Age of Sail???

Forum for the Naval Campaigns games series
Squadman45

Age of Sail???

Post by Squadman45 »

I am curious about the ability to represent XIX and previous centuries with the engine... maybe lacks important features BUT i remember Age of Sail with Tiller Campaigns, not the best title but a really interesting and different game.

Problem? a different engine and maybe is faster a new title using actual engine.

Is not like we have a lot of wargames covering it in PC and last one, for me was a little disappointed, you create a naval title but land battles has to much importance and you really cant focus in the naval part as i wanted.
Kolc

Re: Age of Sail???

Post by Kolc »

Age of Sail is a good game. Played a lot long ago.
Cédric Monget

Post by Cédric Monget »

A tactical or better again an operational level game on 18th century and Napoleonic era naval warfare would be an immediate purchase for me.
GMcClellan

Post by GMcClellan »

I greatly enjoyed Age of Sail, and actually mentioned it to John at Tiller-Con III.

That said, to get back to the original question if it can be done in this engine?

Not without a great deal of work. First off, there would need to be a major rewrite of the movement system to account for wind and rigging. Probably need to at least consider current as well.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Ammo loads, aim point (hull or rigging), crews and melee and morale and striking...

As I said, a great deal of work.
Scenario Designer: Naval Campaigns & Musket and Pike
Squadman45

Post by Squadman45 »

Yes, engine needs a excesive rework because you need control sails, hull, guns, crew damage (i think in boarding actions with sailors and naval infantry) and a lot of details in ships that now are not present.

Is something i miss a lot, a good title covering the period, Ultimate admiral for me was dissapointing in Age of Sail but was more in the line i want in Dreadnoughts even when it lacks a strong scen orientation (lack of editor).

Mare Nostrvm was an interesting title and with a little work could be a great base for an age of sail title but is not like we are going to see something like this.
Stejones82

Post by Stejones82 »

Personally, I would see this as a new engine. Just as different land war eras are represented by different engines, e.g. Nappy, EAW, M&P, etc), I think we would need an entirely different (even with similarities) way to handle even the few items Gary mentioned above.

Steve
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

I loved playing Age of Sail back in the day!

I would find myself content with a relaunch of that game as it was
but compatible with modern Windows versions.
ivanmoe

Post by ivanmoe »

Verdun1916 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:31 am I loved playing Age of Sail back in the day!
That was the first computer game that I online.

It was fun! :D
ivanmoe

Post by ivanmoe »

Never tried this, but it looks interesting:

http://www.youplay.it/play/cp_dynamicIndex2.asp
Verdun1916

Post by Verdun1916 »

ivanmoe wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:02 pm
Verdun1916 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:31 am I loved playing Age of Sail back in the day!
That was the first computer game that I online.

It was fun! :D
I got mine when I bought the John Tiller ACW and Napoleonic War collections on Matrix games MANY years ago. Age of Sail was included in the second one.
Damn, it was fun!