Introduction to Napoleonic Battles

Forum for the Napoleonic Battles games series
rahamy

Re: Introduction to Napoleonic Battles

Post by rahamy »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:38 am Can we download these articles or am I missing the link.
I don't have the published versions in downloadable format at this time. Have Alex's original article, but not the additional examples, links, etc.

Will see what can be done.

As I typed that I had a thought... so went up to view one of the articles and then did Ctrl+P to Print. One of my options is to Save as PDF - so I did that and it worked. The formatting is not great, but the links seem to be retained, so there's that...
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Thanks, I personally usually download the file on my PC then transfer to my ipad.
kennedygtk

Post by kennedygtk »

Please continue this series--incredibly interesting and helpful. It would be nice if it could be expanded to other series, in particular, Musket & Pike
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

We'll be publishing the next installment in the near future... had a few other things to address recently. ;-)
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
rahamy

Post by rahamy »

4th Installment coming this Friday. :ugeek:
Rich Hamilton
WDS Operations Manager
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

rahamy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:49 pm 4th Installment coming this Friday. :ugeek:
Good reading for the weekend Sir, Excellent :D
Erzhog Karl

Post by Erzhog Karl »

The 4th Installment is an amazing and totally outstanding piece of work, IMHO and estimation. It has highlighted, for me personally, the greater need to crunch the numbers, utilise good staff work and use the improved facilities of the games to this end.

"The topic covered in this section isn't the easiest and certainly falls under a special category. It's likely to interest a specific group of players, and not everyone may find it appealing and useful."

I found this topic to be most relevant, appealing and I believe, if used correctly and as outlined, more than simply 'useful' but absolutely essential in seeking a successful outcome to initial maneuvers and dispositions even before blades are crossed. An Outstanding read !

"The concept described below holds particular relevance for the Campaign mode played with FOW, where information about the enemy's size and location is limited. It is also applicable to large scenarios set on large maps that allow for extensive maneuvering."

"In my opinion, campaign mode is how serious Napoleonic wargaming should be done. Not only does it offer a true FOW element rarely found in scenarios, but it also enforces continuity of losses from battle to battle across most campaigns. When players realize that casualties from one battle carry over to the next, their entire approach to the game immediately and radically changes. In scenarios, there is no "tomorrow," prompting French players, for instance, to readily commit their French Guard at the battle of Borodino. However, Napoleon's considerations not to commit the Guard were beyond the battle of Borodino. Campaign mode brings this historical experience as performance in each battle often has implications for the rest of the Campaign. This play mode stands as the hidden gem of WDS Napoleonic Battles series, providing access to a richer and more rewarding gaming experience."

I can add nothing of any substance other than to highlight certain comments as above: "Campaign mode enforces continuity of losses from battle to battle across most campaigns." In scenarios, there is no "tomorrow," and "Campaign mode brings this historical experience as performance in each battle often has implications for the rest of the Campaign." This final comment summarises all that has gone before it "This play mode stands as the hidden gem of WDS Napoleonic Battles series, providing access to a richer and more rewarding gaming experience." A "Hidden Gem" and "access to a richer and more rewarding gaming experience" describes this perfectly IMHO.

An article, I believe, of great insight, depth and knowledge in providing not only a greater understanding of our games but of how to play them more historically and hopefully, more successfully.

An excellent and outstanding piece of work for my money, 'Pure Gold', and my thanks for it.
sdporres

Post by sdporres »

Ive read these a few times and these are wonderful.

In Part 4, discussing FL, MLR and RL, there is an example of a Hussar sqd attacking a skirmish company and then a battery behind it. It is pointed out that the Hussars do *not* overrun the skirmishers but instead stop beside them and then meleeing them and subsequently the battery.

Why not overrun the skirmishers and then melee the battery? Wouldnt the Hussars become disordered from meeling the skirmishers, as well, weakening their attack against the battery?

Since the skirmishers dont block LOS and don't prevent the battery from firing on the Hussars, I dont see the reason to not overrun them.

Thank you!
Looking for a community of players to play the Napoleonic games?
Check out Napoleonic Wargaming Club (NWC)!
www.wargame.ch/wc/nwc/Napann1.htm
oz77

Post by oz77 »

sdporres wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:45 am
In case hussars overrun the light company, they will not be able to reach the battery due to a lack of movement points. There are 6 hexes to cover to reach the battery (including one elevation level).

Cavalry has 21 movement turns, and in this case, they can advance only 4 hexes as there is high ground in their path.
However, there are 3 additional hexes a cavalry can advance in charge mode. This effectively extends the distance hussars can cover in this example from 4 hexes to 7 hexes, which is enough to reach the battery but only in 'continue charge' mode.

This is a nasty trick many players do not realize: deploying their skirmishers ahead of batteries to have the guns suddenly overrun on the next turn.

Also remember that cavalry in 'continue charge' mode cannot be stopped by ZOC. They have to be physically blocked by friendly or enemy units. So the best cover for batteries positioned close to enemy cavalry is a square in the same hex and to watch your skirmishes not being in front of your batteries if there is an enemy cavalry within a striking distance.

PS. Units do not get disordered meleeing skirmishes, unless skirmishes headcount is above 225 (determined by PDT parameters), so you can melee lonely skirmish companies by your cavalry without getting disordered.
KAreil

Post by KAreil »

I've merged the blog posts into one online document for ease of reference, mainly for myself but anybody can have a look if interested:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KGE ... sp=sharing
Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu.
(PzGrenB 13, Ried im Innkreis)