Day 3, 5 even 20 or thirty. That way the A1 would be strong later into the game? The Normandy game would also benefit if this was done.

Thanks for the suggestion. Danube already comes with 95 scenarios and Normandy has 96. We could literally make scenarios forever, but at some point we have to say a game is complete and move on.

This is also why we include the scenario editors though, in case members of the community want to expand upon what we include.
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager