CWB Optional Rule Changes

Forum for the Civil War Battles games series
Ashdoll

Re: CWB Optional Rule Changes

Post by Ashdoll »

Here's my list of which optional rules can become defaulted (hard-coded) in core game rules with possibly few controversies. No debates. Just for your reference. BTW, I absolutely support that WDS seeks opinions from the wide community before releasing major changes. Besides, some major changes should NOT be set as default in core game rules directly. Instead, the major changes would better be introduced into games as optional rules first, and then, based on a wider test and feedback among the community, they may be set as default/ be adjusted/ be given up in the future. That's a better workflow. Good luck to all.

# Top 1-5
Quality Melee Modifiers
Quality Fire Modifiers
Isolation Rules
Mounted Cavalry Skirmishers
Density Fire Modifier

# Others
Flank Morale Modifier
Higher Fatigue Recovery Rates
Artillery Retire by Prolonge
Artillery Ammo by Cannon
Quaama

Post by Quaama »

Ashdoll wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:39 pm Besides, some major changes should NOT be set as default in core game rules directly. Instead, the major changes would better be introduced into games as optional rules first, and then, based on a wider test and feedback among the community, they may be set as default/ be adjusted/ be given up in the future. That's a better workflow.
That's some smart thinking. An excellent idea.
And 'Yes', a far better workflow with minimised grief for the company and customers.
Steel God

Post by Steel God »

These are the rules I use in all my ACW battles (a few of the less important ones are flexible, but MDF/ADF are core for me):

Manual defensive Fire (yes, phased play is the more realistic of the 2 options)
Quality Fire Modifiers (better troops perform better)
VPs for Leaders (makes people protect them)
Density Fire Modifier (simple math people)
Night Movement Fatigue (makes people rest their units)
Mounted Cavalry Skirmishers (gives Cavalry true value)
Quality Melee Modifiers (better troops perform better)
Isolation (I accept the historical precedent that troops of the period would surrender in such situations)
Weak ZOC (gives units a chance to fight their way out of potential isolation)
Automatic Defensive Fire (use this because I only play with Phased Play, so the ADF allows 1 email exchange per turn)
Flank Morale Modifier (it's a reality)
Bridge Limit & Repair (necessary in those scenarios it applies to)
Artillery Retire by Prolong (it's rarely used but a reality)
Artillery Ammo by Cannon (I find it plays better than 1 battery 1 shot)
Mixed Organization Penalty (I use it, but the point raised that it happened all the time is interesting. Yes it happened but were the units just a little bit different under an unfamiliar commander? If yes, was it 16% different?)
Extreme FOW (I like that it makes you scout out terrain to find the best vantage points)
"Listen, I can design a better pencil, but I can't stop someone from sticking it up their nose." - John Tiller
Lightfoot

Post by Lightfoot »

Here is my two cents worth.

I have found that most of my games are played with all Optional Rules ON except "Manual Defensive Fire", "Artillery Capture", and "Extreme Fog of War".

Manual Defensive Fire - Because it is the switch that changes game play from Turn based to Phased play, it has to be an optional rule.

Artillery Capture - This rule as currently implemented cause serious problems with scenario balance since it can make artillery capture impossible in some scenario situations which alter the game balance. It has to stay optional until its handling of VP allocation is fixed.

Extreme Fog of War - Adds very little but makes testing for LOS for placing units impossible. Until testing terrain for LOS is added back into it, it needs to be optional.

Some others that might have problems if not optional:

Bridge Limit and Repair - This may cause problems in some scenarios that were designed with the intent of bridges staying destroyed. But I can't say I know of any. I just vaguely remember that in one of the games the scenario was required that you couldn't repair the bridges for it to work.

Artillery Retire by Prolonge - Mostly an irritation. I sometimes forget about it until one of my units with an "Alt" move passes by and the stupid artillery units tries to follow by Prolonge.

Automated Defensive Fire - When the game is played in "Phase Mode" (Manual Defensive Fire ON), this can be optional for someone who wants to actually control their units during the Defensive Fire phase. Rarely used though since for PBEM it adds an extra round of mailings.

My opinion: I have always thought that "Optional Rules" should be where the developers put new rules so they could be tested by players before becoming permanent rules. If they improved the game, then made permanent. Otherwise, go into the waste basket.
Dion

Post by Dion »

I have a question about the optional rule Extreme Fog of War. What's the difference between that and regular Fog of War?
Quaama

Post by Quaama »

Dion wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:02 pm I have a question about the optional rule Extreme Fog of War. What's the difference between that and regular Fog of War?
The answer is in the User Manual (pp20-22). It's a bit lengthy to reproduce here and includes pictures to aid the written description.

When you have the game open click on Help (furthest to the right at the top). In the drop-down list, click on User Manual. The Manual should then open in your browser (or somewhere else depending on how your computer is set up to open PDF files).
You will see in that drop-down list there are other options for you to select, such as General Help which includes a listing of the Optional Rules and a brief description of each one.

[You can also access those documents, and many more, by looking through the File Explorer (Windows). Select the folder for the game, click on it, click on Manuals and you should see a listing of all the manuals. The number of manuals varies between titles but there should be over a dozen for each one.]
Dion

Post by Dion »

Quaama wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:29 pm
Dion wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:02 pm I have a question about the optional rule Extreme Fog of War. What's the difference between that and regular Fog of War?
The answer is in the User Manual (pp20-22). It's a bit lengthy to reproduce here and includes pictures to aid the written description.
The last Civil Wars Battles game I played was Shiloh 2.0, then with no fault to the manufactures, my computer broke down, so I haven't played any games with Extreme Fog of War, only regular Fog of War. Since I don't own the current version of the game, I down loaded the rule book from the WDS website. The rule book was pretty detailed with screen shots that were very helpful and interesting. I think Extreme Fog of War is more realistic than he old Fog of War.
Quaama

Post by Quaama »

Dion wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:40 pm
The last Civil Wars Battles game I played was Shiloh 2.0, then with no fault to the manufactures, my computer broke down, so I haven't played any games with Extreme Fog of War, only regular Fog of War. Since I don't own the current version of the game, I down loaded the rule book from the WDS website. The rule book was pretty detailed with screen shots that were very helpful and interesting. I think Extreme Fog of War is more realistic than he old Fog of War.
Shiloh 2.0 is a long time ago. It seems time for you to draw your sword.

Fortunately for you, WDS has a sale on very soon. You can get a new title or two and join the ACWGC (https://www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/) - you can even join if you only have the 'Demo'. You should then be ready to battle in the tournaments next year (or arrange your own against other members). Your location indicates that you may not be joining me on my side, but you'll find some decent sorts on the Union side (I've had some enjoyable games, and conversations with many of 'those people').
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

I support this move 100%, and I am aligned more or less with Bill Peter's list. I think having all of these optional rules really makes it a headache for newbies and grogs alike, who have know idea what is the "right" way to play, and it's my main gripe with the game system.

Of course the choice between phase and turn needs to remain optional, but remove all the fluff already and decide on a game system and run with it. You will never make everyone 100% happy anyway.

Thanks again for considering scaling down the ungainly morass of optional rules.
Quaama

Post by Quaama »

Is there any further update on the way this is heading?

I ask because I'm worried about where this might be heading. A number of people have asked that 'Mixed Organization Penalty' (MOP) be made default. Why? I do not know because no real reasons were given. That is a very odd rule that should, in the interests of simulation, be removed. As I said before:
By checking MOP then 'mixing' units you are lowering the morale of 'offending' units by 1/6 (16.67%). I don't know of any historical instance where a unit's morale plummeted down from 100% to 83% in a twenty-minute period merely because another friendly unit from outside their brigade came within the same 125 square yard area as them. It just doesn't make any sense.

Can anyone present any significant historical justification for such a thing?