ENVOY - a utility for command and control with order delay

Forum for subjects that are not covered in the dedicated forums
Nhefob

Re: ENVOY - a utility for command and control with order delay

Post by Nhefob »

Work as intented for Final Struggle :P Congrats !!

But same issue as before with SYW :? . Mail sent with error message.

I will test tonight several turns on Final Struggle to report tomorrow.
Bigus

Post by Bigus »

This is brilliant!
I missed this thread but downloaded and I'm going to check it out for sure.
musurca

Post by musurca »

Hi everyone, thanks for your patience. I've produced a new release of Envoy (v1.04) that should fix most of the bugs you might have encountered. You can download it here.

I've also added a few new features:

* Leaders are now color-coded on the order-of-battle window to indicate whether they're present at the battle and can receive dispatches.
* There is now a configurable chance of additional dispatch delay every turn. (Credit to Ross Kennedy for suggesting this.)
* Occasionally, Envoy will incorrectly detect the army that the player is controlling. You can now manually correct this from the Settings window on the first turn.

Special thanks go to @homet for exhaustively testing this version and identifying bugs until it was ready for release.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Musurca, I think you have earned a Field Marshall's Baton for this excellent work. Perhaps some of these changes might make their way into the 'Command Control' system in the future. I think it would certainly be an enhancement.
richfed

Post by richfed »

I think I will check this out. Any chance that it may include Early American Wars {F&I War & 1776] in the future?
musurca

Post by musurca »

richfed wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:58 am I think I will check this out. Any chance that it may include Early American Wars {F&I War & 1776] in the future?
I don’t own those games but I suspect that they’ll work fine in Envoy as soon as they get their 4.02 update from WDS, which reorganizes the folder structure inside the game folder. (Envoy currently only knows to look for the relevant data files using that post-4.02 structure.)
Bill-Peters

Post by Bill-Peters »

This is a nice utility program. I would definitely find this interesting for MP team games.
musurca

Post by musurca »

Hi Envoy-eurs,

Just passing the message along that I've released a new version of Envoy (v1.1). This is a fairly major release, with significant changes to both the UI and backend. Here are the highlights:

* You can now browse through the history of sent & received dispatches.
* You can create custom senders and receivers, for sending messages from/to non-HQ units. (For example, you can now send a message from scouting cavalry back to the brigade HQ.)
* You can use Envoy with hotseat battles.

Beyond that, I've also made a number of fixes and quality-of-life adjustments:

* The Envoy executable is now digitally-signed (thanks to the support of Rich Hamilton & WDS), which should make Windows security much happier.
* Allied armies now appear in your order-of-battle.
* You can re-link Envoy to your battle file if its name or location in the path changes.
* You can now resize the window.
* Envoy no longer breaks when using non-Western region settings in Windows.

Please keep in mind that the procedure for creating a new game has changed somewhat—I recommend that you browse the revised manual for instructions. Also note that while Envoy v1.1 should work with your existing saves, messages sent with older versions of Envoy will not appear in the dispatch history. (I recommend backing up the save files, just in case.)

This release would not have been possible without @homet, who made a number of great suggestions that led to new features, beta tested every release candidate, and wrote most of the new manual. Thanks also to Rich Hamilton for his support for Envoy, which he was kind enough to mention in the recent Tally Ho Corner article about upcoming WDS games.
Last edited by musurca on Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

So does ENVOY work for single play aganst the AI or only when playing human against human?
musurca

Post by musurca »

Verdun1916 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:56 pm So does ENVOY work for single play aganst the AI or only when playing human against human?
It can be used in both scenarios. Envoy supports solo, hotseat, and unencrypted PBEM play. (Note that for hotseat games, you'll want to start another instance of Envoy for use by the other side.)