Civil War Battles Editor

Forum to share all game modifications
redbaron

Civil War Battles Editor

Post by redbaron »

Do any of the Civil War games contain a map of the entire US theatre of operations in the editor?

I was thinking that maybe Forgotten Campaigns might contain the such a massive map.

Many thanks in advance for an answer.
krmiller_usa

Re: Civil War Battles Editor

Post by krmiller_usa »

Overland is the biggest map covering from just below Richmond north to Fayetteville, from Port Royal west to Orange Courthouse.

I have a large map in Gettysburg from a custom scenario that covers from Woodsboro in the south to just north of Heidlersburg, Pa and from Cashtown east to Manchester, Pa.

I believe these are the two largest maps in the series.
Ken Miller
3-37 Armor

Post by 3-37 Armor »

krmiller_usa wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:28 am Overland is the biggest map covering from just below Richmond north to Fayetteville, from Port Royal west to Orange Courthouse.

I have a large map in Gettysburg from a custom scenario that covers from Woodsboro in the south to just north of Heidlersburg, Pa and from Cashtown east to Manchester, Pa.

You must be talking about the Gettysburg map that David (Strela) was kind enough to create for me by combining two of the maps that came with the game. At one point I had a (since removed) scenario pack up on the Blitz that made use of the map, but when doing an update last year, I found that somehow all of the scenarios would not load when attempting to play them, but they all worked with the editor. After much frustration, I scrapped them entirely, but still have the map and custom OOB files. I might try again someday, but not anytime soon. Really though, the scenario pack never did get many downloads, and I've never heard of anyone using it anywhere.

Truthfully, I would have really liked to have had a map that went as far north as Chambersburg, Pa but that would have been asking for too much at the time. Also, I doubt the Chambersburg area was ever mapped as part of some super-duper sized master map. From what I've heard the map editor itself is not at all user friendly, and I doubt it will ever be made available if it hasn't by now.
krmiller_usa

Post by krmiller_usa »

Yes that's it, I have played two days of the !!Weather Terrible Swift Sword July 1 - 5, 1863 before my opponent disappeared on me.
The only problem I found was you had forgotten to provide a release for Detroiband's brigdade.
We had no problems playing the game other than it's impossible for the yankee cavalry to slow down Heth's division long enough for I corps to arrive so the yanks can't hold the ground around Gettysburg. I tried and took heavy losses and had to retreat eventually managed to set up a defensive line around Germantown and along Marsh Creek and Rock Creek, got the army concentrated and was starting an attack when my opponent disappeared.
Ken Miller
3-37 Armor

Post by 3-37 Armor »

krmiller_usa wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:17 pm Yes that's it, I have played two days of the !!Weather Terrible Swift Sword July 1 - 5, 1863 before my opponent disappeared on me.
The only problem I found was you had forgotten to provide a release for Detroiband's brigdade.
We had no problems playing the game other than it's impossible for the yankee cavalry to slow down Heth's division long enough for I corps to arrive so the yanks can't hold the ground around Gettysburg. I tried and took heavy losses and had to retreat eventually managed to set up a defensive line around Germantown and along Marsh Creek and Rock Creek, got the army concentrated and was starting an attack when my opponent disappeared.
I'll bet there were more oversights on my part than missing the de Troibrand release. I will confess that when I designed the scenario I was trying to get players to fight a different battle than another semi historical Gettysburg. What I was attempting was to replicate the situation described in the Gingrich/Forstchen alt history "Gettysburg". If you had to go down to Germantown to reorganize, I guess I was partially successful with that at least.
redbaron

Post by redbaron »

krmiller_usa wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:28 am Overland is the biggest map covering from just below Richmond north to Fayetteville, from Port Royal west to Orange Courthouse.

Thank you for this information. I appreciate it.