thoughts on Korea '85?

Forum for the Modern Campaigns games series
PopeAdrian

thoughts on Korea '85?

Post by PopeAdrian »

Howdy yall! Im looking to get Korea '85 and wanted to know yalls opinion on the game. Im not a huge fan of the cold war but really want a korean war game so this may scratch the itch. So what do yall think? Any good? How are the campaigns and the multiplayer potential ? Did yall like the scenarios? Thanks so much!
RickyB

Re: thoughts on Korea '85?

Post by RickyB »

I enjoyed playing both the campaign and some of the scenarios in it HTH, a lot of action for both sides. My only recommendation in playing the campaign would be to consider not allowing nukes/chemicals to be used. Once they were used, the front line bogged down, and I have heard similar reports from a couple of others that played the campaign.
PopeAdrian

Post by PopeAdrian »

RickyB wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:51 pm I enjoyed playing both the campaign and some of the scenarios in it HTH, a lot of action for both sides. My only recommendation in playing the campaign would be to consider not allowing nukes/chemicals to be used. Once they were used, the front line bogged down, and I have heard similar reports from a couple of others that played the campaign.
Ah good to know, thank you so much!
AngryBug

Post by AngryBug »

I've played the full campaign HtH as each side and really loved it. In Neither game did we use nukes or chemical munitions. I found it tougher to play as the ROK-US. I think the capabilities of US airpower present in Korea and Japan at the time are under represented for the game but it's a lot of fun.
RichLink

Post by RichLink »

I liked it, high tempo of opps, need some thought on deploying SK troops against the NK tunnels. Wish there were more Marines.... ;)
TANSTAAFL

Post by TANSTAAFL »

Of all the existing Modern Campaigns games, this is the one I would most like to see updated. I think a contemporary take on the Korean face off would be fascinating. Of course, there are a host of challenges in doing this, not the least of which is how to handle forty years of development in things like electronic warfare, digital communications, drones, GPS, and all that.

The current MC system grew out of the Panzer Campaigns games, which are built on a game framework designed to model WWII-era combat primarily. For 1985 the Modern Campaign system already has issues with things like air power and intelligence gathering, but the problems are relatively minor. Fast forward to 2023 though and I'm not sure the existing game system could be massaged enough to make it work without requiring in effect the development of an entirely new game engine.

But yeah, it would be very fascinating to see some sort of game modeling a hypothetical conflict on the peninsula in the here and now.